Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 01-17-2013, 11:15 AM
Past Sponsor

Send a message via Skype™ to ian@jewelorjalopy
Mein Auto: 2000 540it Sport - sold
Who did you talk to before? Take it to a reputable BMW independent mechanic and get a second opinion.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:23 PM

Mein Auto: 95 740il
i have a 95 740il and sometimes about 40 mile pr hr and give it gas it feels like it slips a little car jerks but then is fine sometimes when first starting out in morning the gears don't shift right away unless pick up speed then it shifts fine this has been doing this for about 3000 miles tonight sitting at a light the trans safe light came on then I jumped on thruway and it did not come back on anybody guide me thru this
Old 06-11-2013, 06:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1995 325i Convertible
These can take Maxlife ATF and a couple others, preferably full synthetic. I personally like Redline D4-ATF...Mobil 1 also has one meeting all the requirements. takes about 9 or 10 quarts to change w/o the torque converter...and the filter of course.
The fail-safe or limp-home mode does not specifically indicate something drastic...low fluid or "ugly" filter can be the culprit. Resolution is the important thing when you get "heads up" (or before as preventative). Be careful about some of these transmission shops Never had a problem with AAMCO)...I always tell them very clearly what will go into my transmission...not their 'standard' one size fits all with 'my magic' additive.
Got my fingers crossed for you...Keep It Simple Sir (KISS) No...I am not flirting with you!!!

Last edited by jitsjaf2009; 06-11-2013 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Clarification