Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d & 98 Cherokee
2011 X5 Adaptive Drive

This will probably come off as a silly question but I'm not anywhere near my X so I can't look right now. How can I tell if it is equipped with adaptive drive?

This is a 2011 35d. I was told my delayed/flaring shifting was cured by resetting the adaptive drive. It shifted fine last night although this morning had a dead accel pedal three times...completely dead, absolutely zero throttle response. It seemed to be fine once I reached my destination.

The reason for my question is it appears adaptive drive is pretty rare in 35d's?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses!
Advertisement
Old 01-17-2013, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i ///M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetman View Post
This will probably come off as a silly question but I'm not anywhere near my X so I can't look right now. How can I tell if it is equipped with adaptive drive?

This is a 2011 35d. I was told my delayed/flaring shifting was cured by resetting the adaptive drive. It shifted fine last night although this morning had a dead accel pedal three times...completely dead, absolutely zero throttle response. It seemed to be fine once I reached my destination.

The reason for my question is it appears adaptive drive is pretty rare in 35d's?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses!

www.bmwvin.com should be able to help.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 4.8i
If it has a "Sport" button under the shifter it has AD.
http://image.trucktrend.com/f/344902...5i-shifter.jpg
It doesn't sound like AD is related to your problem though.

You have delayed shifting and the throttle is completely dead? How were you driving it at all? Do you mean that it wouldn't kick down a gear at full throttle? There is a DIY kicking around about how to reset the drive by wire which will impact throttle response but it won't cure a completely dead pedal.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:26 AM

@ yahtzee5 - thanks for the VIN info. It didn't help as far as learning if it had adaptive drive but I appreciate the optional equipment list....much thanks!

@ digdesign - nope, no "sport" so no adaptive drive....now I'm pi$$ed since they specifically told me they reset the transmission adaptive drive.

For further info - the accelerator pedal was dead...engine running, in gear, but pressing the pedal did nothing...no rise in RPM, no noise...nothing. The 1st time was at the top of my driveway and when pulling out, nothing for a split second and then full throttle (Yes, I know a diesel doesn't have a "throttle)...merely using the word to describe it). The 2nd time was at a light, pushed pedal, nothing, so I idled off to the shoulder, feathered the pedal a few times and acceleration returned. The 3rd and final time was making a left turn....the X was still moving although very slowly, executed my turn and when I went to accelerate, again nothing for a second and then full throttle.

It is NOT turbo lag. It feels like the TPS (if equipped) is completely dead. After the 3rd time and upon the completion of the remainder of our 71 mile commute, all was normal and I drove it around for a while, stopping and starting and all seems ok. We'll see what it does on the return trip home tonight.

I'll let you know and thanks for the replies.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetman;7320034
@ digdesign - nope, no "sport" so no adaptive drive....now I'm pi$$ed since they specifically told me they reset the [U
transmission[/U] adaptive drive.
It's that shortage of commonly accepted tecnical terms that get overused again. With adaptive this and intelligent that, almost anything these days is adaptive or intelligent or smart (phones, anyone?). So you have every right to be confused but, unfortunately, the problem is yours.

Adaptive drive is the suspension (stifness, level, dampness control) that helps to keep the car smooth and flat on uneven surfaces or cornering (there are better and more accurate descriptions, check multiple threads on this) while adaptive transmission is just the way the car picks the gears based on the way you push the accelerator (and adapts to your driving style, supposedly). One is totally independent of the other.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
They likely reset the transmission "adaptive learning" the transmission has various shift patterns and it attempts to find the best one to fit your driving style...

Jay
Old 01-17-2013, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 4.8i
From the way you describe the symptoms it seems unrelated to the transmission. If you press the accelerator and nothing at all happens (no revving) it's more likely a problem with electronics.

FYI, in case you don't know, your X5 uses "Drive by Wire". Instead of a traditional throttle cable the accelerator pedal is connected to an electronic actuator. When you press the pedal you're requesting throttle from the ECU, the ECU then determines how far to open the throttle for you.

Unless you're actually having shifting problems, which it sounds like you are not, when you bring it to the dealer don't tell them it has a problem shifting as that may confuse them. Tell them that when you press the accelerator pedal nothing happens.

If I had to guess, I would think you have a faulty accelerator pedal module
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...74&hg=35&fg=20
If it were on the throttle side that would probably trigger a fault code, but a faulty pedal may not. Which could explain why they didn't catch it the first time you brought it in.

Last edited by digdesign; 01-17-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:12 PM

The original problem was a shifting problem...occasionally it would shift (up to) 4 times before it hit 10 MPH or so, lugging the engine. sometimes it seemed to "hunt" for a gear and would flare before finally selecting a gear. Very random trans actions.

The dead pedal has never occured until this morning....we've put about 2k miles on it since we got it (several commutes back and forth and one 600 mile trip). Last night when we picked it up it was shifting fine....this morning I noticed on the way up the driveway (850') it "seemed" to hunt for a gear but didn't really pay it any attention. I take it easy going up the drive since I'm used to our 528 that typically wouldn't shift until a little warmer, normally at or past the top.

When at the top of the drive and turning onto the main road, that was the first instance of a dead pedal...it happened very quickly and by the time I realized the pedal was soft and unresponsive it went to full throttle (because of the pressure from my foot) and away we went. Didn't think anything of it until the 2nd time, probably about 3 miles from the house. I stopped at a light to make a right turn and no pedal; I had enough time to push it 2 or 3 times and nothing, idled off to the shoulder and feathered (worked) the peday 2 or 3 times and again, full throttle. I'm not saying it was an uncommanded full throttle, it was the position the pedal was in when it "caught" again.

We drove non-stop for another 6 miles or so, I slowed to make a left turn and upon completion of the turn, again had no pedal for a split second and then off she goes accelerating normally. The remaining 59 miles of the commute were at highway speeds with no issues and once I dropped her off at work, took the long way around to my office with numerous starts and stops with zero issues...all worked as designed.

It has been rainy, foggy and chilly the past few days but I'm doubtful the weather is affecting it. I don't feel as if it's a dangerous situation and I can definately control it. I's definately not the alledged Toyota issue. Tonight on the way home, I'll play with it a bit to see if I can duplicate this issue.

I realize the X is drive-by-wire and I assume it has some kind of potentiometer controlling signals from the ECM to control fuel input, correct? On the "normal" diesels I work on, the symptoms very closely resemble a faulty TPS (potentiometer).

I agree it is probably not related to the trans....they appear to have fixed that part with the reset. This may be another issue that is beginning....or not. It wasn't my imagination since my wife asked why I was stopping (3rd time after the left turn) and I made sure my s/toed shoes weren't pressing something else besides the accelerator.

It's covered under warranty so I'm not as worried as I am curious. Thanks again for the replies folks!