Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: 528xi
Exclamation f10 coding help

Hi guys, i just got my Enet cable today and i have been following the E-Sys - Getting_Started-Coding.pdf guide and i am getting an error when i try to "read coding data", i am getting the following error (see pic) on any CAFD file i try to read. I am using the the BMW_E-Sys_3.18.4_47.5. Any help is much appreciated.. Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	358302   Click image for larger version

Name:	error2.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	358303  

Last edited by jatt99; 01-18-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2013, 08:50 PM

i know i am probably doing something stupid.. i would really appreciate it, if some one can please direct me in the right direction. I have psdz files locate in the ESysData folder (pic below).... also when i connected for the first time to the car, the E-Sys didn't ask for a PIN...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	psdz.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	358309  

Last edited by jatt99; 01-18-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
That CAFD (0f_005_022_007) is in the 47.4 data set, so have a current enough data.

Did you expanded the psdzdata archive (the .rar files) into the C:\ESysData\psdzdata\swe directory?

The C:\ESysData\psdzdata directory should have 7 directories in it (extLibs, kiswb, mainseries, mapping, security, swe, and temp).

The C:\ESysData\psdzdata\swe directory should have 9 directories in it. The one you are interested in is cafd. Make sure the cafd_0000000f.caf.005_022_007 file is there.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatt99 View Post
i know i am probably doing something stupid.. i would really appreciate it, if some one can please direct me in the right direction. I have psdz files locate in the ESysData folder (pic below).... also when i connected for the first time to the car, the E-Sys didn't ask for a PIN...
What does the psdzdata directory have inside it?
Old 01-18-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogmanF30 View Post
What does the psdzdata directory have inside it?
thanks for a fast reply FrogmanF30, please see the attached files. I am missing the "temp" folder within psdzdata folder. i am using PSdZ Data 47.5
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	swefolder.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	358311   Click image for larger version

Name:	cafdfolder.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	358312   Click image for larger version

Name:	insidepsdzfolder.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	358313  

Last edited by jatt99; 01-18-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:57 PM

First, in the D:\ESysData directory, rename the 'e-sys est' directory to just 'est'. The instructions you followed are misleading. If you rename the dir, you will need to re-register the token in E-Sys (Settings ->EST). You registered the token, right?

Second, I've only ever installed the data to C:, you've installed to D:. Did you change E-Sys to find the data on the D: drive (Settings -> Program and ODX)?

Last edited by FrogmanF30; 01-18-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
First, in the D:\ESysData directory, rename the 'e-sys est' directory to just 'est'. The instructions you followed are misleading. If you rename the dir, you will need to re-register the token in E-Sys (Settings ->EST). You registered the token, right?

Second, I've only ever installed the data to C:, you've installed to D:. Did you change E-Sys to find the data on the D: drive (Settings -> Program and ODX)?
i did not register any token, i am not sure what or how to do that? The E-sys is setup to find data on the D: drive. The reason i have everything on D: drive is because, i wanted to have the car data on a clean partition. Following your advice i change the e-sys est to just est and then i adjusted the settings within the E-sys to make sure the file path is correct. Take a look at the attached files
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	odxsetting.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	358315   Click image for larger version

Name:	est.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	358316   Click image for larger version

Name:	esys.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	358317  
Old 01-18-2013, 10:17 PM

Mein Auto: F10
Quote:
Hi guys, i just got my Enet cable today and i have been following the E-Sys - Getting_Started-Coding.pdf guide and i am getting an error when i try to "read coding data", i am getting the following error (see pic) on any CAFD file i try to read. I am using the the BMW_E-Sys_3.18.4_47.5. Any help is much appreciated.. Thanks in advance
That's really strange because CAFD "005_022_007" has been within psdzdata since 46.3, so there's no reason why it should be in 47.5. Even with this being the case, you should grab 48.3 if you have the capability.

I've attached the CAFD, just download it, remove the .pdf from the file and drop the file into your CAFD folder.

The only other thing I would check is to see if you have the dist folders in your installation (C:\ESysData\psdzdata\mainseries\F010\F010_12_03_5 1 1\odx\dist). There should be one for each "mainseries"

Finally, it shouldn't ask for the PIN until you get to the "Edit FDL" step. Try these steps and see what E-Sys outputs.

Sean
Attached Files
File Type: pdf cafd_0000000f.caf.005_022_007.pdf (888.4 KB, 17 views)
Old 01-18-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
i did not register any token, i am not sure what or how to do that? The E-sys is setup to find data on the D: drive. The reason i have everything on D: drive is because, i wanted to have the car data on a clean partition. Following your advice i change the e-sys est to just est and then i adjusted the settings within the E-sys to make sure the file path is correct. Take a look at the attached files
By registering, I mean just setting E-Sys to find the .est file, which you did.

You should probably create the temp directory in psdzdata, just in case. I don't know if you really need it or not, but it can't hurt.

I can't think of anything else. If other things were wrong, you wouldn't even be able to connect.

Have you tried reading your CAFD files from your car again?

You are connecting via the VIN, selecting the F010 chassis, and NOT using the _DIRECT connection type, right?
Old 01-18-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
thanks for a fast reply FrogmanF30, please see the attached files. I am missing the "temp" folder within psdzdata folder. i am using PSdZ Data 47.5
Looking at you token location and your folders, it looks like the token is located on your machine at D:\Esysdata\e-sys est\codeaway.est

You have it directed in the actual program to D:\Esysdata\est\codeaway.est

This needs to be corrected.

Sean
Old 01-18-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSW1 View Post
That's really strange because CAFD "005_022_007" has been within psdzdata since 46.3, so there's no reason why it should be in 47.5. Even with this being the case, you should grab 48.3 if you have the capability.

I've attached the CAFD, just download it, remove the .pdf from the file and drop the file into your CAFD folder.

The only other thing I would check is to see if you have the dist folders in your installation (C:\ESysData\psdzdata\mainseries\F010\F010_12_03_5 1 1\odx\dist). There should be one for each "mainseries"

Finally, it shouldn't ask for the PIN until you get to the "Edit FDL" step. Try these steps and see what E-Sys outputs.

Sean
Thanks Sean, i will give it a go. everything seems to be there. i replaced my 005_022_007 with the one you attached. The thing is i was not able to read coding on any of the cafd files. but i will go in the garage right now and give it another try.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Looking at you token location and your folders, it looks like the token is located on your machine at D:\Esysdata\e-sys est\codeaway.est

You have it directed in the actual program to D:\Esysdata\est\codeaway.est

This needs to be corrected.

Sean
actually it was e-sys est on the D: drive and i followed what you said and then took a print screen. This is corrected. The E-sys is pointing to the est folder on the D: drive
Old 01-18-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
By registering, I mean just setting E-Sys to find the .est file, which you did.

You should probably create the temp directory in psdzdata, just in case. I don't know if you really need it or not, but it can't hurt.

I can't think of anything else. If other things were wrong, you wouldn't even be able to connect.

Have you tried reading your CAFD files from your car again?

You are connecting via the VIN, selecting the F010 chassis, and NOT using the _DIRECT connection type, right?
Yea i am selecting the F010 Chassis and via vin .. i am gonna give it a try right now
Old 01-18-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
actually it was e-sys est on the D: drive and i followed what you said and then took a print screen. This is corrected. The E-sys is pointing to the est folder on the D: drive
I just noticed that you are having trouble connecting to any of the CAFD files. You may have corruption in the install or psdzdata files. I'll PM you a link to 48.3. Download them and we'll go from there.

Sean
Old 01-18-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
I just noticed that you are having trouble connecting to any of the CAFD files. You may have corruption in the install or psdzdata files. I'll PM you a link to 48.3. Download them and we'll go from there.

Sean
Thanks Sean, I am happy to say "it worked !!!!", Thank you for being such a great help. I am not sure exactly what we did different, but your troubleshooting skills are much much appreciated. I tried changing the SPEEDLOCK_X_KMH_MIN and SPEEDLOCK_X_KMH_MAX values to FF and failed miserably , but i am happy that i can atleast get to edit the cafd's now... Thanks a lot again
Old 01-18-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks Sean, I am happy to say "it worked !!!!", Thank you for being such a great help. I am not sure exactly what we did different, but your troubleshooting skills are much much appreciated. I tried changing the SPEEDLOCK_X_KMH_MIN and SPEEDLOCK_X_KMH_MAX values to FF and failed miserably , but i am happy that i can atleast get to edit the cafd's now... Thanks a lot again
Excellent. Glad to hear you're up and running. Remember when writing the hex values to "SPEEDLOCK_X_KMH_MIN and SPEEDLOCK_X_KMH_MAX " you use the save to the right of the hex value window in conjunction with the save icon at the top of E-Sys.

So edit "00" to "FF" then click "Apply Changes" button (right side of screen). Click "Save" and "Back Arrow" then proceed with "Activate FA" if previously not done, open ECU folder you were working in, highlight CAFD and FDL code.

Sean
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DVD in Motion.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	358318  

Last edited by ImSW1; 01-18-2013 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Added Picture
Old 01-18-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Also (at least for the F30's), you have to change the function value from nicht_aktiv (Werte=00) to one of the speed based values, and then change the Werte to FF.

As Sean said, when you edit the Werte value, in the lower window, you have to "submit" it by clicking the icon to the right of that window. Read the getting started part 2 on how to change Werte values:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...5&d=1338725691
Old 01-18-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Also (at least for the F30's), you have to change the function value from nicht_aktiv (Werte=00) to one of the speed based values, and then change the Werte to FF.

As Sean said, when you edit the Werte value, in the lower window, you have to "submit" it by clicking the icon to the right of that window. Read the getting started part 2 on how to change Werte values:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...5&d=1338725691
FrogmanF30,

Interesting on the F30 chassis' extra step. I haven't kept up with the nuances of the F30. The extra step isn't necessary on the F10 but I'll be keeping it in mind if and when I see an F30. Good info.

Sean
Old 01-19-2013, 09:50 AM

Thanks guys, everything is working like a charm.