Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: soon to be X1
BMW getting asinine about ASS

I just dropped the car off at the dealer to have them reprogram ASS to remember the last setting instead of defaulting to on every time you restart the car. A lot of X1 owners have already done this. But guess what- the dealer guy told me that since so many people have asked for it, they no longer do it for you just for the asking. You need to have a reason for it, and 'the engineers have to approve it'.

So if you're thinking about getting this done- best do it soon, cuz BMW is getting snippy about it.
Ads by Google
Old 01-17-2013, 02:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
I've been expecting this. It is a long, slow process. In my particular case the re-programming wiped my satellite radio. It took them nearly a week to correct it, and I was told I can't get any software updates until they correct the glitch. No idea when that will be. And I just discovered recently that the ASS doesn't default to the last setting after all, but rather it's permanently disabled. Even in EcoPro it doesn't activate. I'm afraid to report it -- they might want me to take it in. After this and the TPMS fiasco, I simply don't trust them.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX
Old 01-17-2013, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
I was told there is a service bulletin forthcoming regarding reprogramming ASS and it is best to wait before requesting your dealer make any changes to ASS. Once the bulletin is released you'll be able to reference your dealer to it.

Not all ass is good my friends!
Old 01-17-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodW View Post
..I just discovered recently that the ASS doesn't default to the last setting after all, but rather it's permanently disabled. ....
That's not good neither- you should bug them until they fix everything.

When I spoke to the service rep, he kept saying "turning off ASS", and I had to interrupt him repeatedly to tell him I don't want ASS disabled, I just want the car to recall the last setting the user left it at. Hopefully I got through to him.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi Q5 3.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post

Not all ass is good my friends!
This ASS seems particularly rotten. I am visiting my dealer tomorrow for the NAV update and was planning to have them fix this issue for me...not sure what to do now. I'll run it by my SA and get his take on it. He's real good about this kind of stuff.

HaveBulldogWillTravel
English Bulldog Rescue
Recover
Rehab
Rehome
Rewarding
'13 X1 xDrive28i, Min. White, Sand, UP, LP, M-Sport, HK, Heated Seats, Satellite
Cross Bars
Invisihitch

Last edited by HBWT; 01-17-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:23 AM

Mein Auto: Audi A4
I had mine reprogrammed to default to the last setting and it seems to be working. However when they first did it, my satellite radio, back-up camera, parking sensors all went out. It took 4 days of reprogramming all the software, but have not had an issue since. It will come on automatically if I use that dreaded ECO Pro setting, which I rarely do.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:30 AM
Mullini

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW sDrive 28i X1
I don't care for the ASS but I only turn it off when I know my drive will have a lot of stops/traffic lights. I also play a little game with lightly "edging" the brakes to a stop - if I do so, the ASS does not activate. For example, when I leave a pay parking lot at the gym, at the exit booth I don't want ASS to come on because I know I'll be restarting in a just a couple seconds. If you sort of tap the pedal lightly, ASS does not engage.

But overall it is annoying, whatever the gas savings. I wonder how long BMW will stick with this feature...then again, they have stuck with RFTs, despite being generally disliked, and their sales have continued to be very healthy.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive28i
I'm amazed at all the griping and complaining about the ASS feature in this thread. Y'all test drove the vehicle before purchasing/leasing... ASS was demonstrated. If ASS is such a problem, why did you buy the X1?

It took me awhile to get accustomed to it and using it has become second nature for me. As Mullini mentions above, If I know I need to accelerate briskly from a stop, modulating the brake ever so slightly disables ASS.

Vince.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbbuilt View Post
I'm amazed at all the griping and complaining about the ASS feature in this thread. Y'all test drove the vehicle before purchasing/leasing... ASS was demonstrated. If ASS is such a problem, why did you buy the X1?

It took me awhile to get accustomed to it and using it has become second nature for me. As Mullini mentions above, If I know I need to accelerate briskly from a stop, modulating the brake ever so slightly disables ASS.

Vince.
I think you've missed the point. To me there's nothing wrong with the system. Yes, it was demonstrated and worked to my satisfaction. I can't speak for others, but my only concern with the system is that it defaults to ON with every start up. This was NOT conveyed to me during the test drive and I didn't think to ask About it. The system, IMO, should default to OFF. I don't always want the SS to be working and it's an annoyance when the car shuts off when one doesn't want it to.
Griping and complaining?? More like owners expressing displeasure with an annoyance.
And, FWIW, a single test drive isn't enough to cover everything(good or bad) on every car. You needn't be amazed...it's not that big of a deal.

HaveBulldogWillTravel
English Bulldog Rescue
Recover
Rehab
Rehome
Rewarding
'13 X1 xDrive28i, Min. White, Sand, UP, LP, M-Sport, HK, Heated Seats, Satellite
Cross Bars
Invisihitch
Old 01-18-2013, 12:47 PM

What he said!
Old 01-18-2013, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee View Post
I just dropped the car off at the dealer to have them reprogram ASS to remember the last setting instead of defaulting to on every time you restart the car. A lot of X1 owners have already done this. But guess what- the dealer guy told me that since so many people have asked for it, they no longer do it for you just for the asking. You need to have a reason for it, and 'the engineers have to approve it'.

So if you're thinking about getting this done- best do it soon, cuz BMW is getting snippy about it.
I think you dealer is full of it. They don't want to do it but from all I've read, BMWNA has no problem with this. Unless your dealer can show you documentation that what they say is true, make them execute the reprogramming.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
I was told there is a service bulletin forthcoming regarding reprogramming ASS and it is best to wait before requesting your dealer make any changes to ASS. Once the bulletin is released you'll be able to reference your dealer to it.
My dealer may be full of crap but I have no reason not to believe them regarding this. They were completely forthcoming regarding "paddlegate" and didn't pressure me into a M-Sport on the lot with no paddles (which they had several of).
Old 01-18-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
My dealer may be full of crap but I have no reason not to believe them regarding this. They were completely forthcoming regarding "paddlegate" and didn't pressure me into a M-Sport on the lot with no paddles (which they had several of).
FWIW, I dropped mine off at my dealer and my SA was finishing my sentences for me concerning the re-programming to stop the default "on" and re-program to default to "last setting".
He was also on board with recently released updates that needed to be installed first in order to circumvent the lost Sirius, etc. problems. Who knows, maybe there's a throttle delay fix in this new software...WHOOHOOOO!
He also noted that he'll have to get approval from BMW before proceeding with the re-pro. They'll have my car until Monday.
Good Bad or Otherwise, I'll report back on this next week.

HaveBulldogWillTravel
English Bulldog Rescue
Recover
Rehab
Rehome
Rewarding
Cross Bars
Invisihitch
Old 01-19-2013, 11:45 AM

To follow up- the dealer said that they won't reprogram ASS for me for now. They want me to drive the car at least 500 miles first and then decide whether to reprogram ASS. My car has about 70 miles at the moment.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 s28i X1
Quote:

That logic seems backwards. If so many people are requesting it it should be easier to get done. Maybe try a different dealer?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive28i
I ran into this as well and can confirm BMW's corporate policy is to require owners to drive the car for a while before they will disable ASS.

My dealer, fortunately, was very helpful in disabling it on delivery - although the notes in the service report acknowledge the BMW policy and indicate they made an exception for me. I'll try to dig them up and post the exact notes in case it helps someone else argue for the reprogramming to be done.

The BMW response on this, combined with my subpar European Delivery where I also had a negative experience when asking to disable ASS, has not exactly endeared the brand to me.

I get the distinct feeling that BMW feels like my car is theirs, not mine, and that I should feel privileged to be allowed to drive it. It's a completely different vibe from the aggressive personalization that I felt was a core Mini philosophy, and I'm starting to feel like I may have made a mistake in choosing the X1.

It's like there's an angry engineer watching my every move, yelling "KEIN SPASS FÜR SIE!" any time I try to enjoy the car...
Old 01-22-2013, 09:01 PM

I'm getting used to the ASS. It's easy to disable with the button and automatically disables in DS mode. You can also prevent it by lightly feathering the brake after you've stopped.

I will be asking the dealer to program to remember last setting, but not to disable.

I wish there was an ASS toggle on the steering wheel!

Last edited by nospam; 01-22-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
You can also prevent it by lightly feathering the brake after you've stopped.
There is another way to temporarily disable ASS. Right after you come to a complete stop, stomp hard on the brake once and then go back to the normal brake position. That will disable ASS temporarily. Yes, I just read the manual
Old 01-23-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
There is another way to temporarily disable ASS. Right after you come to a complete stop, stomp hard on the brake once and then go back to the normal brake position. That will disable ASS temporarily. Yes, I just read the manual
Great tip! Thanks!
Old 01-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Mullini

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW sDrive 28i X1
I seem to have trained my foot, I was noticing during my morning commute - my ASS almost never comes on, even when I wouldn't mind, such as at a longer traffic light. I use the "feather tap" method - not sure how I feel about "stomping" on the brake repeatedly through the day...
Old 01-23-2013, 01:35 PM

Got my X back and NAV is up to date and ASS defaults to last setting. Not sure why others are having difficulty but my dealer/SA had NO problem making the change for me. They did have to get BMWs approval but that was easy enough. New code provided and loaded without a hitch. Satellite radio still works! :-)

HaveBulldogWillTravel
English Bulldog Rescue
Recover
Rehab
Rehome
Rewarding
Cross Bars
Invisihitch

Last edited by HBWT; 01-23-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: RX-8
Can anyone confirm if heated seats on disables ASS?
Old 01-23-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-One View Post
Can anyone confirm if heated seats on disables ASS?
It does not.

It also defaults heated seats to off after each start. Yet, another item that needs to be reprogrammed to remember last setting (our 128i remembers last seat heat setting, per key).
Old 01-23-2013, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto: RX-8
Seems like a major battery drain for ASS to work with heated seats on unless it restarts with them off.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
Quote:
It also defaults heated seats to off after each start. Yet, another item that needs to be reprogrammed to remember last setting (our 128i remembers last seat heat setting, per key).
I can't say for certain why, but my seats do maintain the last heat setting sometimes. It seems to be when the car is only idle for a short time. Today I stopped at the bank for less than 10 minutes. When I restarted the car the seat heater was where I left it. But when I made a longer stop for more than a half hour, the heat setting turned off. I've been meaning to look it up but I keep forgetting.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX