Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-19-2013, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 5SE Auto
BMW iPhone 4 Snap-In, have I been ripped off?

I recently got a BMW 5SE Diesel Auto with Navigation system-BMW Professional Multimedia.

As soon I had got it, i dropped by the BMW showroom to pickup the iPhone 4S Snap-in for the central console thinking that must be the best and tightest integration. Admittedly, its great for the phone and the call quality is great.

Imagine my surprise when I found the integration was better using the USB cable I got free with the phone with iphone like menus, music randomisation, play list support, full track information, cover art and the final insult, the same phone integration.

So... at the risk of opening the floodgates, have I been a 'numpty' and let BMW rip me off by not doing my homework upfront or am I missing something about the snap in? Neither is a win to be honest but it would help to know. If I'm not missing something and have been ripped off, I can only say how disappointed I am in BMW's snap-in and BMW for selling it with rubbish integration.

Mark
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2013, 04:21 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2015 320i
There are several types of snap-in for the iPhone. Which one are we talking about here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFoley35 View Post
I recently got a BMW 5SE Diesel Auto with Navigation system-BMW Professional Multimedia.

As soon I had got it, i dropped by the BMW showroom to pickup the iPhone 4S Snap-in for the central console thinking that must be the best and tightest integration. Admittedly, its great for the phone and the call quality is great.

Imagine my surprise when I found the integration was better using the USB cable I got free with the phone with iphone like menus, music randomisation, play list support, full track information, cover art and the final insult, the same phone integration.

So... at the risk of opening the floodgates, have I been a 'numpty' and let BMW rip me off by not doing my homework upfront or am I missing something about the snap in? Neither is a win to be honest but it would help to know. If I'm not missing something and have been ripped off, I can only say how disappointed I am in BMW's snap-in and BMW for selling it with rubbish integration.

Mark
Old 01-19-2013, 10:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5M
FAQ: BMW iPhone 5 and iOS 6 Functionality, Bluetooth and Y-Cable Overview
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=758492

Below description is taken from BMW accessories section

OEM BMW Apple iPhone Snap-in Adapters

Phone version (requires base plate) snap-in adapters provide:
  • Charging of the device
  • Secure and stable docking location
  • Vehicle specific mount
  • Improved reception by connecting to the vehicles external antenna
Music version (vehicles up to 9/2010, requires option 6NF) adds:
  • Integrated USB connection which negates the need for a separate audio cable
  • Access to the music tracks stored on the Smartphone
Media version (vehicles from 9/2010 and on, requires 6NF or 6NR) includes the same as Music version and adds:
  • Display of "cover art". With "cover art", the applicable song's original album cover will be displayed on the central information display.
  • For vehicles equipped w/ BMW Apps (SA 6NR), this adapter allows the full functionality of the option, including 'video playback' and the 'plugin' feature.
*E70/E71 X5/X6 w/ 6NF/6NR use Music version up to 10/2010, and Media version from 10/2010 and onwards
Old 01-20-2013, 02:55 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 5SE Auto
Thanks for the fast reply, it's the Basic Snap In, so looking at Qadhi79's post I would translate that to 'the Phone version'.

It cost me 78. Doing more investigation it appears the more complex versions are approx. 120 and 150. Now I like my BMW to look nice, with no cables hanging out, so 78 for a nice tidy snap-in seems reasonable. Although manufacture cost is probably less than 5, I recognise it is a prestige model and some elements are not going to be costed competitively. What is disappointing is that the USB cable beats it hands down, can be nicely hid away in the central console and comes free with my phone. To then charge double for another snap-in that only does what the USB cable does ... leads me to wish I had checked my facts first and saved 78.

What I can't understand is why BMW bother to sell 3 snap-ins, I would have purchased the 150 one if I had been told about it at the parts counter!!

Also, the manufacture cost if the 150 version would be the same as 78 version. Bit of a needless rip-off.

So unless any of your good selves tell me I've misunderstood the situation, I'm going to put a USB cable in the central console for my daily driving and dedicate the snap in as an additional charging point I've created for my wife to use on long journeys. #LemonadeFromLemons

Thanks

Mark
Old 01-20-2013, 08:24 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2015 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFoley35 View Post

What I can't understand is why BMW bother to sell 3 snap-ins, I would have purchased the 150 one if I had been told about it at the parts counter!!
Some customers wants the cheaper stuff and are not that interested in the features, just that the price is cheaper. And part departments personnel are not that well trained in the latest and greatest electronic accessories for them to make suggestions to customers about which option to get.

Add both and this is what you are going to get. That's why.

Try to find an used Media snap-in on eBay.