Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-17-2013, 09:32 AM
KingpenM3 KingpenM3 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Louisiana
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 107
Mein Auto: 2013 535i
Auto Start Stop- I really don't hate it that much.

After reading about the ASS function on here so often, I expected the absolute worst. But I really don't mind it that much. I do wish that you could set how long the car has to be still before it is activated yourself. I think it is a bit quick on the draw. It seems almost calming to be waiting at a red light without the engine just wanting to go. I also think the Auto-H makes the ASS even better. Pull up to stop somewhere, go ahead and let off the brake, engine goes off, and then everything pops back to life when you're ready to go.
__________________

2013 BMW 535i ED-11/23/12 Redelivery- 1/12/13
1978 BMW 320i (paused project)
2009 BMW Z4sdrive35i (ret.)
1995 BMW M3 (ret.)
1987 BMW 325i (ret.)
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 01-17-2013, 10:22 AM
Die Wolfe's Avatar
Die Wolfe Die Wolfe is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern California
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,050
Mein Auto: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingpenM3 View Post
After reading about the ASS function on here so often, I expected the absolute worst. But I really don't mind it that much. I do wish that you could set how long the car has to be still before it is activated yourself. I think it is a bit quick on the draw. It seems almost calming to be waiting at a red light without the engine just wanting to go. I also think the Auto-H makes the ASS even better. Pull up to stop somewhere, go ahead and let off the brake, engine goes off, and then everything pops back to life when you're ready to go.
Couldn't agree more. It sounded like a huge deal and concerned me before we picked up our 535i. However, it ended up not being a big deal at all.
__________________
2013 BMW X5///M
2012 BMW 535i M Sport

2008 Chevy Trailblazer SS (Sale pending)
1971 Buick Skylark
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-17-2013, 10:38 AM
solstice solstice is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,327
Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Have any of you who uses this function gotten a good idea of your fuel savings over a longer period? Is it more than 1 mpg? I'm not interrested in details as how many stop lights, distance etc. just your mpg with it on vs. off if you have measured both. Both our cars have it ( 2011 M3 and 2013 Cayenne ) but both are set to permanently off since neither of us like the sensation of the engine shutting off and on.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-17-2013, 10:58 AM
Die Wolfe's Avatar
Die Wolfe Die Wolfe is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern California
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,050
Mein Auto: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Have any of you who uses this function gotten a good idea of your fuel savings over a longer period? Is it more than 1 mpg? I'm not interrested in details as how many stop lights, distance etc. just your mpg with it on vs. off if you have measured both. Both our cars have it ( 2011 M3 and 2013 Cayenne ) but both are set to permanently off since neither of us like the sensation of the engine shutting off and on.
Never measured the mpg but have been meaning to out of sheer curiosity. I doubt it's a huge difference; maybe just enough to give BMW their mpg numbers for advertisement.

I didn't know M series BMWs had ASS; my X5M doesn't have it so I figured it wouldn't even be an option on any M's???
__________________
2013 BMW X5///M
2012 BMW 535i M Sport

2008 Chevy Trailblazer SS (Sale pending)
1971 Buick Skylark
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-17-2013, 11:08 AM
solstice solstice is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,327
Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Wolfe View Post
Never measured the mpg but have been meaning to out of sheer curiosity. I doubt it's a huge difference; maybe just enough to give BMW their mpg numbers for advertisement.

I didn't know M series BMWs had ASS; my X5M doesn't have it so I figured it wouldn't even be an option on any M's???
Maybe the M3 is balancing on the gas guzzler line and BMW thought it was worth and attempt to land on the right side and failed? Who knows but the E9X M3 has it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Die Wolfe's Avatar
Die Wolfe Die Wolfe is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern California
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,050
Mein Auto: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Maybe the M3 is balancing on the gas guzzler line and BMW thought it was worth and attempt to land on the right side and failed? Who knows but the E9X M3 has it.
Damn, but at least it sounds like you can disable it. On the F10 you have to always disable it each time you restart the car.
__________________
2013 BMW X5///M
2012 BMW 535i M Sport

2008 Chevy Trailblazer SS (Sale pending)
1971 Buick Skylark
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-17-2013, 11:21 AM
solstice solstice is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,327
Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Wolfe View Post
Damn, but at least it sounds like you can disable it. On the F10 you have to always disable it each time you restart the car.
Yes, it's the same as on the Cayenne. You switch it off and it stay off.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-17-2013, 11:25 AM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,931
Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
I like the ASS myself as well, its nice and quiet at a stop light. If I need to get off the light quick, I just pop it in DS mode and the ASS will turn off. The weather here lately has been below 37 deg F where the ASS is diable. My MPG computer show a decrease of about 2 MPG, but some of that could be due to the winter gas blend as well.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-17-2013, 11:27 AM
solstice solstice is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,327
Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I like the ASS myself as well, its nice and quiet at a stop light. If I need to get off the light quick, I just pop it in DS mode and the ASS will turn off. The weather here lately has been below 37 deg F where the ASS is diable. My MPG computer show a decrease of about 2 MPG, but some of that could be due to the winter gas blend as well.
Thanks, 2 mpg is rather significant.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-17-2013, 11:42 AM
Keyser Soze's Avatar
Keyser Soze Keyser Soze is offline
just like that, he's gone
Location: Northern California
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,476
Mein Auto: 2013 535
F10 owners, go over into the coding thread and it's really easy to code yourself even if you have no idea WTF they coders are talking about. There are instructions available that run along the lines of: 1 download 2 install 3 connect 4 start program 5 go to this directory 6 change this (SOME LONG GERMAN WORD) from "Aktiv" to "Nicht Aktiv" in a dropdown box 7 save 8 done

ASS wasn't a show stopper for me but I still coded it off...........not that I even drive my F10 much : (
__________________
2013 F10 535i M-Sport, Sophisto Grau, 6-speed MT
2011 E90 335i Sport, Jet Black, Sport Auto, Performance Edition
2002 E46 330i Sport, Jet Black, 5-speed MT, lots of upgrades
2001 E46 330Ci Sport, Steel Grey, 5-speed MT....and more

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-18-2013, 10:31 PM
gsmith999 gsmith999 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southern California, USA
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 132
Mein Auto: 2012 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Wolfe View Post
Damn, but at least it sounds like you can disable it. On the F10 you have to always disable it each time you restart the car.
Had mine re-coded by the dealer to remember last state, and I can't tell you how much more I enjoy my car now. Maybe for some ASS is no big deal, but my stop and go daily commute was not friendly with the ASS system.
Have your car programmed by the dealer. You can still use the function if you want, but at least you won't have to keep disabling it every time you start the car.
__________________

2012 535i
Space Gray / Black Dakota / Anthracite
Premium - Premium Sound - Tech - Cameras - Active Cruise
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-19-2013, 05:46 AM
skymast skymast is offline
Registered User
Location: Nashville
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 67
Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535
i dont like it and disabled it. I could never get use to turning it off and new passengers thought the car ran out of gas.
__________________
2012 BMW 535 ... Silver / Black, M Sport, Premium, Premium Sound, Technology, Heated Seats, Sport Automatic
Other Cars ... Mercedes S550, Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ, Porsche 996 Turbo
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-19-2013, 06:00 AM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,931
Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by skymast View Post
i dont like it and disabled it. I could never get use to turning it off and new passengers thought the car ran out of gas.
I guess your passengers never been in a Hybrid before
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms