Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-17-2013, 12:22 PM
johnnymurry996 johnnymurry996 is offline
Registered User
Location: us
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 1991 bmw 525i
trans program error revised

I have recently done a trans swap from a auto to a 5 speed. I have read a lot of info on this site and others.; these have been very helpfull. I have done all the rewiring that they have told me to do. The only problem I am still having is that the trans program still come on. I can't seem to find anyone with the info to get rid of it. Could anyone tell me if not only did they have the same problem and how they fixed it.
i grounded the gray/ brown wire from pin #10 female side of x506 12 pin connector around the shifter, at first i used the brown wire from the blue connector ( pin #5) of the A/M switch. i did the wiring for the reverse lights as well and those work fine. i followed the advice from another post and went through the whole ordeal of grounding pin #7 of the ccm to try and stop the trans program error code and it didnt work either. i removed the trans computer which was in the right kick panel. and even went so far as to ground pin #33 of the connector only that pin was blank. and ideals ?

Last edited by johnnymurry996; 01-17-2013 at 05:59 PM. Reason: more infomation about what all i have done so far
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 01-17-2013, 01:35 PM
BMR_LVR's Avatar
BMR_LVR BMR_LVR is offline
Humble E34 lover
Location: Asheboro, NC
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,264
Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Well, you didn't tell us what you have tried, so here is a shot in the dark. I did a quick Google search and here is the first link I came to:

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/5-ser...onversion.html

Hope this helps
__________________
Most problems are usually something simple !

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-17-2013, 05:49 PM
BMR_LVR's Avatar
BMR_LVR BMR_LVR is offline
Humble E34 lover
Location: Asheboro, NC
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,264
Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Hey Johnny. I see you updated your thread. Thanks. Unfortunately, I have never done a 5 speed swap. All I would be able to do is online research and you have obviously done that. I don't try to BS my way.

TWard has done the swap and may could help, but he isn't around much (in college for BMW tech)

You could also try the E36 forum here. While they have a different chassis, the swap is similar if I'm not mistaken.

Sorry I could not be of more assistance.
__________________
Most problems are usually something simple !

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-17-2013, 05:53 PM
Monsignor's Avatar
Monsignor Monsignor is offline
BMW CCA Memeber #445389
Location: Pineapple Under the Sea
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,199
Mein Auto: M50 Big Body
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR_LVR View Post
Hey Johnny. I see you updated your thread. Thanks. Unfortunately, I have never done a 5 speed swap. All I would be able to do is online research and you have obviously done that. I don't try to BS my way.

TWard has done the swap and may could help, but he isn't around much (in college for BMW tech)

You could also try the E36 forum here. While they have a different chassis, the swap is similar if I'm not mistaken.

Sorry I could not be of more assistance.
I really wanted to refer him to TWard but he hasn't been on in ages. Maybe a PM is in order? I really miss that kid...

EDIT: PM'd him.

Sent from Joe's Galaxy SIII via BimmerApp
__________________


1995 525iA 250k mi
2006 325i/6 57k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi

Instagram: @Titan_E34
Snapchat: Titan_E34

Last edited by Monsignor; 01-17-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-17-2013, 05:56 PM
johnnymurry996 johnnymurry996 is offline
Registered User
Location: us
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 1991 bmw 525i
thanks anyway
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-17-2013, 06:47 PM
TWard's Avatar
TWard TWard is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: North carolina
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 682
Mein Auto: 91 e34 525i
Alright guys, I have this same problem, and I haven't touched the E34 in a while. But I did the same with connector X506 and Trans Prog would show up here and there but it wasnt on all the time.


This is another way of doing it



Originally Posted by Lowell
Best place to ground the CC pin is at the splice connector called X511 (black, ~ 12 pin) in front of the gear shift. Pull pin #10, I think it is, from the body side connector. Convenient place to ground it is to remove pin...#5, I think it is...from the A/M manual switch connector. I pop each end into a factory harness connector, plug them together and it looks factory.

I pulled the Trans computer... (EGS), unplugged the A/M and gear selector switch and after doing this (bold in the quote above) it's all good... It comes up "[S] [ ]" for about 10-15 seconds then the lights go out. this is a solution I can live with.


NOTE: The transmission computer is in the right kick panel on tourings, not under the hood.



Btw I simply replaced the socket side of pin 10 with a ground socket from the blue A/M switch connector. I then reconnected the x511 connector.
SO in conclusion...x511 on the pin side was #10 grey wire as normal, but socket side #10 was a brown ground. This was easier to me than pulling them both out into a new connector as lowell suggested.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-17-2013, 07:07 PM
BMR_LVR's Avatar
BMR_LVR BMR_LVR is offline
Humble E34 lover
Location: Asheboro, NC
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,264
Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWard View Post
Alright guys, I have this same problem, and I haven't touched the E34 in a while. But I did the same with connector X506 and Trans Prog would show up here and there but it wasnt on all the time.


This is another way of doing it



Originally Posted by Lowell
Best place to ground the CC pin is at the splice connector called X511 (black, ~ 12 pin) in front of the gear shift. Pull pin #10, I think it is, from the body side connector. Convenient place to ground it is to remove pin...#5, I think it is...from the A/M manual switch connector. I pop each end into a factory harness connector, plug them together and it looks factory.

I pulled the Trans computer... (EGS), unplugged the A/M and gear selector switch and after doing this (bold in the quote above) it's all good... It comes up "[S] [ ]" for about 10-15 seconds then the lights go out. this is a solution I can live with.


NOTE: The transmission computer is in the right kick panel on tourings, not under the hood.



Btw I simply replaced the socket side of pin 10 with a ground socket from the blue A/M switch connector. I then reconnected the x511 connector.
SO in conclusion...x511 on the pin side was #10 grey wire as normal, but socket side #10 was a brown ground. This was easier to me than pulling them both out into a new connector as lowell suggested.
Hey T.
Great to hear from you. Glad you could offer OP some help.

How's school going?
__________________
Most problems are usually something simple !

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-17-2013, 07:39 PM
Monsignor's Avatar
Monsignor Monsignor is offline
BMW CCA Memeber #445389
Location: Pineapple Under the Sea
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,199
Mein Auto: M50 Big Body
Super effective PM!!!! Welcome back TWard!!!!!

Sent from Joe's Galaxy SIII via BimmerApp
__________________


1995 525iA 250k mi
2006 325i/6 57k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi

Instagram: @Titan_E34
Snapchat: Titan_E34

Last edited by Monsignor; 01-18-2013 at 06:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-18-2013, 01:14 PM
johnnymurry996 johnnymurry996 is offline
Registered User
Location: us
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 1991 bmw 525i
thanks for the help, i have done what u said and i still get the trans program every time i start the car. i have researched the hell out the problem and havent found anything that works.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-18-2013, 02:07 PM
Monsignor's Avatar
Monsignor Monsignor is offline
BMW CCA Memeber #445389
Location: Pineapple Under the Sea
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,199
Mein Auto: M50 Big Body
is the dme different for an automatic -> manual? you're computer is trying to sense the trans and it's coming up with errors...
__________________


1995 525iA 250k mi
2006 325i/6 57k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi

Instagram: @Titan_E34
Snapchat: Titan_E34
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-18-2013, 07:21 PM
johnnymurry996 johnnymurry996 is offline
Registered User
Location: us
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 1991 bmw 525i
parts car

i have a parts car that is the same year and model, i have swapped the ccm and the ecm hoping it would solve the issue, no luck so far tho
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms