Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 06-16-2012, 06:50 PM
FIA's Avatar
FIA FIA is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Mid West
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 472
Mein Auto: BMW 530i
Now you're talkin...........
__________________
 photo c92dd7f4-65f8-461f-a1d5-8ae9271d9f7a_zpse0cb9c9d.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 06-17-2012, 12:25 AM
cmac2012's Avatar
cmac2012 cmac2012 is offline
Renaissance Dude
Location: Berkeley, CA
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,676
Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 403K
You know what? I get a kick out of fast cars, and years ago fast bikes. I also get a kick out a good night's sleep, or taking a nap when I want one, or hanging with friends playing music. People are hooked on noise makers in our once great land. A motorcycle is a lot like a strap on penis with volume control.

It's a dangerous seduction, IMO. Dangerous cuz it looks so good but is usually pretty empty, ultimately. You'd be better off taking every minute and $ spent on mechanized ya-yas and spending it instead on gyms, trainers, and top nutrition. There'd be a lot more struggle involved than with buying a Porsche/Lambo/you name it. Earning the funds for such toys is not w/o struggle but it's a different sort. Guys who think hot cars will get them the babes are delusional. A Ferrari will pull gold-diggers, but for pulling quality women, nothing can compete with presenting a sleek and fit bod (except perhaps being an artitistic genius which I only know about from what I read). Such a life yields rosy cheeks and sparkly eyes as well.

The obsession with the personal right to do anything that the founders didn't expressly forbid is part of what's dragging our nation into the toilet. We're in this together, in large part. Being aware of the legitamate desires of your neighbors for peace and quiet and behaving like a gentleman does not mean that some leftist police state has been installed. Do the decent thing, for Christ's sake (look - me make funny - use cliche in different twist).
__________________
cmac

Dreamers, misfits, malcontents, finding the world not to their liking, imagine themselves perfectly suited for the world as it ought to be. – anon

Last edited by cmac2012; 06-17-2012 at 12:35 AM. Reason: removed all the insults
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 06-17-2012, 02:55 PM
Cactus Cactus is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Tacoma, WA
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 323
Send a message via ICQ to Cactus
Mein Auto: 2011 X3 2.8i
^
I'll bet you yell at the neighbor kids to get off your lawn too.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 06-17-2012, 04:17 PM
SunnyandRich SunnyandRich is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southeast USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 153
Mein Auto: Bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
^
I'll bet you yell at the neighbor kids to get off your lawn too.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 06-17-2012, 04:53 PM
LalaRay's Avatar
LalaRay LalaRay is offline
Boosted
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 898
Mein Auto: 03 ///M5
This Video wasn't funny...
__________________
2003 ///M5. ~ Jet Black/ Le Mans Blue

RK Supercharged @ 501wheel horsepower
Supersprint Headers,
Evolve Alpha N Tune,
CNS lightweight dm flywheel/Spec clutch,
ST coilovers,
Eibach Rear Sway bar/Beast Power Brackets,
Drilled slotted Rotors/Akebono Euro pads,
Magnaflow 14816 Mufflers

_____________________________
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 06-18-2012, 01:25 AM
cmac2012's Avatar
cmac2012 cmac2012 is offline
Renaissance Dude
Location: Berkeley, CA
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,676
Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 403K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
^
I'll bet you yell at the neighbor kids to get off your lawn too.
That's the best you got?
__________________
cmac

Dreamers, misfits, malcontents, finding the world not to their liking, imagine themselves perfectly suited for the world as it ought to be. – anon
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 01-19-2013, 06:38 PM
Runon MD1 Runon MD1 is offline
Runon MD1
Location: Rancho Santa Fe, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 414
Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Prius driver has a meltdown

[QUOTE=rooster1986;6889665]Sounds like the truck is a desiel..

Uh...what be a desiel?

But seriously folks...the bitch comes over and starts calling the truck a piece of **** and then describes her conduct as having approached the other party courteously???

But if she had asked me what I do for a living, I would have said that I'm a photographer for asshole magazine, and I would like you to be our centerfold for next month.

The c&^* wasn't even in a parking spot, nor was she even remotely near the truck, yet was all over the couple in the truck for being inconsiderate?

What a piece of dog**** she is.

Richard
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 01-19-2013, 07:02 PM
Dave 330i's Avatar
Dave 330i Dave 330i is offline
The King of Common Sense
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 77
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Guys with angel eyes and those who have their head lights on during the day are wasting energy.
One F1 race emits more carbon gas than the entire Dakar Rally.
I'm old enough to quality to tell the kids to get off my lawn.
__________________
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. Albert Einstein

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 01-19-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 01-19-2013, 08:21 PM
Runon MD1 Runon MD1 is offline
Runon MD1
Location: Rancho Santa Fe, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 414
Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Prius owner loses it

Quote: Doesnt look like it was a overly packed parking lot so what makes her so special? Just get over self, your not jesus cause you drive a prius.

Doesn't; an overly packed; get over your self; you're not Jesus; because; Prius.

No wonder the suicide rate among teachers is so high.


Last edited by Runon MD1; 01-19-2013 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Format
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 01-19-2013, 11:12 PM
cmac2012's Avatar
cmac2012 cmac2012 is offline
Renaissance Dude
Location: Berkeley, CA
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,676
Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 403K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster1986 View Post
Sounds like the truck is a desiel..
Uh...what be a desiel?

But seriously folks...the bitch comes over and starts calling the truck a piece of **** and then describes her conduct as having approached the other party courteously???

But if she had asked me what I do for a living, I would have said that I'm a photographer for asshole magazine, and I would like you to be our centerfold for next month.

The c&^* wasn't even in a parking spot, nor was she even remotely near the truck, yet was all over the couple in the truck for being inconsiderate?

What a piece of dog**** she is.

Richard
Read the thread kind sir. The chances of the cam being on if that was the beginning of the exchange are slim. We'll never know what her first remarks were. She was close enough for the noise and fumes to be annoying. I repeat:

Yeah, turn the GDed thing off, wanker boy!
__________________
cmac

Dreamers, misfits, malcontents, finding the world not to their liking, imagine themselves perfectly suited for the world as it ought to be. – anon

Last edited by cmac2012; 01-19-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 01-20-2013, 06:26 AM
wyb's Avatar
wyb wyb is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Stepping away from the keyboard ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,963
Mein Auto: A car
Quote:
tol·er·ance
Noun

1. an quality Prius drivers *pretend* to have until some-one, or some-thing annoys them.

Synonyms
toleration - sufferance - forbearance - endurance
Quote:
suf·fer·ance
Noun

1. Absence of objection rather than genuine approval; toleration. Not found in or Prius drivers.

Synonyms
tolerance - toleration - endurance - allowance - patience
Quote:
en·dur·ance
Noun

1. The capacity of something to last: found in Prius drivers when they're running their mouths, or competing in triathlons; not found when dealing with others of a dis-similar political persuasion.

Synonyms
stamina - durability - patience - staying power
Quote:
pa·tience
Noun

1. The capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset. Not found in Prius in an measurable quantity.

Synonyms
forbearance - endurance - sufferance - solitaire

we could go on an on here..... :




( this could get very political, but I don't want to get this dragged to pol-sci... )
__________________
535i XDrive | Alpine White w/Black+Natural Leather Interior

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 01-20-2013, 11:47 AM
Runon MD1 Runon MD1 is offline
Runon MD1
Location: Rancho Santa Fe, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 414
Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Prius owner has a meltdown

To cmac2012:

It seems that you have conjured up a rather well-developed scenario as to what might have happened in order to support your position.

However, I am sure that you would agree that you really don't know what did actually transpire, though, in fairness, that is true for all of us, apart from those who were there.

All we know is that the woman approaching the truck behaved like a wild animal, while the folks in the truck were essentially restrained in their responses.
What happened before, if anything, would dictate whether the woman was or was not justified in being upset, but that is clearly another matter or separate issue.

Perhaps things would have played out differently if she had said something like, "Could I ask you to shut down your vehicle...it's creating a lot of fumes which is disturbing to me, and is also wasting fuel and causing unnecessary pollution," or something like that. Maybe she did...but maybe she just sat there and fumed, and went to DefCon 4 right away. Again, neither of us was there.

If she initially spoke quietly and reasonably up to that point, and if the truck folks responded by inviting her to perform an anatomically impossible or at best a highly improbable act, it would then be "on them," and I would agree with the Prius crowd.

By the way, I am not a total Libertarian or whatever, as I think that jerks who insist on going down the street with their boom box cars blaring to the point that the street actually vibrates should be thinned from the gene pool.

Richard
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 01-20-2013, 11:55 AM
drive by72's Avatar
drive by72 drive by72 is offline
I feed trolls
Location: Snowy Wisconsin
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,950
Mein Auto: 3 series
Doesnt matter. Since this thread I have obtained another diesel truck. Oh boy this lady would love me....
__________________

RIP Ben "Jever" Doebele, we wont forget you

Please, call me Chadley

1997 328iS... HR coilovers, Brembo F40 calipers, camber plates, it needs a CUMMINS!!

1990-somethin Chevy K3500... Cummins, cab swap, 5 speed, and lots of motor work. 20 MPG, 40 PSI, 507 ft/lbs torque
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 01-20-2013, 01:16 PM
cmac2012's Avatar
cmac2012 cmac2012 is offline
Renaissance Dude
Location: Berkeley, CA
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,676
Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 403K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post
To cmac2012:

It seems that you have conjured up a rather well-developed scenario as to what might have happened in order to support your position.

However, I am sure that you would agree that you really don't know what did actually transpire, though, in fairness, that is true for all of us, apart from those who were there.

All we know is that the woman approaching the truck behaved like a wild animal, while the folks in the truck were essentially restrained in their responses.
What happened before, if anything, would dictate whether the woman was or was not justified in being upset, but that is clearly another matter or separate issue.

Perhaps things would have played out differently if she had said something like, "Could I ask you to shut down your vehicle...it's creating a lot of fumes which is disturbing to me, and is also wasting fuel and causing unnecessary pollution," or something like that. Maybe she did...but maybe she just sat there and fumed, and went to DefCon 4 right away. Again, neither of us was there.

If she initially spoke quietly and reasonably up to that point, and if the truck folks responded by inviting her to perform an anatomically impossible or at best a highly improbable act, it would then be "on them," and I would agree with the Prius crowd.

By the way, I am not a total Libertarian or whatever, as I think that jerks who insist on going down the street with their boom box cars blaring to the point that the street actually vibrates should be thinned from the gene pool.

Richard
Of course I don't know the full series of events. Like I said, dude pulled out his cam after it got heated. Nobody is going to have their cam out and going for the first approach. It was clear to me that for the Diesel PU people having the AC going uninterrupted for their child's comfort was their foremost concern. That sort of arrogance leads me think that no matter how she approached them the first time, they were going to blow her off. It boggles the mind. A healthy child can't continue to sleep at ambient temps? Maybe a little peace and quiet would have aided the child's sleeping.

As I said earlier, I sometimes like to take a brief power nap if I'm worried about alertness at the wheel. I could easily see myself trying to nap in a parking lot and a PU show up and stay at idle, me starting to fume wondering when they were going to shut the damn thing off.

I have little patience for people who think keeping their diesel running takes precedence over all other concerns. We bow down to the IC engine enough as it is. The woman was an ass but I'd have been pissed as well and I don't drive a Prius.
__________________
cmac

Dreamers, misfits, malcontents, finding the world not to their liking, imagine themselves perfectly suited for the world as it ought to be. – anon

Last edited by cmac2012; 01-20-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 01-20-2013, 03:11 PM
FIA's Avatar
FIA FIA is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Mid West
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 472
Mein Auto: BMW 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post
Of course I don't know the full series of events. Like I said, dude pulled out his cam after it got heated. Nobody is going to have their cam out and going for the first approach. It was clear to me that for the Diesel PU people having the AC going uninterrupted for their child's comfort was their foremost concern. That sort of arrogance leads me think that no matter how she approached them the first time, they were going to blow her off. It boggles the mind. A healthy child can't continue to sleep at ambient temps? Maybe a little peace and quiet would have aided the child's sleeping.

As I said earlier, I sometimes like to take a brief power nap if I'm worried about alertness at the wheel. I could easily see myself trying to nap in a parking lot and a PU show up and stay at idle, me starting to fume wondering when they were going to shut the damn thing off.

I have little patience for people who think keeping their diesel running takes precedence over all other concerns. We bow down to the IC engine enough as it is. The woman was an ass but I'd have been pissed as well and I don't drive a Prius.

The Prius driver was obviously one of those arrogant egotistical elitist wacko environmentalists who look down their sanctimonious noses at anyone who doesn't conform to their idealistic utopian view of the word.

This fanatical Kaczynski like defense you've conjured up is ridiculous on it's face. She confronted the truck owner in an aggressive manner not defensive as would be the case if he had somehow insulted her first.

My right to keep my diesel running is infinitely more important that your ability to sleep. That's what a bed is for.
__________________
 photo c92dd7f4-65f8-461f-a1d5-8ae9271d9f7a_zpse0cb9c9d.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 01-20-2013, 03:18 PM
drive by72's Avatar
drive by72 drive by72 is offline
I feed trolls
Location: Snowy Wisconsin
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,950
Mein Auto: 3 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIA View Post
My right to keep my diesel running is infinitely more important that your ability to sleep. That's what a bed is for.
+1

You are not entitled to the right to sleep in a public parking lot. You are entitled to idle your vehicle though. The fact that it is diesel is irrelevant. This isnt a Cat 3116 idling, its an LBZ/LMM duramax. Not particularly loud... unless youre a prius driver used to hearing no engine
__________________

RIP Ben "Jever" Doebele, we wont forget you

Please, call me Chadley

1997 328iS... HR coilovers, Brembo F40 calipers, camber plates, it needs a CUMMINS!!

1990-somethin Chevy K3500... Cummins, cab swap, 5 speed, and lots of motor work. 20 MPG, 40 PSI, 507 ft/lbs torque

Last edited by drive by72; 01-20-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 01-20-2013, 03:34 PM
cmac2012's Avatar
cmac2012 cmac2012 is offline
Renaissance Dude
Location: Berkeley, CA
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,676
Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 403K
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive by72 View Post
You are not entitled to the right to sleep in a public parking lot.
Oh really? You got a legal statute backing that up?

Un-bleeping-believable. You guys ought to get a room. How would you feel if someone you loved were killed by a driver falling asleep at the wheel? Mightn't you wonder if that person had had an ounce of sense they would have found a parking lot and taken a brief nap? I'm often amazed at how much difference a ten minute nap makes. If I get one of those 'beginning to nod off' feelings when driving I don't hesitate. I get off the freeway, recline the seat and take a nap. Damn it feels good. Waaaaaay better than that feeling of fighting to stay awake while driving.

And who knows what the lady was doing in the parking lot. Maybe her son had an appointment at the doctor nearby and they were early. It is of course unclear what happened. Maybe she was an ass from the git go maybe she wasn't. Still the borderline perverted love affair that diesel PU owners have with their GDed sanctified engines is a trip. Get over yourselves people. We listen to our engines for long enough out of the day on the highway. Uno mass, por favor:


Yeah, turn the GDed thing off, wanker boy!
__________________
cmac

Dreamers, misfits, malcontents, finding the world not to their liking, imagine themselves perfectly suited for the world as it ought to be. – anon

Last edited by cmac2012; 01-20-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 01-20-2013, 03:39 PM
wyb's Avatar
wyb wyb is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Stepping away from the keyboard ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,963
Mein Auto: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post
Un-bleeping-believable. You guys ought to get a room. How would you feel if someone you loved were killed by a driver falling asleep at the wheel? Mightn't you wonder if that person had had an ounce of sense they would have found a parking lot and taken a brief nap? I'm often amazed at how much difference a ten minute nap makes. If I get one of those 'beginning to nod off' feelings when driving I don't hesitate. I get off the freeway, recline the seat and take a nap. Damn it feels good. Waaaaaay better than that feeling of fighting to stay awake while driving.

And who knows what the lady was doing in the parking lot. Maybe her son had an appointment at the doctor nearby and they were early. It is of course unclear what happened. Maybe she was an ass from the git go maybe she wasn't. Still the borderline perverted love affair that diesel PU owners have with their GDed sanctified engines is a trip. Get over yourselves people. We listen to our engines for long enough out of the day on the highway. Uno mass, por favor:


Yeah, turn the GDed thing off, wanker boy!
seems like anger issues when it gets into hurling names ...
__________________
535i XDrive | Alpine White w/Black+Natural Leather Interior

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 01-20-2013, 03:41 PM
cmac2012's Avatar
cmac2012 cmac2012 is offline
Renaissance Dude
Location: Berkeley, CA
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,676
Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 403K
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
seems like anger issues when it gets into hurling names ...
Yeah. The guy and his wife in the vid make me significantly more angry than the obnoxious Prius lady. Lard butted fools driving some large working stiff rig for status points gives me a pain. I'm a real working man.

So sue me.
__________________
cmac

Dreamers, misfits, malcontents, finding the world not to their liking, imagine themselves perfectly suited for the world as it ought to be. – anon
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 01-20-2013, 03:59 PM
wyb's Avatar
wyb wyb is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Stepping away from the keyboard ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,963
Mein Auto: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post
Yeah. The guy and his wife in the vid make me significantly more angry than the obnoxious Prius lady. Lard butted fools driving some large working stiff rig for status points gives me a pain. I'm a real working man.

So sue me.
I don't think you listened to the video - the driver said they have horses. You need to listen and comprehend before you get all high and mighty about being a "real working man".

Besides which, wgas who has "more right" to drive a diesel pickup... have you listened to yourself? It seems like a reallllllly absurd argument cmac.
__________________
535i XDrive | Alpine White w/Black+Natural Leather Interior

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 01-20-2013, 04:36 PM
FIA's Avatar
FIA FIA is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Mid West
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 472
Mein Auto: BMW 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post

And who knows what the lady was doing in the parking lot.
Probably selling crack and thought the guy in the truck was trying to muscle in on her territory.
__________________
 photo c92dd7f4-65f8-461f-a1d5-8ae9271d9f7a_zpse0cb9c9d.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 01-20-2013, 04:42 PM
FIA's Avatar
FIA FIA is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Mid West
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 472
Mein Auto: BMW 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post
Yeah. The guy and his wife in the vid make me significantly more angry than the obnoxious Prius lady. Lard butted fools driving some large working stiff rig for status points gives me a pain. I'm a real working man.

So sue me.

No one makes you angry, you chose to be angry. You're responsible for your own feelings.
__________________
 photo c92dd7f4-65f8-461f-a1d5-8ae9271d9f7a_zpse0cb9c9d.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 01-20-2013, 04:45 PM
drive by72's Avatar
drive by72 drive by72 is offline
I feed trolls
Location: Snowy Wisconsin
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,950
Mein Auto: 3 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post
Oh really? You got a legal statute backing that up?

Un-bleeping-believable. You guys ought to get a room. How would you feel if someone you loved were killed by a driver falling asleep at the wheel? Mightn't you wonder if that person had had an ounce of sense they would have found a parking lot and taken a brief nap? I'm often amazed at how much difference a ten minute nap makes. If I get one of those 'beginning to nod off' feelings when driving I don't hesitate. I get off the freeway, recline the seat and take a nap. Damn it feels good. Waaaaaay better than that feeling of fighting to stay awake while driving.

And who knows what the lady was doing in the parking lot. Maybe her son had an appointment at the doctor nearby and they were early. It is of course unclear what happened. Maybe she was an ass from the git go maybe she wasn't. Still the borderline perverted love affair that diesel PU owners have with their GDed sanctified engines is a trip. Get over yourselves people. We listen to our engines for long enough out of the day on the highway. Uno mass, por favor:


Yeah, turn the GDed thing off, wanker boy!


The only guaranteed rights you have are in the constitution. Show me a law that says no idling of a diesel engine in a public parking lot in the daytime...

Good luck with that.

I dont see a connection to how I would feel if a relative was killed by a sleeping driver and this video. I know what a 10 minute nap makes. I've driven 18 hours straight through with naps every 4-5 hours. I didnt go to truck stops though, because I knew there would be idling diesel engines. Whats next, you're gonna say no to that too?

I'm not one to cause road rage, nor am I the first to make a confrontation. But I usually end the confrontation. In this case, had I been the diesel truck driver, I would have been polite and said go mind your own business for the first time. After that I would have backed up to her Prius, locked my doors and let the coal fricken roll, then leave. You wanna be a bitch to me? Fine. Dont be pissed when I'm a dlck to you then
__________________

RIP Ben "Jever" Doebele, we wont forget you

Please, call me Chadley

1997 328iS... HR coilovers, Brembo F40 calipers, camber plates, it needs a CUMMINS!!

1990-somethin Chevy K3500... Cummins, cab swap, 5 speed, and lots of motor work. 20 MPG, 40 PSI, 507 ft/lbs torque
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 01-20-2013, 05:15 PM
cmac2012's Avatar
cmac2012 cmac2012 is offline
Renaissance Dude
Location: Berkeley, CA
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,676
Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 403K
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive by72 View Post
The only guaranteed rights you have are in the constitution. Show me a law that says no idling of a diesel engine in a public parking lot in the daytime...

Good luck with that.

I dont see a connection to how I would feel if a relative was killed by a sleeping driver and this video. I know what a 10 minute nap makes. I've driven 18 hours straight through with naps every 4-5 hours. I didnt go to truck stops though, because I knew there would be idling diesel engines. Whats next, you're gonna say no to that too?

I'm not one to cause road rage, nor am I the first to make a confrontation. But I usually end the confrontation. In this case, had I been the diesel truck driver, I would have been polite and said go mind your own business for the first time. After that I would have backed up to her Prius, locked my doors and let the coal fricken roll, then leave. You wanna be a bitch to me? Fine. Dont be pissed when I'm a dlck to you then
Oh jeez. So the constitution guarantees you the right to idle your engine whenever you feel like it? This is not a matter of law, it's a matter of common decency.

You said 'no right to a nap in a parking lot.' What nonsense. It's not a matter of right, it's a matter of common sense. I'd much rather a driver take a nap than drive while sleepy. Can be as bad as driving drunk. This incident didn't take place at a truck stop.

The lady stated that she asked politely and they laughed at her. Who knows, but wouldn't surprise me. Their daughter has allergies and needs to sleep in a space with AC powered by a diesel with hundreds of foot pounds of torque? Oh please. We are WAY too in love with our vehicles in this land. They are a tool, not a lover. The guy's printed remarks in the vid make it clear that he's among the ranks of self-infatuated diesel geeks. I own two BTW, a Mercedes 300SD and a Grumman with a 6.2 GM.

Telling her to mind her own business would be polite?!? It WAS her business. Being polite would have been going somewhere else or turning off the engine.
__________________
cmac

Dreamers, misfits, malcontents, finding the world not to their liking, imagine themselves perfectly suited for the world as it ought to be. – anon

Last edited by cmac2012; 01-20-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 01-20-2013, 05:20 PM
cmac2012's Avatar
cmac2012 cmac2012 is offline
Renaissance Dude
Location: Berkeley, CA
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,676
Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 403K
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
I don't think you listened to the video - the driver said they have horses. You need to listen and comprehend before you get all high and mighty about being a "real working man".

Besides which, wgas who has "more right" to drive a diesel pickup... have you listened to yourself? It seems like a reallllllly absurd argument cmac.
Yeah, I heard about the horses. So he has horses and therefore can't turn his diesel off. More wear and tear on the engine and batteries.

I've been at fairs up the hills, trying to sleep in my tent only to have some fool turn on his engine and idle it for a half hour or more cuz he's like cold and stuff. Holy crap, one of my few chances to sleep in the incredible quiet of the back country and some nimrod has to idle his engine. I'm not talking diesel, just an average gas auto and the noise is like getting crapped on. I don't hesitate any more. I tell them to shut it off or take it a few miles away from where people are camping and I've not been ignored yet.
__________________
cmac

Dreamers, misfits, malcontents, finding the world not to their liking, imagine themselves perfectly suited for the world as it ought to be. – anon
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms