Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Robert A Robert A is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,384
Mein Auto: BMW 535d
Value of M Sport 535i in used car market

What's a good guess of the value of a 2010 535i with M Sport in 3 years time? I'm trying to make a decision about purchasing a CPO that I would hold until the warranty is about to expire.

Almost everything about this car seems very desirable. Colors, options, overall condition are great. Negotiated price today is somewhere between 36k and 37k, which I think is about right.

Car currently has roughly 25k miles. In 3 years' time, the car would probably have between 40k and 45k miles. I would eventually sell it privately.

I like the car, but I want to make sure the economics make sense.
__________________
Robert A
BMWCCA Member



Current
2014 535d, M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha Nappa
Prior
2007 530i, White/Black, 6MT
2001 530i, Orient Blue/Beige, 5MT
1994 325is, White/Black 5MT
1984 325e, White/Black 5MT
1983 318i, Delphin/Beige 4MT
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 01-19-2013, 03:22 PM
bkun bkun is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 190
Mein Auto: BMW 528xi - 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post
What's a good guess of the value of a 2010 535i with M Sport in 3 years time? I'm trying to make a decision about purchasing a CPO that I would hold until the warranty is about to expire.

Almost everything about this car seems very desirable. Colors, options, overall condition are great. Negotiated price today is somewhere between 36k and 37k, which I think is about right.

Car currently has roughly 25k miles. In 3 years' time, the car would probably have between 40k and 45k miles. I would eventually sell it privately.

I like the car, but I want to make sure the economics make sense.
18-19k.
__________________
2008 BMW 528xi space gray, Premium, Cold Weather Package.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-19-2013, 03:57 PM
Cattani Cattani is offline
New to BMW
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 159
Mein Auto: 2006 550i
I'd say closer to $23k
__________________
2006 BMW 550i Base
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-19-2013, 05:27 PM
CK530 CK530 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Monmouth County, NJ
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 150
Mein Auto: 2013 550ix MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post
What's a good guess of the value of a 2010 535i with M Sport in 3 years time? I'm trying to make a decision about purchasing a CPO that I would hold until the warranty is about to expire.

Almost everything about this car seems very desirable. Colors, options, overall condition are great. Negotiated price today is somewhere between 36k and 37k, which I think is about right.

Car currently has roughly 25k miles. In 3 years' time, the car would probably have between 40k and 45k miles. I would eventually sell it privately.

I like the car, but I want to make sure the economics make sense.
Robert A,

Aren't you the CPA If a client asks you the same question then what will be your answer? There is a E60 thread created by paulo6 which he wants to trade up to a 2010 535 M Sport. His 2008 535ix (56K miles) dealer trade-in value was $19K. Avg asking price on Autotrade is around $24K. A good guess with your car with about 45K miles in 3 yrs would be low $20s. If you could sell the car for $22K in 3 yrs, then you will avg about $5k per year in car payments. To me, $5K per year to drive a luxury sport car make sense.

What are the options on the 2010 535? Interesting that the negotiated price is around $36K-$37K. About $4K less than what I'm asking for my car with 29K miles and babied to the T. I estimate my 550i M Sport with 50K in 3 yrs would be around $25K.
__________________

2013 550ix M Sport - AW/Black
2013 X5 50i M Sport - Carbon Black/Cinn (Wife)
2010 550i M Sport - AW/Black (Sold)
2007 530i Sport - AW/Auburn ED on 2/19/07 (Retired)
2001 740iL Sport - Anthracite/Beige (Retired)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-19-2013, 05:55 PM
Robert A Robert A is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,384
Mein Auto: BMW 535d
Yes I am a CPA.

The dealer made a statement that M-Sport cars carry significantly extra value in the used car marketplace relative to Sport. I'm questioning the group if this is true because it will play into my own estimate of future value.

This car has nav, PDC, sports auto, M-Sport, Value (which includes leather). The only common feature missing is Premium. MSRP is around 59.5k.

The car will run about $40k with tax. If it's worth $22k in 3 years (which is really a guess based on my '07), then the monthly cost at 0.9% interest is $523/month, which doesn't seem like a terribly good deal relative to buying new.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CK530 View Post
Robert A,

Aren't you the CPA If a client asks you the same question then what will be your answer? There is a E60 thread created by paulo6 which he wants to trade up to a 2010 535 M Sport. His 2008 535ix (56K miles) dealer trade-in value was $19K. Avg asking price on Autotrade is around $24K. A good guess with your car with about 45K miles in 3 yrs would be low $20s. If you could sell the car for $22K in 3 yrs, then you will avg about $5k per year in car payments. To me, $5K per year to drive a luxury sport car make sense.

What are the options on the 2010 535? Interesting that the negotiated price is around $36K-$37K. About $4K less than what I'm asking for my car with 29K miles and babied to the T. I estimate my 550i M Sport with 50K in 3 yrs would be around $25K.
__________________
Robert A
BMWCCA Member



Current
2014 535d, M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha Nappa
Prior
2007 530i, White/Black, 6MT
2001 530i, Orient Blue/Beige, 5MT
1994 325is, White/Black 5MT
1984 325e, White/Black 5MT
1983 318i, Delphin/Beige 4MT
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-19-2013, 08:46 PM
CK530 CK530 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Monmouth County, NJ
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 150
Mein Auto: 2013 550ix MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post
Yes I am a CPA.

The dealer made a statement that M-Sport cars carry significantly extra value in the used car marketplace relative to Sport. I'm questioning the group if this is true because it will play into my own estimate of future value.

This car has nav, PDC, sports auto, M-Sport, Value (which includes leather). The only common feature missing is Premium. MSRP is around 59.5k.

The car will run about $40k with tax. If it's worth $22k in 3 years (which is really a guess based on my '07), then the monthly cost at 0.9% interest is $523/month, which doesn't seem like a terribly good deal relative to buying new.
Yes, that is true about the E60 M-Sport cars. While I was doing some research in the 5Series.net forum about my sale, E60s with M-Sport Package get more hits then non-sport. I was looking at the used E60 market in the NJ area and not much with M-Sport package. I can't say the same for the F10 M-Sport. I see them all over in central Jersey.

Surprise you didn't went with the year-end 24 month lease special on the 2013 535 M-Sport. You could've gotten one from Jon for about $550 with 7 MSD.

GL with your purchase
__________________

2013 550ix M Sport - AW/Black
2013 X5 50i M Sport - Carbon Black/Cinn (Wife)
2010 550i M Sport - AW/Black (Sold)
2007 530i Sport - AW/Auburn ED on 2/19/07 (Retired)
2001 740iL Sport - Anthracite/Beige (Retired)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-19-2013, 09:19 PM
Robert A Robert A is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,384
Mein Auto: BMW 535d
If BMW were still making a 5 Series, as I understand a 5 Series to be, I wouldn't be looking at a 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK530 View Post
Surprise you didn't went with the year-end 24 month lease special on the 2013 535 M-Sport. You could've gotten one from Jon for about $550 with 7 MSD.

GL with your purchase
__________________
Robert A
BMWCCA Member



Current
2014 535d, M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha Nappa
Prior
2007 530i, White/Black, 6MT
2001 530i, Orient Blue/Beige, 5MT
1994 325is, White/Black 5MT
1984 325e, White/Black 5MT
1983 318i, Delphin/Beige 4MT
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-20-2013, 06:39 AM
Munich77 Munich77 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Washington DC
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,019
Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkun View Post
18-19k.
That would be my guess too. My 2008 is worth about 23K right now I think.
__________________
2008 535 xi, space grey, black dakota leather, premium package, sport package, cold weather package, nav, folding seats, PDC

BMW CCA Member
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-20-2013, 08:24 AM
z0lt3c's Avatar
z0lt3c z0lt3c is offline
what does this button do?
Location: Hunterdon County, NJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 869
Mein Auto: 08 535xit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post
The dealer made a statement that M-Sport cars carry significantly extra value in the used car marketplace relative to Sport. I'm questioning the group if this is true because it will play into my own estimate of future value.
My personal opinion, based on past experiences, is that the M sport package adds only a nominal, if any, price increase in resale. What it does help with is getting the car sold quicker, but certainly most dealers/wholesalers aren't going to give you anywhere near the premium price the option cost.

With regards to your cost of ownership calculations, it's hard to get ahead when buying directly from the dealer. Not only are they maintaining a certain level of profit on the vehicle but they are bundling in overpriced warranty and possibly maintenance expenses. The ownership math works much better if you can source one of these from a wholesale auction, or private party, then add the warranty on aftermarket, or not at all. I wouldn't pay more then $30K for a 2010 535 and I am sure your dealer didn't either.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-20-2013, 09:04 AM
moods14 moods14 is offline
Registered User
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 53
Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Hey Robert the dealership I work for is selling a 2010 m sport that has been CPO'd for much less than your negotiated price. PM me for details!

Sent from my Nexus S using Bimmer App
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-20-2013, 11:03 PM
Robert A Robert A is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,384
Mein Auto: BMW 535d
Good comments. Have no prob buying privately, but I hardly ever see 3 year old 5s, probably because most are leased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0lt3c View Post
My personal opinion, based on past experiences, is that the M sport package adds only a nominal, if any, price increase in resale. What it does help with is getting the car sold quicker, but certainly most dealers/wholesalers aren't going to give you anywhere near the premium price the option cost.

With regards to your cost of ownership calculations, it's hard to get ahead when buying directly from the dealer. Not only are they maintaining a certain level of profit on the vehicle but they are bundling in overpriced warranty and possibly maintenance expenses. The ownership math works much better if you can source one of these from a wholesale auction, or private party, then add the warranty on aftermarket, or not at all. I wouldn't pay more then $30K for a 2010 535 and I am sure your dealer didn't either.
__________________
Robert A
BMWCCA Member



Current
2014 535d, M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha Nappa
Prior
2007 530i, White/Black, 6MT
2001 530i, Orient Blue/Beige, 5MT
1994 325is, White/Black 5MT
1984 325e, White/Black 5MT
1983 318i, Delphin/Beige 4MT
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms