Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 08-21-2012, 10:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01' 330CI 6MT / 00' 540i
Tonight I made decent progress, imo: I removed intake manifold. Also, everything is ready for valve covers removal.

VCG is leaking badly:

Fuel rail is out. Those clips on injectors are PITA:

Valley pan is leaking badly too:

Next step: valve covers and continue to disassemble front of the engine: water pump, alternator, harmonic balancer, etc...

Last edited by Nervous; 08-21-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:57 PM

Valve covers are out:

Here is a video of timing chain slapping:
Old 08-30-2012, 07:42 PM

Long time with no updates. The reason - J-bolt. First of all, me and my friend fabricated the crankshaft holder tool:

On this pic you already see 3/4 drive 40" breaker bar. But at the beginning I tried to use Craftsman 20" 1/2 drive breaker bar + another 30" pipe. No go. The breaker bar flexed too much with risk to shatter in any minute.
I ordered 40" 3/4 drive breaker bar + 3/4" 27mm socket from Amazon (you can see them on the pic). I still had to use a pipe extension, but this time I felt much more confident, since nothing flexed that badly. And, finally, J-bolt is out!

I've also ordered M62TU timing tools from Amazon for $355 ($375 shipped).
Next step - removal lower timing chain cover.

Last edited by Nervous; 08-30-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:50 PM

Update. Finally, took off the lower timing chain cover. I had to unbolt PS pump and A/T oil cooler as well:

As you can see, there is no plastic left on U-shaped guide, it all is disintegrated.

I am debating - remove or not remove the upper oil pan (to cleanup, replace the gasket, replace motor mounts, etc). Will see.

I've got timing tools from Amazon's seller, but they sent me a wrong kit. I ordered a blue one with the L-shaped flywheel locking tool but they sent me the red case without out, morons. Need to send it back and not sure if they can send me the one I ordered since now it is marked as out-of-stock item....
Old 09-14-2012, 08:55 PM

Just a little progress. I got my timing tools and installed camshaft locker blocks. Took me some time since first time I've installed them incorrectly. I forgot that at TDC of the first cyl the camshafts could be at two different positions. First time I installed them as follows (THIS IS INCORRECT INSTALLATION!):

As you can see, there are no markings on the top of the square part of the camshafts. So, I had to redo this by rotating the crankshaft one full revolution. But there was a problem: I had already removed the timing chain:

Thus, I had to CAREFULLY rotate camshafts watching position of each piston and each lobes, making corrections in their positions periodically, so, piston would never meet valves. I finally managed to do this and now the CORRECT INSTALLATION of blocks:

So, now I need to order a laundry list of parts (I'll publish it later) and I am also waiting for Beisan VANOS seals to be released for M62TU. Raj said it might become available really soon (like in 2 weeks), thus, I want to do VANOS as well.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:06 PM

Not much of updates yet: don't have time to work on car.
I removed all the parts I am going to replace:

Also started preparation work to replace VANOS seals:

I've ordered VANOS seals from Beisan today.

In a meantime I decided to have a look on fuel filter. I am going to make a big order for all (or most) of the parts and wanted to know if I need the fuel filter as well.
Well, I was surprised. I was told that on 540s the fuel filter is simple - without pressure regulator. Here is what I found:

Obviously, this is the one with the pressure regulator, like my 330ci has. Seems to me only the non-VANOS 540s had fuel filter w/o pressure regulator. Unfortunately, it was impossible to see the production date w/o removing the filter (it is stamped on the top of the filter). So, I removed it:

Yep, 1999 is the production year for this filter, it is the original one. No wonder the fuel drained from it looks like this:

So, will be replaced as well.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: 02 530, 02 540, 07 525
I did my chain guide rails a year ago. It took me two solid days of work to complete it. My engine had over 200,000 miles on it when they finally went and is approaching 290,000 miles now. I know how much work is involved and and what all parts should be replaced when doing this job. It looks like you are on the right track. I wouldn't hesitate to do the job again, now that I've done it once. It's not that bad, it's just labor intensive and requires some special tools.

I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm about to be eaten by a great white shark or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:03 AM

Thanks, man! Wow, 290Kmiles, impressive mileage!
Old 10-02-2012, 11:05 AM

Mein Auto: 02 530, 02 540, 07 525
I agree, especially on original trans, fluid, and filter!!

I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm about to be eaten by a great white shark or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:03 PM

Started to rebuild VANOSes:

BTW, these VANOS bolts are .... tight!

Old seals are out:

It took me some time to remove the rubber ring (not the teflon one). I had to fish it from the bottom of the VANOS shaft.

Inserting new rubber ring:

Inserting teflon ring:

Done:

The last thing to do is to press the VANOS lip. But I'll do it later, once I put the new seals into the second VANOS unit.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:31 PM

Long time no updates, no much of spare time. What is done up to now:
1) Valley pan. I investigated the myth about so called 'revised version' of valley pan and found out that there is none. The valley pan you can currently buy from BMW is ABSOLUTELY the same as I had in my car. Therefore, I decided it is pointless to waste $70+ on it. I just cleaned the old gasket material off the pan and re-applied Toyota FIPG (form-in-place-gasket) and re-installed it:

2) Finished rebuilding of VANOS units, including pressing the lip, ready to install:
Here, on the left side the VANOS with pressed lip and on the right is not yet:

Closer look to the pressed lip:

Both units are completely done and aligned:

BTW, the VANOS press is on sale now! Let me know if interested.

3) Installed new fuel filter.

4) Pre-fit new DEPO smoked headlight lenses (just lenses, I am keeping my stock OEM xenons), installed DEPO smoked side markers:

Along with Hella smoked LED tails car should look gorgeous:

BTW, does anybody interested in tail light ballasts? I got retrofit kit, but since I've updated LCM I don't really need the ballasts.....

Now I am preparing big orders to www.thebmwpartstore.com, www.autohausaz.com and www.rmeuropean.com to get all the parts I need to start engine assembly. Hopefully will do it on coming Friday.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:06 PM

Update. Finally, making some progress. Last weekend I made big one, comparing with previous time. The reason: I finally ordered and received all necessary parts from favorite vendors and the main one is www.thebmwpartstore.com (other two: www.autohausaz.com and www.rmeuropean.com). Here is the box from www.thebmwpartstore.com:

A was impressed that is such big order they made no mistakes: no missed parts at all! Impressive!

Replaced camshaft rings:

While having easy access to heater hoses I replaced all of them:

Rebuilt camshaft chain tensioners (O-rings replaced too):

Installed oil distribution pieces and all new tc guides/rails:

Installed camshaft chain tensioners, vanos units, exhaust sprokets and chains, and timing chain:

Following Beisan and TIS procedures, I set vanos in correct state and tighten vanos and exhaust sprocket bolts (81 and 92 lbs ft respectively):

And, at last for the weekend, I correctly positioned the camshaft position sensor rings:

BTW, here is an old oil filter with a lot of aluminum shavings came off the lower timing cover while timing chain slapped:

Last edited by Nervous; 12-16-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:41 AM

Mein Auto: BMW e39 540i '97
Great work!
Lovely to see the effort you;re putting into this! Will be an awesome motor when you're finished
Old 01-17-2013, 12:13 PM

Long time with no updates. I almost assembled the engine. Some pics to follow.
1) Installing a new front crankshaft seal. As you can see, the VANOS press tool from Beisan was helpful to me here.

2) I also have finally bought this big guy:

3) Installed lower timing chain cover:

4) Upper tc covers:

5) water pump, vanos solenoids, etc

More pics to come soon....
Old 03-10-2013, 09:39 PM

Further progress is documented here:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...n-guides-input