Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-19-2013, 06:51 AM
Gnice Gnice is offline
Registered User
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: 650i
Oil leaks help on 2006 650

Hi I'm new to this forum. I have been reading many other threads about this topic. Brought my car to the dealer to see we're it was leaking from. They told me that it was leaking from oil pressure sensor valve cover gaskets and possibly the rear main seal. They also said that its leaking from some electronic transmission sleeve . $6700.00 dealer cost. After reading all the forums I made the choice to do the work myself. Does anybody have any suggestions on a DIY for the transmission sleeve gasket? And any extra helpful hints on oil gaskets and orings?
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 01-19-2013, 09:36 AM
645/333's Avatar
645/333 645/333 is offline
Michael
Location: uk
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,161
Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
Hi! they are probably talking about the mechatronics sleeve which is fairly common, plus many suffer from cracked plastic pans, so you replace everything in order to reach the sleeve so you have to take the trans pan off, then most will change the fluid, at least 5-6 litres.
There are a number of threads with a really good DIY on the E60 forum and another on the E65. The leaks are very common across the range of BMW cars now.
__________________

Does my bum look good in this !
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-19-2013, 05:18 PM
HerbP HerbP is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,637
Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Everything you need should be in the DIY section. The Mechatronics sleeve is fairly easy, & all parts & fluid will be around 275.00. The valve cover gaskets can be purchased aftermarket, but make sure you buy quality parts. To change the valve cover gaskets, could be anywhere from 8 to 16 hours depending on your skills. This is not an exaggeration by any means.'

Welcome to the BMW world!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-20-2013, 07:05 AM
Gnice Gnice is offline
Registered User
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645/333 View Post
Hi! they are probably talking about the mechatronics sleeve which is fairly common, plus many suffer from cracked plastic pans, so you replace everything in order to reach the sleeve so you have to take the trans pan off, then most will change the fluid, at least 5-6 litres.
There are a number of threads with a really good DIY on the E60 forum and another on the E65. The leaks are very common across the range of BMW cars now.
So I should replace the pan even if there is no leaks except mechatronics sleeve ?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-20-2013, 10:56 AM
645/333's Avatar
645/333 645/333 is offline
Michael
Location: uk
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,161
Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
Personally I would change the pan as well as many of them are leaking and cracking at around 60K give or take or x years. Being plastic they do not hold up well, plus as you will have to drain the oil as well you might as well do the whole lot, once done! doubt you would have to do it again for the lifetime of ownership!!!!
I don't think I am the only person on here who would advise this to be the best course of action!
Another point just read the threads about people having leaks and see what it does to the transmission, the running of a 6 series is as much about prevention as it is doing regular maintenance......
__________________

Does my bum look good in this !

Last edited by 645/333; 01-20-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-20-2013, 01:32 PM
HerbP HerbP is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,637
Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Change all the parts & fluid, while you are at it!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-20-2013, 02:27 PM
greco2000's Avatar
greco2000 greco2000 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 581
Mein Auto: 2008 650i LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645/333 View Post
Personally I would change the pan as well as many of them are leaking and cracking at around 60K give or take or x years. Being plastic they do not hold up well, plus as you will have to drain the oil as well you might as well do the whole lot, once done! doubt you would have to do it again for the lifetime of ownership!!!!
I don't think I am the only person on here who would advise this to be the best course of action!
Another point just read the threads about people having leaks and see what it does to the transmission, the running of a 6 series is as much about prevention as it is doing regular maintenance......
Definitely do the whole tranny pan, fluid change and megatronic sleeve. Don't cheap out on this. Use OEM parts and fluid.
__________________


2008 BMW 650i Convertible- LCI.
- ACS style rear spoiler
-Eisenmann Race Exhaust, resonators removed, Magnaflow X pipe.
- LED Angel eyes, plate light and interior package
- Tinted Windows- Charcoal 20%
- Stock 19" summer wheels & 18" M6 Winter wheels
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-20-2013, 04:23 PM
Gnice Gnice is offline
Registered User
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: 650i
Thanks for all your advice... Looks like I'm changing the pan the sleeve seal and oil. Is there any thing else why I'm in there that I should change?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-20-2013, 05:46 PM
HerbP HerbP is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,637
Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
That should take care of everything.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-20-2013, 10:21 PM
07 E63650i's Avatar
07 E63650i 07 E63650i is offline
Living in Fast Forward
Location: Southern California, USA
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,132
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnice View Post
Thanks for all your advice... Looks like I'm changing the pan the sleeve seal and oil. Is there any thing else why I'm in there that I should change?
For the transmission, that should be it.
__________________
Once a 6'er, always a 6'er.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms