Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions
Welcome to Bimmerfest! Whether you are a current BMW owner or just interested in BMW cars, we hope you enjoy your visit. Take a moment to introduce yourself and post a picture of your BMW for the rest of the community to see.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-21-2013, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 328i
Question Overheating Problem

Hi! I just came across this site so first let me say hello to everyone. I have a 1997 BMW 328i with about 197,000 miles on it and I'm having problems with it overheating. Months ago, there was an issue with the coolant level and I would have to keep filling it back up at least twice a week. Long story short; there was a hole in one of the tubes and the coolant was leaking out so I got it fixed.

Now, some months later I was driving home when I noticed the thermostat was on red so immediately I pulled over, only to find the coolant tank was still full. After finally getting it home and parking it, a few days later I got my step father to come out and help me figure out the problem. He had me start the engine and rev it until it began to overheat so that he could see what was going on and basically; the coolant was literally bubbling over and being forced OUT of the tank even with the cap sealed tightly; along with some steam.

Does that sound like a normal issue? Perhaps anything having to do with the water pump?
Either way, I cannot drive it anywhere without it overheating in minutes.
thanks!
Advertisement