Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-17-2013, 08:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
01 e39 bussiness cd no sound/no controls

Hi all, i have a weird problem that lasts for more than 6 months now - my radio/cd stopped working.
symptoms:
1) died at a certain sound level, i can hear cd/radio, but controls are not working. the controls on the steering wheel don't work either.
2) MID (display) is black, i can see the orange light though, but no text. it had some dead pixels, but it was working fine.
3) cd comes out, goes in, switches to cd when inserted no problem.
i am not suspecting the amp since i hear sound, thank God it died at a low sound level!
4) power/sound adjusting knob does not do anything when pressed/turned
what i tried:
1) searched bimmerfest and all other forums and google
2) reseated fuses, disconnected battery
3) swapped ignition switch, MID from a working car - worked on the original car, wouldn't work on mine
4) checked the amp in the back and pulled the cd unit, the fuse on the back of the cd is fine, all seems fine, no loose connections, ground is ok
couple of weeks ago it started working out of the blue, and then died again, slowly, observed malfunctions in control buttons when going over the bumps
at this point i am thinking to install an aftermarket dvd/nav display - does anyone know if that would eliminate the problem? I just don't want to spend 500$ to find out that it doesn't help.

no cd changer, no nav, no phone installed
Any help appreciated. thanks!

Last edited by ariciuonbmw; 01-17-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2013, 12:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Hi,

Fault finding 101 !

You need to check and try things to potentially eliminate them as causes. Could be chafed/cut continuity loom wiring, could be faulty audio modules, the module you tried might not be compatible in your car so perhaps cross reference on real oem for the part numbers that are suitable for your year of manufacture, etc. You've already tried quite a bit with no success, so it's really up to you on how much time/effort/money you wish to spend Vs wanting the oem setup to work!

As it's intermittent it'll be harder to diagnose, but sounds as though one of the audio modules is failing.

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 01-18-2013, 12:09 AM

Thanks for the input Dennis, do you know if replacing the own with an aftermarket wide screen display would solve it?
Old 01-18-2013, 09:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Hi

If you install an aftermarket head unit, and either connect a good quality amplifier or use the on board amplifier to drive good quality aftermarket speakers, then yes, it'll solve the issue as this setup would be independent of any oem modules etc.

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 01-18-2013, 02:51 PM

Thanks! I'll look into a good aftermarket unit then