Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-20-2013, 11:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 330i
What color is this? Oil level sensor or oil pressure sensor?

I am colorblind and I have no idea if this is red or yellow. I need to know if I need to replace the oil level sensor or the oil pressure sensor. From what I understand, if the light is red, I need to replace the pressure sensor. If the light is yellow, I need to replace the level sensor. That is, as long as my engine is ok. Also, the actual oil level is fine.

Any constructive input would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW light.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	358579  

Last edited by shroomer; 01-20-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-20-2013, 11:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
take a picture and post it. Then we can help you out accordingly.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 330i
It would help if I attached a pic. Duh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW light.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	358575  

Last edited by shroomer; 01-20-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:24 AM

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP M/T
first thing u need to do is check the readings on the oil dipstick and fill it if it requires some.
- if u get this yellow light for 20-25 seconds as soon as u start your car and goes away then u have a bad oil level sensor.
- if the light comes on as soon as u turn off ur car or randomly when u'r driving, then u r missing at least 1 quart of oil

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime

Last edited by heztheone; 01-21-2013 at 05:43 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
It's yellow. Mine does the same as stated above. Comes on for approx 20 sec at startup, then goes out.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:02 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Am I correct to say that (old) oil can icon is always amber, and never red? I have this issue maybe one can diagnose for me. 10-15 seconds AFTER the engine has started, whether if it is cold or warm, the oil icon comes on (amber color), then it goes off approximately 20 seconds later. I know I do not have an engine lubrication problem. I believe it is a sensor problem. How easy is it to replace this sensor? If the sensor is not reliable to predict a lubrication problem, what good is the sensor?

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 01-21-2013 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:39 AM
Function over fashion

Mein Auto: 325xiT
Dave, it sounds like you're in the same boat as the OP, with a bad oil level sensor. It seems that the computer can tell when the sensor is giving bad readings and it lets you know it's failing / failed. It's super easy to change... when you're doing an oil change, being that it's in the bottom of the oil pan. Let's just pretend that BMW didn't decide to remove the dipstick and use ONLY the sensor in the next-gen engines. In my wife's car, there's a little plastic access panel for the oil drain plug, and one for the oil level sensor. Tell you anything??
Old 01-21-2013, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
Am I correct to say that (old) oil can icon is always amber, and never red? ...
This very same icon does come on red if there is no oil pressure.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:53 AM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by joegr View Post
This very same icon does come on red if there is no oil pressure.
Worst. design. ever! Something this important should have a warning sound and bright flashing light attached to it, like the low fuel light. Something you can see and hear from space would be good.

I see mine (yellow) almost every time I arrive home. I drive up a steep hill, then a steep driveway and park in the garage. Light is on after I shut down... I wait a few minutes, check the level, and it's usually OK. My car does use some oil so I just keep an eye on it.

I usually don't see the light when I'm roaming around the flat areas outside of where I live.

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 01-21-2013, 08:17 AM
Function over fashion

Mein Auto: 325xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr826 View Post
Worst. design. ever!
... topped only by the absence of a dipstick...
Old 01-21-2013, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 325ci e46
Cool orange oil light intermittent illumination

Must be something in the air, I was driving yesterday long distance circa (900kms-450 miles) I stopped and switched engine off, checked the obvious, and then started car. No orange light, I travel approx 60 km (35 miles) on it comes. This thing is some 12000km before scheduled service. take care. G
Old 01-21-2013, 04:34 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay View Post
It's yellow. Mine does the same as stated above. Comes on for approx 20 sec at startup, then goes out.
Which means you have a bad oil level sensor.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 01-21-2013, 06:26 PM

yes, indeed sir
Old 01-21-2013, 08:06 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972ford View Post
Dave, it sounds like you're in the same boat as the OP, with a bad oil level sensor. It seems that the computer can tell when the sensor is giving bad readings and it lets you know it's failing / failed. It's super easy to change... when you're doing an oil change, being that it's in the bottom of the oil pan. Let's just pretend that BMW didn't decide to remove the dipstick and use ONLY the sensor in the next-gen engines. In my wife's car, there's a little plastic access panel for the oil drain plug, and one for the oil level sensor. Tell you anything??
Fortunately, the 330i belly pan does not extend back to the oil plug, so when I change the oil I do not have to remove any plastic covers. Where is the sensor? I never noticed one because it never occur to me to look for it when I change the oil.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:31 PM

Smile common sense

Thankyou kind sir, regrettably, common sense is not so.