Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

View Poll Results: Which vehicle would you choose?
Acura MDX (MY2014) 2 4.00%
Audi Q7 (MY2014) 4 8.00%
BMW X5 (MY2014) 27 54.00%
INFINITI QX60 (MY2013) 1 2.00%
LEXUS RX (MY2013) 0 0%
MERCEDES ML (MY2013) 0 0%
PORSCHE CAYENNE (MY2013) 15 30.00%
VOLKSWAGEN TOUAREG (MY2013) 1 2.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2013, 12:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Update

UPDATE 3

ACURA MDX PROTOTYPE REVEAL IN DETROIT:

CHIME IN YOUR THOUGHTS, AND WHETHER THEY HAVE CHANGED YOUR DECISION ON YOUR PICK OF BEST LUX CROSSOVER

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 01-17-2013, 01:18 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
I was very disappointed that the engine only get direct engine and no turbo. I can't wait to see Q7 when it comes out. Overall, Acura MDX is seem lack luster.

Although, I have a feeling Q7 will look similar to previous model and just with improved mechanical under the Q7.

The more I look at the headlights, the more I like the design. It copies Audi's LED light style and improved upon it by making it larger. At least, it makes me look closer at the headlights. The rest of the body works does not seem as refined. I don't like the front side.

Here is the Youtube on that:

Old 01-17-2013, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: German
Acura is so lazy. It has technology that everyone else has had for years.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 Audi A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycyao View Post
I was very disappointed that the engine only get direct engine and no turbo. I can't wait to see Q7 when it comes out. Overall, Acura MDX is seem lack luster.

Although, I have a feeling Q7 will look similar to previous model and just with improved mechanical under the Q7.

The more I look at the headlights, the more I like the design. It copies Audi's LED light style and improved upon it by making it larger. At least, it makes me look closer at the headlights. The rest of the body works does not seem as refined. I don't like the front side.

Here is the Youtube on that:
LMAO @ "Signature" Jewel Eye. My A6 has had them for a year and a half.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucktown View Post
Audi is the class leader in LED tech. (Plus it has the adaptive feature built in) The designers at Acura, decided to go the less complicado route and just added a baziliion leds lol (thankfully not as many as the RLX).

I want to see how these operate at the night before I decide which idea is superior:

Add adaptive tech for LEDs or Add a bazzilion Leds to cover the focal spectrum.

I also wonder what the replacement costs look like?

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 01-18-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucktown View Post
Not even the C7 A6. The R8 has had them for a while now. Lexus debuted them in the LS600hl a couple years ago
Old 01-18-2013, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: 09 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
Audi is the class leader in LED tech. (Plus it has the adaptive feature built in) The designers at Acura, decided to go the less complicado route and just added a baziliion leds lol (thankfully not as many as the RLX).

I want to see how these operate at the night before I decide which idea is superior:

Add adaptive tech for LEDs or Add a bazzilion Leds to cover the focal spectrum.

I also wonder what the replacement costs look like?
The MDX's work great at night, much better then the 2nd gens HIDs. I've never seen the A6s at night, so I can't compare them.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
The MDX's work great at night, much better then the 2nd gens HIDs.
How can you be sure of that? No one has driven the new MDX or even seen a production model of it.

What's funny is that Acura still doesn't have Bi-Xenons in the MDX. Only HID low-beams. With a separate high halogen high beam

Last edited by AutoUnion; 01-18-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 Audi A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Not even the C7 A6. The R8 has had them for a while now. Lexus debuted them in the LS600hl a couple years ago
In terms of using them as a headlight, I believe the 2010 R8 had them first, then the 2011 A8, then the 2012 A7/A6.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:06 PM

Mein Auto: 09 135i
Quote:
How can you be sure of that? No one has driven the new MDX or even seen a production model of it.

What's funny is that Acura still doesn't have Bi-Xenons in the MDX. Only HID low-beams. With a separate high halogen high beam

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/217...30118at355.png
I've seen the new MDX, drove with one at night for an hour or two back in November when they were out testing it. I posted a pic of it earlier in the thread.

The most annoying thing about the 2nd gen MDX was the placement of the daytime running lights, everyone in Europe mistakes them for fog lights and flashes you thinking your driving with your fogs on, I was pulled over twice by the police asking me to turn my fog lights off. There's no way to turn them off other then turn on your lights, really dumb setup.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 Premium
The coolest and newest feature seems to be the headlights. As far as styling it doesn't seem like the leapt too far from the previous version.

I'm sure it will be very capable and moderately sporty, but really didn't excite me. Again, an evolutionary design.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:03 AM

Mein Auto: 328xi
I'd err toward Porsche Cayenne S, but it's a little unfair since with options I'd get it up to 86K pretty quick while the X5 hits about 69K for me. The interior of the Cayenne is unbelievably awesome, but the exterior is so Hyundai to me it's almost shocking.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Yes, but its a Porsche! Actually I kind of know what you mean. I followed a Highlander for a bit the other evening and thought it was a Cayenne. That said, none of these really look good from the back. In fact they remind me of a '53 Chev panel truck in most cases. All in all, the current Cayenne (and T-egg) look pretty good to me. With the new 8 speed transmission (since '11) and the new styling I find them both quite attractive and on my short list!
Old 01-20-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Yes, but its a Porsche! Actually I kind of know what you mean. I followed a Highlander for a bit the other evening and thought it was a Cayenne. That said, none of these really look good from the back. In fact they remind me of a '53 Chev panel truck in most cases. All in all, the current Cayenne (and T-egg) look pretty good to me. With the new 8 speed transmission (since '11) and the new styling I find them both quite attractive and on my short list!
I think the Cayenne is pretty distinct at night. Especially the LED taillights
Old 01-21-2013, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Agree, but it was not dark enough for the lights -- just the shape, however the Highlander also had LED lights

Last edited by UncleJ; 01-21-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirgrotius View Post
I'd err toward Porsche Cayenne S, but it's a little unfair since with options I'd get it up to 86K pretty quick while the X5 hits about 69K for me. The interior of the Cayenne is unbelievably awesome, but the exterior is so Hyundai to me it's almost shocking.
I dont know if this is the sad reality, or shocking truth but as long as it performs like a Porsche, they could honestly re-badge the pontiac aztec and it would break sales records LOL!

Why does this matter?
Old 01-23-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
I dont know if this is the sad reality, or shocking truth but as long as it performs like a Porsche, they could honestly re-badge the pontiac aztec and it would break sales records LOL!
The Panamera comes to mind.

Hopefully, the upcoming Macan and Pajun aren't hideous. Even if they are, they'll sell like hotcakes.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Quote:
The Panamera comes to mind.

Hopefully, the upcoming Macan and Pajun aren't hideous. Even if they are, they'll sell like hotcakes.
I'm curious about the Macan. I might trade my M3 for the top model with the sportiest suspension and chassi options available until the Pajun is launched. Could be a fun change to something very different that still should be sports car fun. However in the end I think the new M3 will get my $$$ until it's Pajun time. We'll see, fun times. I love my E90 M3 and it's been rock solid and Trouble free but I don't plan to keep it past warranty.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:20 PM
Mmmmmm…

Mein Auto: '13 Range Rover S/C
Just curious why the Range Rover isn't in the list? Or do you not consider this a "crossover?"

Anyways out of the list, I would pick the Cayenne since that's my second choice.

Last edited by alphaod; 01-23-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
Just curious why the Range Rover isn't in the list? Or do you not consider this a "crossover?"

Anyways out of the list, I would pick the Cayenne since that's my second choice.
Not really a crossover and it's not in the same price range.

Plus Land Rover quality is so terrible, I'm surprised they're still around
Old 01-23-2013, 11:57 PM
Mmmmmm…

Mein Auto: '13 Range Rover S/C
Quote:
Not really a crossover and it's not in the same price range.

Plus Land Rover quality is so terrible, I'm surprised they're still around
I don't know, the Cayenne can get pretty expensive and so can the Mercedes. The base model Range isn't that expensive.

And the quality hopefully has improved.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
I don't know, the Cayenne can get pretty expensive and so can the Mercedes. The base model Range isn't that expensive.

And the quality hopefully has improved.
The '13 RR starts at $83k. That's over loaded X5, ML, Q7 money. So no, Range isn't in this market. It's much more higher-end. The Cayenne starts much under that, but of course, you can get north of $120k with a higher-end model. The Cayenne kind of teeters in both price brackets.

just saw your sig about the new Range. Post pics
Old 01-24-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I'm curious about the Macan. I might trade my M3 for the top model with the sportiest suspension and chassi options available until the Pajun is launched. Could be a fun change to something very different that still should be sports car fun. However in the end I think the new M3 will get my $$$ until it's Pajun time. We'll see, fun times. I love my E90 M3 and it's been rock solid and Trouble free but I don't plan to keep it past warranty.
I'm really looking forward to both models do. Audi did a great job with the Q5. I want to see what Porsche is able with that chassis in the Macan. The upcoming Pajun will probably smoke everything in its class (A6, GS, E, F10).

Porsche isn't ****ing around and if they're anything like the Cayenne or Panamera, they will drive great.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Quote:
I'm really looking forward to both models do. Audi did a great job with the Q5. I want to see what Porsche is able with that chassis in the Macan. The upcoming Pajun will probably smoke everything in its class (A6, GS, E, F10).

Porsche isn't ****ing around and if they're anything like the Cayenne or Panamera, they will drive great.
It seems like Porsche is logging around a Q5 wherever they take the Macan mule. Likely to make sure it's smokes it anywhere, anytime and anyhow
I'm very impressed with our Cayenne as an SUV and my wife told me yesterday that it's by far the best car she has ever driven. She loves it ad is now a solidified Porsche fan which is good since it will make it easier for me to lobby for a Pajun or 991

I read a quote from a Porsche official where he disputed that the Macan was just a re-badged over priced Q5. He said something to the tune that Audi can't believe what Porsche has managed to do with the Q5 platform in terms of driving dynamics. Sounds promising.

Last edited by solstice; 01-24-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
It seems like Porsche is logging around a Q5 wherever they take the Macan mule. Likely to make sure it's smokes it anywhere, anytime and anyhow
I'm very impressed with our Cayenne as an SUV and my wife told me yesterday that it's by far the best car she has ever driven. She loves it ad is now a solidified Porsche fan which is good since it will make it easier for me to lobby for a Pajun or 991
Looks like the Porsche up charge has paid off for you

Quote:

I read a quote from a Porsche official where he disputed that the Macan was just a re-badged over priced Q5. He said something to the tune that Audi can't believe what Porsche has managed to do with the Q5 platform in terms of driving dynamics. Sounds promising.
http://www.trucktrend.com/future/spi...ied/index.html

Looks pretty decent in this pics, but it seems that with the angle on the boot, it will cut into the space.

I'm thinking low 40s starting (little more than Q5 2.0T), going all the way up to 100k on a top-spec twin turbo model.

Porsche-Audi working together is going to fantastic for us in the future.