Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-17-2010, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Erroneous Gas Cap Warning

I'm getting an warning that my gas cap is off but it's not true. Anyone else have that? Gonna take it in...
Ads by Google
Old 12-17-2010, 08:30 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Make sure you tighten it completely.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
I got this a LOT when I first picked up the 3 series. If you don't tighten it enough it'll sense it's off and I had to take it to the dealership to clear the code.. which cost me $$$. I wasted so much money dealing with that bull**** problem as it would flag my check engine light or something like that so I had to have them check it and reset codes. I could have saved money buying the code reader for $250 at the time and clearing it myself each time.

From my experience so far this is a normal issue. Can you clear it yourself now in idrive or do you have to take it in? I'd recommend getting the tools to check your codes and clear them yourself. Save the money in the long run.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
I had that problem in my previous E60 528i. The check engine light came on and I took the car to Service. Their diagnostic: a defective gas cap seal. It was replaced and the problem was solved for good.

Fast forward to my F10: gas cap open warning and check engine light comes on. Having experienced this issue before, I tightened the gas cap and make sure that it is tight every time I put gas (which is often in my 550i). The gas cap open warning has not reappeared, but the check engine light is still on. I'll take the car to Service this weekend. No big deal, IMO.
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Retired: 2008 528i Space Gray.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
As mentioned before, it can be a small rubber gasket that is causing the problem and allowing gas cap to not seat properly. Also there is a chance that you could have a leak around the filler tube. Definitely take the car in.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:58 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

When I first filled up my new F10 I was surprised that the gas cap did not have the usual "click" mechanism where you continue turning until you get the multiple clicks indicating it's fully tightened. For those who may not know, the F10 now uses a gas cap that basically stops when turned to tighten -- no more multiple clicks. I haven't seen a warning on mine as of yet, but I wonder if this design is more susceptible to air leaks.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 12-17-2010, 05:40 PM

Fixed!

I took it in my dealer and they gave me a new cap and reset the computer. Checked the tires while they were at it. It only took about twenty minutes. It was a very pleasant service experience. BMW rules!
Old 12-17-2010, 05:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by coda70 View Post
I took it in my dealer and they gave me a new cap and reset the computer. Checked the tires while they were at it. It only took about twenty minutes. It was a very pleasant service experience. BMW rules!
Great! I'll tell the service people when I take my car tomorrow that it should take them 20 minutes to fix this thing. I hope they have a gas cap in stock.
ED on Sep. 28, 2010: 550i Dark Graphite Metallic, Oyster/Black Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Convenience Package, Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package 1 (Std.) & 2, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Active Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, Side and Top View Cameras, 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control.

Retired: 2008 528i Space Gray.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto: 528, CTS
Looks like I'm having the same problem I need to take the car in for its first service this month. Should I just tell them then and see if they can give me a new fuel cap and reset the computer?

And yes, I tightened the fuel cap...five times...and it came back each time thereafter.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 528xi
My dealer said 2012 528xi is recalling for fuel cap software issue and last week I took my car to dealer fix this issue.