Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 01-19-2013, 10:42 PM

Mein Auto: 1981r100
86 528e help

Hello all. I'm going to take a look at an 86 528e automatic that has 149000 miles on it tomorrow. The seller is looking to get 2400. If anyone is familiar, what should I be looking for and paying attention to during my visit? There are no mechanical issues they know of but there is one rust area they mentioned by the rear bumper..I am in upstste ny. Thank you!
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2013, 10:03 AM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Look for underbody and frame rust, evidence of water leaks and rust in the trunk (usually caused by bad taillight gaskets/seals) cracks in the bumpers, electrical corrosion, etc. All these older cars have some deterioration, but the rear under bumper panel is common and not too difficult to fix; I repaired mine with fiberglass and if looks fine. The three shocks that hold the rear bumper assembly on usually rust away too. Any car purchase should also include a comprehensive inspection of all the mechanical systems. These cars are not very hard to repair, but it's best to know exactly what you will need to do to make it safe and reliable, and a rusty car is usually not worth purchasing.

Last edited by catso; 01-21-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: 1981r100
thanks for the info catso. The car did indeed have quite a rear bumper area rust-out, it didnt look like it was long for being attached to the car. there were three or four other rust spots that had been filled, but looked like they would be trouble again, around the fenders and lower door areas.
I did not notice any frame rot, but I didnt have a lift.

I took it for a spin and noted a loose and mushy steering situation, and there was some kind of scraping/catching problem with the front brakes. not sure if it was a bad rotor or something with the abs? also, the oil lamp flickered at low idle, and the inspection light was on.
not sure how serious that would be.. anyway, I decided against purchasing the car.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:14 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcorrigan View Post
thanks for the info catso. The car did indeed have quite a rear bumper area rust-out, it didnt look like it was long for being attached to the car. there were three or four other rust spots that had been filled, but looked like they would be trouble again, around the fenders and lower door areas.
I did not notice any frame rot, but I didnt have a lift.

I took it for a spin and noted a loose and mushy steering situation, and there was some kind of scraping/catching problem with the front brakes. not sure if it was a bad rotor or something with the abs? also, the oil lamp flickered at low idle, and the inspection light was on.
not sure how serious that would be.. anyway, I decided against purchasing the car.
Probably better that you didn't buy it. If you want an E28, try to get a real nice one, then you can keep it for many years. There are still many good ones around.