Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: 1 Series Coupe
Bluetooth / A2DP / AUX Input etc

Hi Folks,

Been reading some of the previous posts regarding audio other than phonecall audio over bluetooth, and was looking to check my understanding.

My car is a 118d coupe - first registered April 2010. It has the Professional radio, with the 3.5mm aux input, and factory fit bluetooth. My phone is (currently at least!) an HTC Sensation.

The bluetooth connection works fine for its "main" purpose - making / receiving calls, viewing address book etc etc.

People have mentioned the need for A2DP in order to support streaming of "other" audio over the car stereo. Various mentions have been made of 3rd party devices that plug in to the 3.5mm aux input. Mention has also been made of multi-point bluetooth connections on phones which would allow my phone to connect to both the car bluetooth, and this 3rd party device concurrently (yet to check if my phone supports this).

HOWEVER! Most threads have been regarding the streaming of music on the phone to the car. For this purpose, it seems to me the use of the Aux input is perfectly suited.... but I'm quite happy with the radio for music - what I want, is to use the car speakers for the audio from Google Navigation (my phone's speaker is cr*p and can barely be heard with the radio on!).

It seems to me while this WOULD work using the aux connection, when google navigation was "quiet" - everything would be quiet, since there'd be no radio playing!

Is my understanding wrong here?

How can I verify if the bluetooth in my car does / doesn't support A2DP?

Can I get a BMW fit upgrade to my car's bluetooth (if needed), and if so, how / guesses as to cost?

I'm guessing the ultimate answer is going to be an overall "can't be done" - as this would kinda render BMW designing their own sat nav system rather redundant

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 116i
i've help my bro's 118i enable BT music, just change VO 6NH to 6NK, then VO Code CMB_MEDIA and HU_CIC, you'll meet the magic!
Old 01-18-2013, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 135i
I have an 2009 135i E82

This model has Bluetooth but only for the hands free profile. There is no A2DP streaming.
One rig i did was Belkin makes this

CarAudio Connect AUX with Bluetooth®

Kind if expensive $80 but it turns your Aux into a Bluetooth streaming port. So you could have the same phone connected to the car and this at the same time
Old 01-19-2013, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: 1 Series Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjames007 View Post
I have an 2009 135i E82

This model has Bluetooth but only for the hands free profile. There is no A2DP streaming.
One rig i did was Belkin makes this

CarAudio Connect AUX with Bluetooth®

Kind if expensive $80 but it turns your Aux into a Bluetooth streaming port. So you could have the same phone connected to the car and this at the same time
Thanks for that - Yeah, I think I saw SOMETHING like that in a shop over here (UK based)... When you say Aux - I assume you mean the 3.5mm jack, with the Belkin device powered by the cigarette lighter socket?

Also, I assume this would require selecting AUX as audio input - so would mean the ONLY audio would be from the Android Nav - as opposed to say, listening to Radio and having the audio from the nav "cut in"?

Cheers!
Old 01-19-2013, 02:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 135i
That is correct. The AUX jack in the car is the 3.5mm port.

That is correct you would have to choose aux in the car to use the nav

The Nav would Cut in because it is using the same Port for the Audio.

EC
You are listening to Google Music (through the Bluetooth / AUX rig i described). and then you need to use google maps to navigate you some where.
Then the google maps navigation would interrupt the Google Music until you were don using it. That inturruption happended on your phone. You did not switch connections in your car (AUX to somethign else)

Another example
You are listening to google muisc though the same source on your phone though the Bluetoth / Aux of the car. You get a call. If you have the same phone paired with the car
The car will switch over to the Phone call inturrupting your google music. When you are done wiht the call. The car will flip back to the Aux and your phone will flip back to playing google music.