Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-18-2013, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: 01 E39
New guy needs help with a headlight problem.

Hey every one. I have an 01 BMW that I just bought. And I need new headlight so I can pass a lamp inspection. Lol, to my surprise each headlight is about 700 for aftermarket ones. I was wondering if:

A.. I can borrow some ones for about an hour.

Or b.. Any one can point me to the right direction of headlights for really cheap.

Or even c.. Is there a retrofit to put halogen headlights on and take out the factory hid.

I have the factory hid headlights with amber turn signal is that means anything. Thanks everyone for your help!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 02 540iT, 96 Carrera
These are cheaper:

http://www.umnitza.com/projector39-h...03-p-5659.html
'02 Titanium Silver 540iT Sport - Birch Anthracite trim, retrofitted window shades, DJ Auto Euro clear corner lenses, BSW t110 subwoofer, Dice Silverline w/DSP, lowering links. Lots of upgrades waiting in the garage for time to install
'96 Polar Silver Porsche Carrera - MY02 5 spokes, Bilstein PSS9s, Euro TT Sways, KLA Strut bar, Big Red TT Brakes, RS Motor Mounts, RS Shift kit, Recaro A8s, FVD 360mm wheel, HIDs, Big Oval tips.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:51 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
I like the idea of the borrowed headlight - but - for a real solution - I would suggest a repair.

The stock BMW headlights were pretty good at the factory - but like many things BMW - they deteriorate at an alarming rate - due to the materials used.

If I assume your headlight is working - but not aimed properly ... I suggest:
a) Polish the headlight lens (optional)
b) Replace the broken PBT plastic adjuster (mandatory)

To get you started, I typed /headlight F3 in the besltinks which came up with this, among others:
- Headlight plastic polishing & refinishing DIY (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & polishing yellowed taillights (1) & replacing the lens in toto (1) and all known options for replacing broken E39 late-model headlight adjusters (1)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need