Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:04 PM

Mein Auto: Lexus Gs350
A dog in the GT?

Hello,

Since I saw the GT for the first time I knew that it would have been a candidate for my next car.

I particularly like the interior's layout but I have a dilemma. how about placing the dog in the back cargo area instead of the seats as I do now. By looking at it I can see that it cannot be done unless the back seats are down and even then, I'm not sure she would fit in it. She is a relatively large tall dog, about 90lb.

Is here any gt's owner carrying a large dog in it? Could you please share your experience?

Thank you
Ads by Google
Old 01-19-2013, 09:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i GT
I have a 75lb lab and he loves the back cargo area. I do not put the seats down except for very long trips (over an hour). I do remove the shelf that insulates the main cabin from the trunk of course, and he fits nicely back there, with plenty of room to turn around, curl up, walk back and forth, etc. For longer trips I put one of the seats down so that he can lay down and see out the front. For me, it's an ideal car for a dog since he can be in the way-back and not get dog fur all over the main cabin or damage the leather seats.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:24 AM

...That's encouraging, thank you.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:48 AM
Bayerische Motoren Werke

Mein Auto: '12 550I GT/ '10 Golf TDI
We have a 70lb doberman. I keep the seats down and have no issues. I've tried with 1 or both seats up and it does not work for us but as it worked for the previous poster it all depends.

One other note. The back hatch window is a heat sink. We do a lot of long trips with the dog and it was a sauna back there. We ended up tinting the rear hatch and rear windows even though we had the factory sunshades.

IMHO, the x5 we had previiously worked much better as far as the dog is concerned. Good luck.

Gone but not forgotten:
2009 X5 35d
2007 335i European Delivery with Performance Center Re-Delivery * ED May 4, 2007 Link to ED Trip Report / PCD July 5th, 2007 Link to Performance Center Re-Delivery Trip Report
2007 X3 European Delivery with Performance Center Re-Delivery
2002 330ci, 1997 328i, 1990 325i
Old 01-21-2013, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
Dog in GT

Our 45lbs dog is always in the cargo area. She loves it there. We bought a crate that fits perfectly . We take out the shelf (can be stored nicely in a separate compartment) and fold the middle seat and wall. A 90 lbs dog should fit.I would recommend a BMW cargo mat for the GT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Maya1.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	358669   Click image for larger version

Name:	maya 2.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	358670  
Old 01-26-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hausen View Post
Our 45lbs dog is always in the cargo area. She loves it there. We bought a crate that fits perfectly . We take out the shelf (can be stored nicely in a separate compartment) and fold the middle seat and wall. A 90 lbs dog should fit.I would recommend a BMW cargo mat for the GT.
That's a nice crate with a very cute dog! But I don't think mine would fit in it easily. She is a giant schnauzer with relatively long legs. Only lowering the back seats could work, I think... The dealer was reluctant to try in the floor-car.