Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 04-21-2011, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: E39 M5
Steering Wheel Swap (E39)

Hello all,

Just wanted to share some pics I snapped of when we swapped out my old steering wheel with a custom one...and guide y'all thru the swapping process.

BEFORE YOU START : Adjust your steering wheel so it comes out towards you fully. Make sure your car is turned off and you do not turn on the car on once the airbag is out. Otherwise you may trigger the Airbag/SRS light!! You have been warned.

First tool you'll need a T30 Torx screwdriver like this one.

There are two T30 torx screws holding the airbag to the steering wheel. One on each side.

Once you have loosened the screws, the airbag should pop right out...but be careful of the wires coming out of it...

Go ahead and unplug the 2 wires...and remove the airbag.

Next, you'll need a 16mm socket to remove the steering wheel.

The bolt is on quite tight from the factory, put some elbow grease into it.

Good chance to clean up the mess left behind here while the steering wheel is off.

With the steering wheel removed, you'll have to swap over your steering wheel controls...this part is a bit tricky. You'll want to use some plastic prying tools like the ones you see here....just take your time...and be CAREFUL.

Here you can see the backside of one of the steering wheel control units...notice the plastic tabs...this is how they secure onto the steering wheel...if you use too much force, you may snap these brittle plastic tabs.

Once you have gotten the units out, time to swap them into your new steering wheel. Go ahead and plug back in the wires.

This step is real important when you snap back in the right side unit, make sure you have one of the wires route behind the plastic housing...as you see here.

Now go ahead and snap your steering wheel back into the column. Make sure you line up the two lines as pictured below...

Screw it back in ....

And voila!

For more info on how to obtain one of these custom steering wheels, feel free to PM or email me.
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2011, 06:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 530, 02 530
Thanks for a job well done.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:07 PM
CPR ..

Mein Auto: ..
Wow thanks for spending the time to post this. Ive been thinking of changing my old sport steering wheel soon.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i 5speed
what's that thing next to your steering wheel in the last pic? is it a cell phone holder? If so, what phone?
Old 05-17-2011, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: E39 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonesoui View Post
what's that thing next to your steering wheel in the last pic? is it a cell phone holder? If so, what phone?
Custom poor mans iphone mount...see below link for more info

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...-solution.html
Old 01-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Supercharged 2003 M5
Ill be doing this very soon! great write up. I like the GTR in the background!!
Old 01-20-2013, 10:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 540i ///MSport
That steering wheel looks great mmzcee! I just got one that was re-wrapped in the same leather. I have a problem though. The steering wheel that I have on my car now is the newer (thinner) Msport steering wheel that has a 2 stage airbag. From what I've heard, the steering wheel wont work on the because the steering wheel I just purchased (like the one you have here) has a single stage airbag. Do you (or anyone) have any any insight on the matter? I have the exact one you have above and I would really hate to have to sell my steering wheel.

Update: I have the wheel with a stage one airbag and my car uses the stage 2, so I cant use the one I have, oh well
Yours looks alot better anyway, How can I get one like yours?

Last edited by Malberto; 01-24-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:42 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528i 1997
Where Can I buy the wheel ?

Looks awesome !! looking to purchase .. can you provide URL or phone number ? ....