Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:43 PM

Mein Auto: BMW M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
PM sent.
Anyway Shawn, from another thread i saw that you did change the sport auto shifter. Does changing the shifter alone affect the way how the transmission shifts? Or is it just the s1 - s7 coding that affect the gear changes?
I am really interested on doing the paddle shift retrofit as well. And do you have any idea on how doable it is to do that? Is it as simple as running cables from the shifter to the paddles on the steering or is it something much more complicated involved?

Ps: Sat shifters and sport steering wih paddles are not my concern anymore.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: MINI R56S LCI, F10 520D
Quote:
Actually, that code was discovered by my Korean brother, mongsiri. All credit goes to him.

D1-D8 to go along with S1-S7 would be nice, but I did not see anything in EGS for that. Although since my car seldom operates in that girly mode, I admittedly did not give searching for that code its due diligence.
Hello Shawn,

Your posts on Bimmerfest.com and Bwmcoding.com are always very helpfule to me..
For example, http://www.bmwcoding.com/showthread....h-to-icm/page2

I'm the member of BMW F serise club in Korea and I firstly introduced e-sys coding to F club.

I found this this value for S1~8 display on 20. July, 2011
http://cafe.naver.com/5series/67991 (Sorry, You need registration to read the posting in Korea)

I think, 'mongsiri' is one of F club member.

Thank you again!!

Last edited by Donghoi, Kim; 02-18-2013 at 06:46 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donghoi, Kim View Post
Hello Shawn,

Your posts on Bimmerfest.com and Bwmcoding.com are always very helpfule to me..
For example, http://www.bmwcoding.com/showthread....h-to-icm/page2

I'm the member of BMW F serise club in Korea and I firstly introduced e-sys coding to F club.

I found this this value for S1~8 display on 20. July, 2011
http://cafe.naver.com/5series/67991 (Sorry, You need registration to read the posting in Korea)

I think, 'mongsiri' is one of F club member.

Thank you again!!
Well tell mongsiri I said hello. I haven't heard anything from him in a while.

And if you get to Okku-Silver Town, give all the girls my best.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 02-21-2013, 05:04 AM

Mein Auto: F10 520d
Only Sportschalter_alt needed on my 520d 4/2011 to make it work. I don't have sports trans nor M options..cool find.

F10 520d born 11.04.2011 Deep Sea Blue

205, 230, 322, 403, 415, 423, 428, 430, 431, 459, 464, 465, 494, 502, 508, 522, 524, 534, 548, 609, 614, 615, 620, 644, 654, 676, 698, 851, 879, 962, 1CA, 1CB, 1CD, 2K1, 2PA, 3AG, 4AT, 4UR, 5AC, 6AA, 6AB, 6FL, 6NF, 6NR, 6VC, 8KA, 8TF, 8TL, 8TN, 8V1
Old 03-26-2013, 10:20 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i
Quote:
Well, that is rather interesting. On my M-Sport, Sportschalter by default was nicht_aktiv, and when I changed it to aktiv, it did nothing. I changed it back to nicht_akt, and then changed Sportschalter_alt to aktiv, and got S1-S7. So, Sportschalter by itself did nothing, and Sportschalter_alt by itself gave me S1-S7.

I thought maybe then based on what you experienced that Sportschalter got it to the Sport / M-Sport equivalent, then Sportschalter_alt brought it to SAT. The problem with that though is I would have expected Sportschalter to default to aktiv on cars with Sport / M-Sport, but that isn't the case. So, this doesn't make much sense.

We need to test a few more non Sport Cars and Sport / M-Sport cars, and see if this behavior is at least consistent, where both are needed for non Sport, and only Sportschalter_alt is needed for Sport / M-Sport cars.
I changed only one settings on my F30 328i.
I have only automatic 205 in gearbox.
EGS / 3000 Applikation
Sportschalter_alt = nicht_aktiv
Sportschalter = aktiv
Now it (S1-S7) works, but I do not know whether it's right or not?
Old 03-26-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex68 View Post
I changed only one settings on my F30 328i.
I have only automatic 205 in gearbox.
EGS / 3000 Applikation
Sportschalter = aktiv
Now it (S1-S7) works, but I do not know whether it's right or not?
If it is working, it is right. Some have to change only one, and other have to change both.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 03-26-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
If it is working, it is right. Some have to change only one, and other have to change both.
Thanks a lot Shawn
Old 04-24-2013, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i xdrive
code an 2013 535i today, had to change both Sportschalter_alt and Sportschalter to aktiv / Werte=01
Old 04-24-2013, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535i MSport
I checked my '12 M sport and both of these are enabled by default. I do have the SAT option w/ the paddle shifters. Not sure if that helps w/ whether to activate both or not.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:03 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328xi
To anyone who is interested in coding this on a F30 (I have a sport line non M), the result sort of changes how sports mode is entered and how it behaves; I have modified as

Sportschalter = aktiv

or both active and I could not tell any difference, with just sportschalter active you will be able to see S1-7. Before the modification, with both not active, DS is displayed in sports mode and if you tab the control lever left or return it to normal position, sports mode or comfortable mode is selected automatically. After the coding, with either with just Sportschalter active or both active, taping the lever to the left or normal position does not automatically select sport mode or comfort mode, instead, it will active the S1-7 display and put transmission (and transmission only) in sports mode. And after you manually select the mode through buttons to the left of the lever, the rest of the car goes into sport mode. (steering, accelerator etc. ) Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: 118i F20 sport 8AT
So, I've been meaning to retrofit paddles to my car (F20 118i with 205 8AT), and although I haven't purchased the new steering wheel just yet, I wanted to get the coding part done already, as I thought that would get me at least the 2TB behavior of the gearbox (i.e. faster shifting, kickdown override and no auto upshift at the rev limiter on manual mode when in sport+ or DTC off, and S1-S7 display).

So I changed my car's VO (205 to 2TB) and coded the entire SVT tree and curiously I got none of the things I was expecting! Gearbox still behaves exactly like before - similar shifting, still has kickdown and auto upshift in manual mode on sport+ or DTC off, and only displays DS instead of S1-S7.

I thought that maybe the VO coding didn't stick, so I tried doing it again, and the gearbox remained the same. So I went on checking individual parameters to see wether or not coding had done any alterations.

So as of now, my car's VO says 2TB, under ICM, IcmKod_B_S2TBA is now verbaut, IcmKod_B_S205A is now nicht_verbaut, so that's what it's supposed to be. Under EGS, Sportschalter_alt AND Sportschalter were now set to aktiv / Werte=01, so they're right as well.

Under Kombi, however, SPA_Sport_Enable and SPA_Enable were set to nicht_aktiv. So I tried changing them to aktiv, but all that did was remove the gear indicator altogether! The cluster would no longer show anything where the gear indicator was supposed to be (i.e. not even D, N, R, DS or M1-M8). So I had to change them back to nicht_aktiv.

I don't know what else to look for... Anyway, does anyone have a clue on what I might be doing wrong? It would be nice at least to be able to have the car show S1-S7 instead of DS.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpagianotto View Post
So, I've been meaning to retrofit paddles to my car (F20 118i with 205 8AT), and although I haven't purchased the new steering wheel just yet, I wanted to get the coding part done already, as I thought that would get me at least the 2TB behavior of the gearbox (i.e. faster shifting, kickdown override and no auto upshift at the rev limiter on manual mode when in sport+ or DTC off, and S1-S7 display).

So I changed my car's VO (205 to 2TB) and coded the entire SVT tree and curiously I got none of the things I was expecting! Gearbox still behaves exactly like before - similar shifting, still has kickdown and auto upshift in manual mode on sport+ or DTC off, and only displays DS instead of S1-S7.

I thought that maybe the VO coding didn't stick, so I tried doing it again, and the gearbox remained the same. So I went on checking individual parameters to see wether or not coding had done any alterations.

So as of now, my car's VO says 2TB, under ICM, IcmKod_B_S2TBA is now verbaut, IcmKod_B_S205A is now nicht_verbaut, so that's what it's supposed to be. Under EGS, Sportschalter_alt AND Sportschalter were now set to aktiv / Werte=01, so they're right as well.

Under Kombi, however, SPA_Sport_Enable and SPA_Enable were set to nicht_aktiv. So I tried changing them to aktiv, but all that did was remove the gear indicator altogether! The cluster would no longer show anything where the gear indicator was supposed to be (i.e. not even D, N, R, DS or M1-M8). So I had to change them back to nicht_aktiv.

I don't know what else to look for... Anyway, does anyone have a clue on what I might be doing wrong? It would be nice at least to be able to have the car show S1-S7 instead of DS.
Makes no sense...

Old 07-10-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:

Gearbox in your car hasn't 2TB option in accordance with BMW configurator. I think that is not possible on your auto.

Last edited by Alex68; 07-10-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: 118i F20 sport 8AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex68 View Post
Gearbox in your car hasn't 2TB option in accordance with BMW configurator. I think that is not possible on your auto.
I though about that, but isn't it weird that my car accepts VO coding to change 205 to 2TB without any errors?
Moreover, people have been able to retrofit paddles to the f20, and as far as I know, it isn't possible to get paddles with the regular 205 auto, and they only work if you alter the VO to 2TB.
And hardware-wise, the gearbox is the same, and the VO coding actually did alter some parameters...
Old 07-10-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I though about that, but isn't it weird that my car accepts VO coding to change 205 to 2TB without any errors?
Moreover, people have been able to retrofit paddles to the f20, and as far as I know, it isn't possible to get paddles with the regular 205 auto, and they only work if you alter the VO to 2TB.
And hardware-wise, the gearbox is the same, and the VO coding actually did alter some parameters...
You have too much faith in E-Sys VO Editor and Calculate FP. It will allow invalid option codes and calculate FP with no problem, and let you VO Code the car making the FDL changes, albeit all for naught.

I tested it once on my F10, and added 552 LED Headlights from the 6 Series, and FP would calculate, even though 552 is not available on the 5 series chassis. More surprising though, it allowed 552 LED Headlights simultaneously with 522 Xenon Headlights, even though a car could have only one or the other.

Alex68 made a good point that I did not catch last night. You have a F20 118i. Option 2TB is not allowed for 118i and 120d, only 135i and 135d. So, adding it and coding it does nothing.

As for people retrofitting paddles, this is possible as option 2XA Paddle Shift Wheels are available with 205 Transmission, or for 135i and 135d, 7XA as an option:

2XA: Sport Steering Wheel with paddles
7XA: M Steering Wheel with paddles

So, you can have Paddle Shifters without SAT.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: f30
Quote:
Makes no sense...
I think this is an N13 engine issue as mine...non of models with N13 are not allowed with 2TB....
I changed both shalter options(didn't code 2TB to FA)....I've got M1-M8 nothing else has happened.

Last edited by milest; 01-28-2014 at 05:22 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:28 AM

Mein Auto: '13 535 GT
I couldn't get this to work with a couple combinations

Default on my F07 2013 was

Sportschalter_alt= nicht_atv / Werte=00
Sportschalter= nicht_atv / Werte=00

I tried
Sportschalter_alt= aktiv / Werte=01
Sportschalter= nicht_atv / Werte=00

Sportschalter_alt= anicht_atv / Werte=00
Sportschalter= aktiv / Werte=01

and

Sportschalter_alt= aktiv / Werte=01
Sportschalter= aktiv / Werte=01

No joy.
2006 Infiniti FX 35 - Retired
2002 330i - Retired

Last edited by naa3e5; 02-22-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:05 AM

Mein Auto: 116
I am having the same issues as rpagianotto. Having done everything. Appreciate more inputs. Thanks. Mine is the 8 speed auto 116.

Quote:

Old 06-12-2014, 07:30 AM

Is FEM_BODY => PADDLES_VERBAUT = aktiv set?

Old 06-13-2014, 05:08 AM

I don't have paddles, just want to turn on SAT and DS display. Anyway I will try it out later and feedback. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:18 AM

Just checked. FEM_BODY => PADDLES_VERBAUT is aktiv set. no joy.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:09 AM

Instead of 2TB, try using 2XA, Sport leath.s.wheel+shift padd.+multif., and VO Code all modules in SVT except DME / DDE.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:44 AM

to turn on SAT? ok will try.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:50 AM

Yes, give it a try.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:51 AM

Hi Shawn, I tried 2XA, when Calculate FP there is an error.Will not go through.