Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 01-18-2013, 05:54 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36blownpast View Post
Well then wouldn't a trannie chip help adjust the shift points or a possible m3 auto trannie? Or do they not make those? Is thier another 3 series that has a better auto trannie? Also I'm looking into the throttle body that dinan makes does this require a special chip? I would do this after new exaust....intake I built today, box I used stainless steal, piping 3.5 in leading into the MAF and 3 in leading into the throttle body, and everything coated in that ceramic heat resistant stuff.
The transmission computer for the auto tranny is already pretty well optimized and there are so many other things your money could be spent on instead of a tranny chip that will give far more noticeable results.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:01 PM
Poet of Signature Quotes

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 328is
Every $100 spent on something like a tranny chip is a $100 you could have put towards something that would make a much more noticeable difference is all we are saying. For 1k you could have a turbo kit. You could end up spending 10% of that on a chip that you'll never really notice. That turbo could give you a lot more than a tranny chip ever will. Save your money for a MAJOR improvement, don't nickel and dime minor ones.

"It doesn't do any good for me to know more than you if you aren't going to listen to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
So let it be written, so let it be done.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:25 PM

Mein Auto: E36 325i
Well then lemme ask u what am I looking at price wise on doing the swap.....and man I have a feeling that would be a HUDGE pain in me a$$ not to mention the extra coin.....that I don't have...I'm not exactly looking for a track car this is stil the summer daily driver....but I want to turn this car into a head turner with a bit of balls to back up the good looks
Old 01-18-2013, 08:38 PM
Poet of Signature Quotes

That's going to depend on a couple of factors. Do you want to put it in yourself? And where you get the trans for it. I just saw a junk 5sp 325 for $800. I thought of buying it for the trans since I'd do the clutch anyways when I swapped it. So look for a trans at the breakers or online or a whole car. If that's what you want to do. If not hey, I have an auto but I don't mind it.

"It doesn't do any good for me to know more than you if you aren't going to listen to me"

Quote:
Old 01-18-2013, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: E36 325i
I would do it myself....I'm handy with a set of tools, but what about.....clutch master cylinder is that included in the $800 or not.....clutch pedal assembly? Clutch cables...ect....I'v done this before for a friend but it was on a 240sx instead....I could go pick up a 5 speed and look at it a bit in my garage lol naw like I said I'm content with the auto nxt bmw I buy will be manual instead and I hear you out on the trans chip thanks for the advice
Old 01-18-2013, 09:38 PM
I like pie.

Mein Auto: 96 318ti, 93 BMW 325IS
If you buy a whole car it'll have everything, plus you can recoup most of the cost by parting the rest out.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App

Old 01-19-2013, 05:07 AM
Poet of Signature Quotes

This ^^^^
You also said that you didn't have the coin for something like this, and what I am saying is you never will if you keep buying minor improvements like tranny chips. Save your money and use it to make an impact. Go big or don't bother!

Quote:

Last edited by SCJon; 01-19-2013 at 05:11 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:32 AM

Mein Auto: 1996 E36 328i
Sorry to rehash on something about 10 posts ago but it's the first time I'm reading it and would like to clarify (leaving in 3 instead of "D") the way I read it is that starting at the lights so to speak in "3" instead of "D" is the same as the sport mode that the later models have?? I've never heard this in any type of auto. Interesting if I am reading this correctly.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app