Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: BMW 760Li BMW X5 4.8iS
Good morning PAPER, I am glad to hear all is well with your daughter....

All you guys that lost Radio and GPS etc after window tinting. A problem that has happened to many owners here in OZ is this.

As you are aware all the antennas reside in the rear window. If you get your rear window tinted with metal particle film, which is nice and dark and will last a long time, it is guaranteed to interfere even cancel completely your cars ability to receive signals.

After my car was tinted, I lost everything. I went back to another tinter and he pointed out that you cannot use metal particle tint on the rear window for that very reason. He removed the metal particle tint, and replaced it with a special tint designed for windows that have antennas in them, and I got full radio and GPS etc all back.

So I am just wondering for those of you who have lost signal after getting the window tinted, check to see if you have had your windows tinted with the metal particle tint. It is cheaper than the correct tint that you should use on your rear window, but I know this worked for me and fixed my signal loss.

Last edited by AceFX; 01-26-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: BMW 760Li BMW X5 4.8iS
Here is a link to the MOST bus circuit diagram. It is important to note that each device produces it's own light to send to the next device. If you have lost light arriving at one device, I would be looking to the device before it to see why it is not producing the light to send to the next device. Each device has it's own receiver and a light transmitter/producer. From what I have read and learned, the light doesn't start anywhere, each device produces it's own light to transmit..... that's what I have learned and understand so far.

http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/svg...8308.svg?m=e65

Last edited by AceFX; 01-26-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:36 PM
Jssmi765

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
No I have not.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 745i
disconnect 1 module at a time and plug in most bus loop then switch on car. in other words, disconnect the gps, plug in most bus loop and test and so on. Have you plugged the car in to GT1 or DIS or launch system to test modules? Have you tried disconnecting the most bus loop and reconnecting? Have you checked battery voltage? Have you tried to do reset of all systems? go here for repair manuals: http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/e65/745i_(N62)
Old 01-26-2012, 09:44 PM
Jssmi765

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
The only module I have not been able to test independently is the radio unit... I know where it is but I haven't been able to find instructions on accessing it, I don't want to tear apart the interior getting to it. Battery voltage is good (tested), I have reset the systems and disconnected/reconnected the most bus loop. I don't have access to a GT1 or DIS.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:49 PM

Mein Auto: 745i

try link above... get the car diagnosed before digging any further. Have you had the L7 tested and did you recode the ASK unit?
Old 01-26-2012, 09:51 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssmi765 View Post
The only module I have not been able to test independently is the radio unit... I know where it is but I haven't been able to find instructions on accessing it, I don't want to tear apart the interior getting to it. Battery voltage is good (tested), I have reset the systems and disconnected/reconnected the most bus loop. I don't have access to a GT1 or DIS.
so you tested the amp , voice module , cd changer , navi unit & the rest of
the stuff in the loop ??? if you tested all that & the problem is still there ,
then it must be your radio ( Ask unit )

what exactly is your problem ???what is your radio doing ???

If you need a Custom 2014 DVD Navigation Map
East or West for your E65 E66 PM me for price .
Or if you Need an AUX Plug for your car hit me up

Last edited by PAPER; 01-26-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 bmw 760li
please teachfreak help or someone

my navi radio cd,etc went out so i read the fourm and i took the (foc)most coupler out of glovebox and tried on navi it dident work and when i pluged my foc most coupler back in the glove box i get all kinds of error messeges like (abs out, systronic out cruise contol out ac doesent and power steering dont work pleaseeeeeee help what should i do thanks alot jack jae.good@mail.com p.s. i went out n bought another coupler and it dident work either
Old 04-17-2012, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 745Li
iDrive cutting in and out

\

Last edited by weebee290; 05-08-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: 325I
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechFreak View Post
Yep...correct !
thanks for all the posts and links, was able to trace my problem the the ASK unit, replaced unit and all is right with the world. this is a great forum for the novice or DIYS car geek.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: 740
Got a similar problem trying to diagnose MOST bus.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=671068

Here's my problem:

"BMW" is only displayed (PIC#1)on the navigation screen (unless I break the MOST fiber loop-more info later). Wont do anything! No radio, chime, voice control, ect.

I tried that trick to bypass modules (ASK CD player, Voice Controller, CD changer, L7 Amp, Tuner) to exclude them from the MOST bus but not seem to be gaining any ground. I took that factory fiber loop from the glove box to bypass these modules.....

FYI: I did not have to purchase a spare, I just took the loop connector apart and connected the two end together (the fiber ends in the glove PIC #3)-this seemed to do the trick. It seems if ring bus is broke the red LED does flash, when connected red LED stays light. I took the actual fiber optic line out of the connector housing and used it for bypassing.

......1) when I used the 'fiber loop' to bypass any the modules in the trunk and including the ASK or CD changer in the dash (PIC #5), nothing happens. 'BMW' logo will still be displayed on the screen.
2) when i take any of the modules out of the network ring (unplugging ANY of the modules-not 'bypassing' anything) I DO GET the 'accept' prompt on the nav display (PIC#7) and can navigate through some functions but can operate only the climate functions. No Nav(PIC#8) or radio (PIC#9), chime, ect. I can only scroll through.
3) I also tried that trick to go into the MOST diagnostic screen (PIC#10), but nothing comes up under the 'MOST' menu. Again, the only way can control anything on the Nav display is when the MOST fiber ring is broke. If I try to connect the fiber ring back together at that point, it will just freeze on whatever is display I have up.
4) Nav disk DVD does seem to spin and eject fine. Although I have noticed it will still spin when the ignition is off.
5) Dash CD player seems to a spin the CD, but no sound of course.
6) CD changer tries to eject a the cartridge. But it never worked anyway.
7) All the modules seem to be transmitting light via the fiber.

Basically, the 'BMW' logo stays on when everything is connected and I cant do anything.

I got my whole car torn apart and need some advise on what to do next?
Do I need some software to reset the ghost errors after bypassing each module?
Old 05-04-2013, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: 740
Problem solved

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=#post7324530
Old 09-08-2013, 03:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 745li
DrewbimmerGA can u post pic?

Hi Drewbimmer GA,

Can you post of pic of the modified jumper connected. I'd like to try too...my 2003 745li the radio goes in and out..i'll try what you did but not sure how to do it? thanks for any help you or any one can offer. Thank you. Bob of Jersey Shore, PA
Old 01-07-2014, 02:36 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2004 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yancboy1 View Post
@DrewBimmerGA Could you take a pic of it installed? i just ordered mine today and i have no idea what to do with it yet.
I have the same issue with my car. The iDrive is unresponsive, the single CD and CD changer are greyed out. I can attempt to change selections, but no changes will take place. Also the screen freezes completely after 20 minutes of driving and shortly after the screen goes blank. After a restart goes back to the BMW message prompt and same thing again.

I have read a few post on this forum and purchased the fibre-optic-jumper from BMW. I tried to jump out the Nav, Voice Input, Phone and the Amplifier in the rear-left of the trunk. But it did not make any difference.

I have not attempted to jump out the Single CD/CD changer yet. I don't know how hard it is go get to them in the dash. But they could also be bad as well, right?

On another note, I have also heard that an older/bad battery may cause this as well. Don't know how that could be. But my battery is 10 years old and still works perfectly with 12.4 volts off and 15 volts on. I have never had an issue with the battery.

Other strange things:
- "Dynamic Drive Inactive" status also shows up once in a while.

Anyone could recommend what I should be checking for next?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: AC Schnitzer 745i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmahjobi View Post
I have the same issue with my car. The iDrive is unresponsive, the single CD and CD changer are greyed out. I can attempt to change selections, but no changes will take place. Also the screen freezes completely after 20 minutes of driving and shortly after the screen goes blank. After a restart goes back to the BMW message prompt and same thing again.

I have read a few post on this forum and purchased the fibre-optic-jumper from BMW. I tried to jump out the Nav, Voice Input, Phone and the Amplifier in the rear-left of the trunk. But it did not make any difference.

I have not attempted to jump out the Single CD/CD changer yet. I don't know how hard it is go get to them in the dash. But they could also be bad as well, right?

On another note, I have also heard that an older/bad battery may cause this as well. Don't know how that could be. But my battery is 10 years old and still works perfectly with 12.4 volts off and 15 volts on. I have never had an issue with the battery.

Other strange things:
- "Dynamic Drive Inactive" status also shows up once in a while.

Anyone could recommend what I should be checking for next?

Thanks in advance.
Check your ASK module (single CD player in dash)

Post #131 above shows the video on how to remove it.

Also read this thread too :

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=740962

Old 01-07-2014, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
A battery on its way out can cause strange things to happen. The car is designed to actively manage the power draw for each of the up-to 72 different modules installed in the car. A bad battery can also cause that dynamic drive error. Get it replaced and PROPERLY registered with the car.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-11-2014, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: 745i 05
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechFreak View Post
Get hold of another MOST BUS LOOP Connector (same as the one in the glove box) then bypass each Control Unit in the trunk/boot... one at a time.

Hopefully when you bypass the faulty control unit other functions will appear on the IDrive indicating which unit is having the problem.
How do you bypass a control unit example : logic 7 amplifier
Like you just plug the MOST bus in the control unit harness or what?
Old 01-13-2014, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 2004 745i
Thanks for your reply. I will try the battery replacement after I test the single CD & CD changer in the dash. By the way, mine is 2004 e65 and I have read that this model does _NOT_ require battery registration.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:06 PM

Mein Auto: AC Schnitzer 745i Sport
'ALL' E65's require Battery Registration.....regardless of year.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by TechFreak; 01-13-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:00 PM

Mein Auto: '06 750Li
hey guys,

having the same problem on my '06 750Li, it all started a couple of weeks ago and it was initially randomly happening so i didn't really pay much attention, i blamed initially the Navigation DVD which is not original, so i put back the original one and it did the trick for a few hours then problem came back. What it does is, Sat Nav screen goes black, then the sound cuts off and the whole unit restarts and sat nav comes back, this was the beginning because yesterday it got frozen with a black Sat Nav screen, a dead idrive joystick and the only thing i could see on the screen was the main menu but couldn't navigate through it.

When a CD is in either the ASK unit or CD-changer it does play, when it's not frozen, so i guess these would be ok?!

I have ordered the MOST Bus Loop and will start troubleshooting the modules. My car was tinted 4 months ago so i guess it has nothing to do with it since it worked alright so far.
Will update this as soon as i have news. I do hope i will fix it as i really love the car and don't want to ditch it because of this issue.

Last edited by mik15; 03-15-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:25 PM
blessed

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 745li
Okay so here's my problem I don't know if its unique but my my passenger side speakers are not working and everytime I put in my ask radio if I leave it in and I'll leave car in two days it will drain my battery not to mention there seems to be an aftermarket am Alpine amp installed in the trunk I disconnected it and I'm not giving any much difference the speakers on my driver side work but they keep cutting in and out any suggestions
Old 03-21-2014, 09:40 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by datpoet View Post
Okay so here's my problem I don't know if its unique but my my passenger side speakers are not working and everytime I put in my ask radio if I leave it in and I'll leave car in two days it will drain my battery not to mention there seems to be an aftermarket am Alpine amp installed in the trunk I disconnected it and I'm not giving any much difference the speakers on my driver side work but they keep cutting in and out any suggestions
sounds like you need a new Ask unit ...

Old 03-22-2014, 07:42 AM
blessed

.that's what I thought. any thoughts on the aftermarket Alpine amp screwed to the top of my trunk. I disconnected it doesn't seem to make a difference I mean a little bass is gone but nothing else.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:39 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by datpoet View Post
.that's what I thought. any thoughts on the aftermarket Alpine amp screwed to the top of my trunk. I disconnected it doesn't seem to make a difference I mean a little bass is gone but nothing else.
Take some pics & post them , so we can
get an idea of what it's doing

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 03-22-2014, 02:19 PM
blessed

Ok in about 2 hours.