Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-12-2013, 05:36 PM
PCM888USA

Mein Auto: BMW 650i
The ridges on the door handle seemed to indicated the car has CA. I am still not sure if a rechargeable battery in the fob or replaceable battery is an indicator of a CA equipped car or not. If you must press the key fob button to unlock the car and it unlocks, it indicates to me the battery has been fine or the door will not unlock. That also meant it did not lose its memory. Unfortunately it also meant your car is not equipped with CA. When you tried to start the car by not insetting the key in the key slot and you got a no key found display, it also indicates the car is not CA equipped. If you take it to the dealer, I am sure they can tell you by docking your key to link back to BMW in Germany. It will tell you for sure. Hopefully they do not charge you a bundle for "diagnostic services". Good luck.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:44 PM

Mein Auto: Volvo
Thanks for your prompt response. So is it possible that the fob need programing or if remote works opening and closing me the programing is fine? The car still has 7.5 months of warranty. So it should not cost anything, or am I wishful thinking!, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcm888usa View Post
The ridges on the door handle seemed to indicated the car has CA. I am still not sure if a rechargeable battery in the fob or replaceable battery is an indicator of a CA equipped car or not. If you must press the key fob button to unlock the car and it unlocks, it indicates to me the battery has been fine or the door will not unlock. That also meant it did not lose its memory. Unfortunately it also meant your car is not equipped with CA. When you tried to start the car by not insetting the key in the key slot and you got a no key found display, it also indicates the car is not CA equipped. If you take it to the dealer, I am sure they can tell you by docking your key to link back to BMW in Germany. It will tell you for sure. Hopefully they do not charge you a bundle for "diagnostic services". Good luck.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:03 PM
PCM888USA

If it is still under warranty, go for it. They should not charge you.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuShulSan View Post
I recently bought a 2009 328i wagon. It has those ridges on the door handle and the battery in the key-fob is 2032 non-rechargeable. If i red the manual correctly, the non-comfort access have rechargeable battery and comfort access have regular battery. When I try to open the door with key in pocket, it simply does not work. And inside the car when I press the ignition button twice without the key in the slot the car displays the a "Key with diagonal line" on it. I have changed the battery with new one but nothing so far. o I need to take it to dealer to reprograme it?

Thanks.
Do the Comfort Access features work with the other key? If not, I'd suspect a failing battery (car, not key) or a problem recognizing the fobs.

Either way, it should be handled under warranty.

Tom
Old 01-13-2013, 04:49 PM

No, none of the keys work.

But today I pushed the button without the key in the slot and it amazingly started. but I turned it off and tried to do it again and it shows no key inside sign.

I also found out that if I put the key into the slot and pull it out right away and push the start it will work. The door opening still not working. So one can say with high degree of certainty that this car has comfort access but for some reason not behaving. I am taking it to dealer tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Do the Comfort Access features work with the other key? If not, I'd suspect a failing battery (car, not key) or a problem recognizing the fobs.

Either way, it should be handled under warranty.

Tom

Last edited by ShuShulSan; 01-13-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuShulSan View Post
No, none of the keys work....

I am taking it to dealer tomorrow. Wish me luck.
Good luck - let us know what they find.

Tom
Old 01-13-2013, 05:33 PM
PCM888USA

I am very curious of what the dealer will do to fix it. It sounded like a weak fob battery or bad battery contact. Anyway. good luck at the dealer.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:14 PM

Updating:

Took it to dealer this morning and after 3 hours of wait, they said is all good and they recharged the battery and paired up the fobs. I went to the car and pulled the handle and nothing worked. The guy took it in again and they asked me to wait little more After another hour they came back and said the comfort access module is bad and needs replacement. They will get it sometime Wednday or Thursday and will take 3 hours to install. They did not charge me anything. The car is under warranty for another 7 months. Do you think I would be billed?
Will update again.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:41 PM
PCM888USA

No way they can bill you. Bimmer has a bumper to bumper warranty. You are lucky to catch this now than eight months from now. They could easily charge you a grand from replacement.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:43 AM

So let us say they (BMW) fixes my Comfort access. What brand and type of window tint should I apply to have least effect on the performance of the system? I live in Texas and in few months we will get hell on earth, so tint is very important.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:04 PM
PCM888USA

Tinting side windows in California is illegal althought everybody still does it, including me. If your cops do not pill off people and give them hard time for tinting, go with the LIMO dark. It is the color, not a brand. Don't go to dealer because they do not do tinting. They just take a cut. Do not go cheap or you will have a lot of bubbles soon. I say spend around. $200 for a 4 door car is reasonable.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:15 PM

Today I went to Llumar authorized dealer and they estimated $500 for ceramic 30%. 30% is the legal limit in Texas.

I think $500 for a E91 (Wagon has more windows than sedan) is a bit too much. I would gladly spend $300-350 but not more. Any idea on brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcm888usa View Post
Tinting side windows in California is illegal althought everybody still does it, including me. If your cops do not pill off people and give them hard time for tinting, go with the LIMO dark. It is the color, not a brand. Don't go to dealer because they do not do tinting. They just take a cut. Do not go cheap or you will have a lot of bubbles soon. I say spend around. $200 for a 4 door car is reasonable.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:42 PM
PCM888USA

Well, five years ago both my son and I got a new bimmer and we went to the same tinting place. I spend $250 for a regular tint and he spent $350 for ceramic. We both still have the same car. No differences I can detect. if people say ceramic shields heat better, I do not know that. $500 sounds high to me.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:58 PM

Updating,

Today I called the dealer to see if they got the module in! They said yes. So I brought the car in around 10:30. They called me around 15:30 to come pick it up. I went there around 17:30, tested the keyless entry and push button ignition and both work. They charged me nothing. I hope the system does no fail again.

If BMW service, while under warranty, is really free why the previous lease holder on this car never bothered to take it in to have it fixed. Sometimes people do unexplainable things.

Thanks for all your help and support.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: E46 M3 & E60 M5
I just bought a car and both CA keys are dead. Changed the battery in both, and neither opens the door or has the comfort access features. Any help?
Old 12-11-2013, 05:24 AM

Mein Auto: M3, 335GT
Sometimes after a battery change the key/fob needs a reset. Insert it into the ignition and start the car. That is usually all it needs. (Unless the keys you received are not original to the car, then anything goes.)
Old 12-11-2013, 07:09 AM
BMW CCA #405768

Mein Auto: 2012 335is
I changed the battery about 1 month ago. NO Problem on my E93
Old 12-11-2013, 09:30 AM

Yeahh.. I am sending it in to BMW for diagnostics
Old 12-16-2013, 02:11 PM
Can I have those?

Mein Auto: 2012 335is, 2013 X5d
I changed mine recently too, no problems at all. Took some pics of the process if anyone needs them.

How to Change the Battery in a BMW Key Fob

I've never had a problem with them not being synced after a battery change.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:31 PM

Dealer said both keys may be needing reprogramming if they had dead batteries for more than 1 minute. I find that odd, but could be true?
Old 12-16-2013, 02:42 PM
Can I have those?

Mein Auto: 2012 335is, 2013 X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishboo View Post
Dealer said both keys may be needing reprogramming if they had dead batteries for more than 1 minute. I find that odd, but could be true?
Usually the frequency of the Key Fob is synced to the vehicle and changing the fob battery should not change the frequency. I don't really see how the vehicle would lose the fob frequency because the battery was changed? I don't work for BMW so I could be wrong.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:55 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolv23 View Post
Usually the frequency of the Key Fob is synced to the vehicle and changing the fob battery should not change the frequency. I don't really see how the vehicle would lose the fob frequency because the battery was changed?
The radio frequency on which the access system operates is fixed. It is the same for all BMWs that use the same hardware in the same region. Cars sold in different areas of the world may have keys that operate on different frequencies, based on the portion of the electromagnetic spectrum allocated to such devices by different regions/countries. Older versions of the system may also operate on different frequencies to newer ones, similar to how cordless phones have moved to a higher frequency band to eliminate interference with wireless networking equipment. The fob cannot "lose" the frequency on a battery change because it's fixed in the hardware.

However, the car recognizes an authorized key by a combination of fixed and rolling security codes transmitted by the fob. The rolling portion changes on every button press (similar a garage-door opener). If that code value diverges too much from the values the car will accept, it will no longer unlock the car in response to that key. That could happen if the fob sat for a long time with a dead battery.

See this post, the document linked from it and the rest of that thread for information on how to re-synchronize the keys yourself. Usually it's all that is required. If it does not work after several careful attempts, there is a different problem and you'll need a service visit to have the keys and/or GM reprogrammed/replaced.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 12-20-2013, 09:33 AM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
good information to know as these keyfobs will eventually run out of batteries.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: 328
Hi

I have just replaced my E93 CA FOB battery without issues. If you car has CA hen all you need is to swap batteries.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: Z3,X5d,750Li,E93,1200RT&C
I have replaced batteries in all my cars from 2000 model to 2011 without any problems. But battery change is a different story.