Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 01-07-2013, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: Soon to be an m3
Purchasing a high mileage m3 good or bad idea.

Looking to get an m3 but it has over 100k on it what should I do and is it a good idea.
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2013, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 M3
whats the year and sticker price? Try to check the maint records too.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:11 PM
Ragtopper

Mein Auto: 1995 325 i(c)
I like cars with 100k plus miles if maintained.

Hello all

Just my 2 cents

I don't know what year you are looking at.

It depends because lots of short trips and stop and go traffic are way harder on a car then 8 or 10 hours of cross country at constant speed, that said a car with high mileage that has received proper maintenance and has not been driven to the failure point can be a real good buy.

I have been super happy with my e36 and it came with 144k. It's also almost as easy to work on as my 68 Deville the big difference is all the computer stuff and that's not really hard if you learn to search the Internet for DIY info, books, and testing procedures.

That's assuming you do your own work. I've put about 12k miles or so on my 1995 325i and spent less then $500 on parts and that's all been small stuff. I am not really into mods or racing so my car is basically stock and I do all my own work. If you don't work on yourself be prepared for high labor costs. It's also at least a 3rd car so I only work on it for fun.

Good luck, if you buy an e36 I'll be happy to share the little I know.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
This thread again

These threads are pointless, but im bored.

1) Make your own informed decision

- Figure out common failures on the M3. Search the threads or just ask the question in a new thread
-Figure out the service history.
-Whats currently wrong with the car if anything.
-Get a PPI.

2) Understand this is a high performance vehicle.

-As such, its upkeep costs are higher than any other normal german vehicle (which already is high).

Since your in BKLN then I would see if the vehicle was run as a city vehicle mostly or a highway tourer (if city its probs has some suspension scars)

3) ENJOY!!!!!
- M3 if well kept is going to be amazing, and as the 'fest sponser coined, your gonna have the S.A.G syndrome. (SILLY ASS GRIN Synd). whenever you drive it.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:24 PM

it's a 2001-2003 im looking at with up to 94k on it. i got a quote from my friend at a bmw dealer to do a full tune up and water pump and oil pump replacement engine seals and all for 2k
Old 01-13-2013, 09:27 PM

thanks guys.... you all must understand im coming from the nissan world so..... i have a lot of questions to ask and learning to do
Old 01-14-2013, 05:24 PM
Ragtopper

Mein Auto: 1995 325 i(c)
Dealer service gets expensive

I could not afford my bimmer if I didn't work on it myself
Old 01-14-2013, 05:29 PM

@ditoedt. I hear ya man i dont work on my own or atleast not yet. But i had to modify my budget and get a ext warranty. Now that i have a M3, i might be happy with a 335i no that i think about it. I prob will never "track" my car. Im a reserved driver. I dont street race like a mad man, when other cars rev their cars i just laugh. If i cant get you 0-60 then im good. But i should have test drove all the cars on my list like the M5, 335i, CTS-V, Camaro SS, Mustang GT, Nissan 350, Evo, STI, and even the Merc's AMG's. But its true when i jump in my M i cant stop smiling its like a kid in the candy store LOLOLOL.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:39 PM
FREQ

Mein Auto: m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusmuzic83 View Post
thanks guys.... you all must understand im coming from the nissan world so..... i have a lot of questions to ask and learning to do
BMWs are maintenance first and fun second...remember that.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 M Roadster
Buy a WRECKED M3 or really cheap one.

Be brave! Just buy a wrecked M3 at Salvage like I did.

There is No Fear about screwing something up and I have learned more about the M3 in two weeks than I ever knew about my M Roadster because I was always afraid to work on it myself. NO MORE BABY.

I will be looking for input from this group as I bring the Phoenix from the ashes to the Track.

The Hermannator

Old 01-20-2013, 04:03 PM

sorry about the giant text
Old 01-20-2013, 05:38 PM

@hermannator, i guess a positive is that you can get to the engine easier now right? lolol. But i thought u couldnt get a auto loan on a salvage car? I guess you would have to pay cash or maybe a personal loan. I hope she works out for u man.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:58 AM

Cash is King

[Yep, you either have to have cash or a credit card but the cost of wrecked cars at auction can be very reasonable. I bought this car for less than the cost of a used S54 engine. I could theoretically finish the work and have it certified to be street worthy again but my plans are for the track only.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:39 AM

I hear ya man.