Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-18-2013, 09:38 AM
Gearhead

Mein Auto: '98 528i, '82 323i
did he tell you what exactly this update will do for your car?
also, w/ the too much play diagnosis on the fan clutch, is it loose bearings, or is it
too much play on the viscous clutch ? If it's bearing related, you may want to
change this asap, rather than later.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:45 AM
Bimmerholic

Mein Auto: 2001 530 SP/PP/CWP/Slush
After I noted that the aux fan had been coming on, we opened up the hood up and he just grabbed the fan while it was running, felt for resistance, and made the diagnosis. As soon as I noted the aux fan was kicking in he said this happens when the rad fan is not cooling the engine sufficiently. I guess I will check it myself. The coolant temp needle never gets beyond 12 o'clock so it does not seem like this is a pressing issue, but if there are other things to check, let me know.

He didn't say exactly what the update would do. He wasn't pushing me to do it. He said sometimes it will fix small engine/performance issues, presumably like them one I am having.

2001 530 Steel Blue Metallic, purchased Dec 03
SP/PP/CWP/Slushbox (I know I know)

OEM M5 bumper, 40% Huper Optik ceramic tint, Dice Silverline Pro iPod adapter, 540SP radial spokes, Zimmerman Z-Coat rotors w/ Hawk HPS pads
"Mods": driveshaft, cooling system, Vanos, CCV, PSR, VCG, FSU, spark plugs, buncha belts-n-hoses, & other things I'd just as soon forget

BMW CCA member for 12 years