Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 550i ///M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
You have to transfer using the USB port in the glovebox, not the one in the center box.
A few quirks I am noticing AFTER reading the manual (I didn't say I absorbed it all):

- how do you advance to the next track via steering wheel when listening to iPhone (streaming or connected)? Using the up and down arrow only start the song back over again.
- when using google maps for navigation, the speaking part of google actually dials a call from my ph# long enough to tell me the next spoken direction. Is that normal?

There are a couple more but this is all I can think of right now. Appreciate the help.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:46 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by yahtzee5 View Post
A few quirks I am noticing AFTER reading the manual (I didn't say I absorbed it all):

- how do you advance to the next track via steering wheel when listening to iPhone (streaming or connected)? Using the up and down arrow only start the song back over again.
This is weird. It works for me. Pressing "up" restarts the track. Pressing "down" advances to next one. Same way on both my Galaxy S3 and iPhone 5

Quote:
- when using google maps for navigation, the speaking part of google actually dials a call from my ph# long enough to tell me the next spoken direction. Is that normal?
Weird. I usually am streaming via BT Audio from my Galaxy S3 or iPhone5. I have Google Maps navigation running, while streaming Spotify or Pandora. It pauses the music and the commands come. It never dials a # for me
Old 01-09-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
This is weird. It works for me. Pressing "up" restarts the track. Pressing "down" advances to next one. Same way on both my Galaxy S3 and iPhone 5

Weird. I usually am streaming via BT Audio from my Galaxy S3 or iPhone5. I have Google Maps navigation running, while streaming Spotify or Pandora. It pauses the music and the commands come. It never dials a # for me
Ha! Never tried down. Wasn't like that in my 550. You would think it would stay consistent. Thanks.

One other thing- I know the integrated phone piece isn't avail for an iPhone 5 but shouldn't it have come with something to plug an 4/4s up to under the armrest?
Old 01-09-2013, 04:51 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Ha! Never tried down. Wasn't like that in my 550. You would think it would stay consistent. Thanks.
That's the newer generation system with the wheels and stuff.

Quote:
One other thing- I know the integrated phone piece isn't avail for an iPhone 5 but shouldn't it have come with something to plug an 4/4s up to under the armrest?
I think the iPhone dock was an optional extra. You actually don't even need it. Apps are supposed to work with your white cable. Can't confirm because I missed ordering BMW Apps by a week
Old 01-09-2013, 04:51 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 50i M Performance
Quote:

Nope. You buy the snap in adapters separately. Not sure that offers any great advantage over the USB cable. In fact, I'd just as soon figure out a way to remove the whole cradle and improve access to the passenger side storage.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
That's the newer generation system with the wheels and stuff.

I think the iPhone dock was an optional extra. You actually don't even need it. Apps are supposed to work with your white cable. Can't confirm because I missed ordering BMW Apps by a week
White cable plugged into armrest? For BMW Apps, too? I was trying it streaming and that didnt appear to work. Thought it was working because there was a "-2" on the nav screen. Assumed it was email but couldn't get to them.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: TBA
Allow me to dedicate my first post to the beautiful gallery.

Great color combo, beautiful ride, and photography! Really enjoyed the eye candy.
Feeling a bit nostalgic since my Nova days... (i lived in Tyson's corner for a good part of 4 years.)

Last edited by L-tuned; 01-09-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:18 PM

Mein Auto: '13 X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by safelder View Post
Nope. You buy the snap in adapters separately. Not sure that offers any great advantage over the USB cable. In fact, I'd just as soon figure out a way to remove the whole cradle and improve access to the passenger side storage.
I too would like to remove this cradle as it is worthless. The white iPhone cable works for playing your Music collection with Album art, Pandora, etc. I have not used the Office functions for email, texts, facebook though.

If anyone has experience on how to remove the cradle please share.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
Quote:
I spent today detailing it from the ground up. Zaino wash, Zaino clay bar and two coats of Zaino polish.
Look into Duragloss 105. Its the same as Zaino but with less steps.

Also the ultimate protection is cquartz, if you are comfortable doing that.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:20 AM

Quote:
White cable plugged into armrest? For BMW Apps, too? I was trying it streaming and that didnt appear to work. Thought it was working because there was a "-2" on the nav screen. Assumed it was email but couldn't get to them.
White cable works for apps too. The "-2" appears for me too when I'm BT streaming. I've concluded it's a track counter. Plugging in will disable BT audio.

BTW, weird thing on apps: if you open BMW Connected, you only get web radio. To get Pandora, you have to open the Pandora app. But it has great functionality. It will show up under "Radio," whereas a BT external device shows up under "Media."
Old 01-10-2013, 05:25 AM
2 Bimmers R better than 1

Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
bluetooth phone audio

******Have any of you had a phone call come in, shows up on the screen u hit the phone icon on the steering wheel to connect the call and the call is only on your acual phone. not connected through bluetooth/speakers.

i then have to hit on my phone the icon for bluetooth and it will then come out the speakers!
Almost like its loosing connection w bluetooth when the call is coming in?

a bit pointless because i have to grab my phone and look down at it.

Sounds like just a connection issue, because this doesnt happen in my 12 535

I have an IPHONE 4s

Anyone ......

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps

Last edited by 5seriesHB; 01-10-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:58 AM

I've got no issue with Bluetooth calls coming in correctly. The first time I got a call waiting call, it didnt even ring, which is consistent with the comparability chart on the BMW website. Since I looked that up, however, call waiting has been working fine. Better than my Audi, in fact. If you tried to use the MMI to answer the call waiting call, it would disconnect both parties. Idrive works fine to switch back and forth.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
For any Bluetooth phone to work in my car, I have to disable PBAB in the Bluetooth application on the phone or else it would not pair, this started out of nowhere, even have a new phone, same issue, I have no clue why everything was fine for the past year.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:50 PM

Mein Auto: 13 Cayenne GTS, 13 535 M
Quote:
I picked it up yesterday from Sterling BMW in Northern VA. I don't typically leave dealer frames/emblems on my cars but they were exceptionally easy to work with so I'm giving them some love (ask for Danny Saboor).

Here are the specs:
  • Alpine White
  • Cinnamon Brown interior
  • Cold Weather package
  • M-Sport package
  • Premium package
  • Premium Sound
  • Technology package
  • 20" double spoke 333 M wheels
  • Multi-Contour seats
  • Active Steering
  • BMW Apps

I spent today detailing it from the ground up. Zaino wash, Zaino clay bar and two coats of Zaino polish. The wheels are actually not that bad to clean...hands get into pretty much every spot. I also hardwired my BEL sTI Magnum radar detector to the sunroof wire below the console. It's much easier to pop off and get to than previous cars so didn't take long to do. I am using double sided tape this time because suction cups......suck.

The best way to sum up this car after owning 3 BMW's (08 535i, 08 M3 and 08 550i) is this one feels and sounds like I am driving a 4WD M3 with 5-series build sounds (shutting doors, etc). Active steering is almost to soft (not a bad thing) at low speeds. It's very fast, very comfortable and an amazingly built automobile. BMW continues to impress me with their build quality. The tires have probably gotten more comments than anything (although the engine/exhaust has turned many heads since yesterday). One of my buddies said that the rear tires look like they are about to touch each other.

Gas mileage appears to be similar to my 550...I got 23mpg on the way home from NoVa yesterday but that dropped quite a bit around town today to around 16...I'll take it.

48 hrs in I am very happy with my X5. My wife isn't convinced I will like an SUV vs. a car based on my history but this car appears to have changed my stance on that....

One last thing - if it weren't my car it would be so fun to take this out into a field and just tear it up. More Zaino, please.

Check out my pics here - BMW X5 - Down by the River

Appreciate everyone's help on bimmerfest.
Hi Yahetzz5:
you got 23 MPG on your X5 5.0?? also your 545i??? how you do that? you got those numbers from the navi computer??? that's not accurate at all. I usually rest my trip odometer when I fill gas and calculate manually. my 13 535 with M package only 18 MPG my friend's X5 4.8 returned 12MPG to 14MPG.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawninglawrence View Post
Hi Yahetzz5:
you got 23 MPG on your X5 5.0?? also your 545i??? how you do that? you got those numbers from the navi computer??? that's not accurate at all. I usually rest my trip odometer when I fill gas and calculate manually. my 13 535 with M package only 18 MPG my friend's X5 4.8 returned 12MPG to 14MPG.
Yes, it is accurate. I paid specific attention to the mpg bar as well as my foot for the drive home...I have found that interstate driving (especially relatively flat interstate driving) will allow for this type of mileage. It's on the extreme high end of what this car gets but it is possible.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:26 AM

Yahtzee5
: what's ur average since that 23mpg on the highway and bringing the car home?
I'm averaging about 11 to 12
But I'm not exactly feathering it. Lol
Ill be honest to get that mpg up in the 14's I literally have to haven toe touching the excelerator
Very difficult to do!

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Old 01-20-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesHB View Post
Yahtzee5
Ill be honest to get that mpg up in the 14's I literally have to haven toe touching the excelerator
Very difficult to do!
I averaged 19 on the way home from a trip today. Around the city has been 15 or so.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:12 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesHB View Post
Yahtzee5
Very difficult to do!
I've been averaging better than 16+ in my X5M.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 01-20-2013, 04:23 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi
Very cool and great pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
I've been averaging better than 16+ in my X5M.
Wow. Over the last week I barely got 15 in my 50 M sport. Traffic in DC was a mess, leading to some long commutes...maybe I should have gotten the M after all.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:17 PM

Mein Auto: '13 X5 50i
Nice ride and great pics! I am at 1,300 miles and have average 14.7 without resetting. This is better than my 2010 48i that averaged 14.2 over 47k. Now that I am past the break in period I am sure this will go down!
Old 01-20-2013, 06:18 PM

Talking

I think any of u guys averaging over 12mpg are driving like gramps!
especially the guy in the M 16+...u better not be averaging 16 when u get to europe next month! 10's max
this statement should sit well with the masses! LOL

Last edited by 5seriesHB; 01-20-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0i
Nice pics!
I also like how you have Cake playing in the gallery of pics

former:
2004 BMW X3 3.0i (Mystic Blue Metallic)
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT (Galaxy Silver Metallic)
Old 02-12-2013, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 750ix
Did you also get the M Performance Upgrade? Driving impressions?
Thanks
Old 02-12-2013, 02:50 PM

Mein Auto: F350 Diesel 2011
Wow !!! Great Photography !! Great Car too !