Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-19-2013, 03:46 PM

Mein Auto: 07 328i Coupe
Zooks,

I have the 328i coupe with the sport package and it's got a six speed auto by ZF. Says it on the transmission. I just replaced the Mechatronic sleeve. I don't know if the GM trans has that but I know the ZF does.

I'd be happy to learn that I was wrong so that I could buy some cheap fluid and replace it about three times to make sure I got all of the SP out. The sticker on the side says ZF fluids only.

Regards,

Jeff
Old 01-19-2013, 03:47 PM

Oh, one last question. How long can I drive it like this without damage if I drive gently?
Old 01-19-2013, 04:30 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
If you have th ZF transmission I posted about earlier and you dropped the pan I bet the LG6 stunk like hell. All the LG fluids seen to do that. Mercon SP is the correct fluid since I did spend money to have analysis done for both and many of us are using it with zero problems. If you are having issues with the transmission shifting poorly it isn't the fluid. Blackstones analysis said the newe LG6 I sent them and the new Mercon SP I sent them could be from the same batch.

I had thought the 328 was a GM transmission but you pulled the pan and the pan and the filter are integral. What did the old fluid smell like? Dextron smells like regular transmission fluid and LG 6 stinks.

Something isn't right here too many of us have changed the fluid in the pan with no issues using Mercon SP. Did you take any pictures of anything you did, did you refill the transmission with the car running in park once you filled it the first time?
Congrats on getting the sleeve in place. You did see the write up on correct positioning of the sleeve?

More details please...

Last edited by fun2drive; 01-19-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
j_nolesfan

Do you have a 2006 coupe (in the thread title) or a 2007 coupe (in the 'mein auto') section of your posts?

If it's a model year 2007, I've never seen anything other than a reference to the GM transmissions in the 328i, unless there's some squirrellyness in the model year changeover. Still, it's hard to argue with a ZF sticker on the side of it.

If it's model year 2006, I didn't think they made a 328i that year (only a 325 or 330). Edmunds confirms that, but realoem.com not only lets me ask for parts for a 2006 328i but gives me the ZF transmission as an option. So now I'm pretty decently puzzled. LATER: Must have been 2006 builds for 2007 model year.

AFTER SOME SEARCHING: Hah, it appears that there were some 2007 328i cars that went out with ZF transmissions, probably as a result of the production switchover. Strange that it'll mount either one. OK, so you do have the ZF. Learn something every day.

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion

Last edited by Zooks527; 01-19-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:33 PM

I didn't really notice a very strong odor from the original fluid. I still have it so I'll go smell it tomorrow to be sure. The fluid was an amber color and seemed very clean but darker than syrup. The Mercon SP smells a lot like plain old gear oil to me.

I didn't take pictures. This was the most stressful DIY I've ever done simply because of the space constraints. I ended up aligning the sleeve by hand, and then putting a socket that fit perfectly into the sleeve to the plug's depth. Then, I pushed it in with some gentle taps. No chance of pin contact because it was a 12 point socket that was pretty thin walled so it was only touching on the outer portion of the sleeve and wouldn't have touched the pins.

I filled the transmission until it was overflowing cold. Then, I started the car, turned off DTC, put on the parking brake, and shifted manually through all gears and reverse many times before leaving it in D. Once I figured the trans was up to temp, I pulled the fill plug out and started pumping the fluid in. What came out when it started to over flow was warm, probably 80 degrees so I know that at least the trans wasn't cold. It took almost six quarts. Keep in mind, my trans had been leaking so I'd like to think it's possible that I would need to add a little more than someone who was just changing the fluid. I suppose it's possible that it's slightly over filled but I couldn't imagine that it would be under filled, not with adding about 5.8 quarts total. Do you think a tad too much fluid (a couple of ounces, maybe three) could cause the trans to slip?

Perhaps I should warm it up on the road and then jack it up and check the level again. It might come running out. When I put the fill plug back in, it probably would have drained just a touch more if I would have let it but I don't think the fill hose I was using would have prevented the fluid from spilling out when it was supposed to (causing an excessive over fill).

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 01-19-2013, 05:36 PM

Ok, went ahead and took a whiff. The original fluid smells a lot like motor oil to me, not really distinctive. It might have a hint of gear oil smell but nothing like the SP.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
Since you have the ZF tranny I believe the original fluid was the Shell 1375.4. My 2007 335i has the same and when I did the fluid/pan change at 60K miles it didn't stink. It was dark not red and the new shell 1375.4 that I put back in was amber colored and had little smell. It took about 6 liters to refill. Now I am at 95K and everything has been working perfectly but recently my mechatronic sleeve started leaking. I hear that is a common issue.

94 318I (Daughter's car), 96 740IL(current project), 97 528I(DD), 07 335I(Son's car)
Old 01-20-2013, 09:13 AM
BMWCCA 149159

Both the OEM that I drained stinks and so does the Shell 1375.4 I bought both online and from BMW.

j_nolefan:

Did I read this right that you ran the trans through the gears and warmed the fluid up to the correct temp after refilling
Now this is a very important point. You DID have the engine running when you refilled it to weaping out right?
If not your transmission is not correctly filled. If so I don't know what to tell you as I have done countless changes in many BMWs to include the X models and changing the fluid either makes no difference or an improved difference.

One thing really bothers me when you said that the fluid color was amber and the color of syrup. It should be dark in color
Look here
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=1375.4
See post 9-10
The color on the left is what mine looked like at 37,500 miles and the right is what Shell 1375.4 looks like or LG6.

If it is lighter than that someone replaced it and that means they replaced it for a reason.
Please post a pic if you still have it of the ATF.
Mercon SP works just fine since the reason there is a Mercon SP is that ZF builds a lot of transmissions for Ford and they (ZF) spec'ed the fluid.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:36 PM

I warmed the trans and filled it to overflowing while it was running in D.

When I was draining the original fluid, the stream looked amber. The fluid in the pan looked like black coffee. The only thing I can think of is that the garage floor (or my jack stands) weren't perfectly level bit they were damn close if not.

Ik just wondering if I can drive it gently for short distances until next weekend when i will have time to retest the level.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:37 PM

It goes without saying, I had filled the trans to overflowing before starting the car to warm it up.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:20 PM
BMWCCA 149159

OK I am stumped because that is the correct way to fill the transmission with fluid. What issues are you having? Harsh shifting or ???
No codes were reset so there should be no transmission adaption going on unless disconnecting the connector for the mechatronic did that but even so it would revert back to a standard algorthim that would not be harsh or poor shifting. The ZF is one of the smoothest shifting transmissions I have experienced.
I am out of suggestions...
Old 01-21-2013, 05:18 AM

When I went on my first test drive, after about a mile, I made two full throttle rolling starts from 2nd or 3rd gear in auto mode and it seemed to hesitate between shifts, almost like driving a manual shift car with a clutch. It didn't drop into the next gear harshly but it was firm. The RPMs seemed to only dip slightly so I don't think it was slipping because I'd expect them to increase.

On a more positive note, my morning commute to work seemed flawless but I kept a very light foot all the way here. I'd like to think that maybe the trans was relearning my driving style after being disconnected. If I'm still experiencing this issue by week's end, I'm going to reinspect the fluid level.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
So, everyone keeps giving you information on the transmission fluid for the ZF transmission, and you keep referring to it as well.

However, doesn't the 2007 328i use a GM 6L45 (6L50?) transmission, which would seem to imply Dexron VI transmission fluid instead of Mercon SP? Aren't the viscosity specifications for the two different?
My VIN is PV74040. Based on this decoder, the trans model is listed as GA6HP-19Z.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:40 AM

This link is part of one of the best DIYs I've seen on replacing the sleeve and it states neutral or park for the top off. Perhaps I should have had mine in one of those positions instead of D? That might account for a possible over filling?

One other key point from that same post: "If anyone is having troubles with rough shifting or a "bump" between gears, it is LIKELY the seal adapter which sits on top of the mechatronics and seals a port between the body of the tranny and mechatronics."

Perhaps my O rings on the sleeve were a little too dry after being installed and they hadn't fully sealed until the fluid circulated for a period of time? I'll know more by the end of the week, hopefully.

Jeff

Last edited by j_nolesfan; 01-21-2013 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Added more detail.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:45 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Should not matter if it was in Park or Drive or Neutral because the car is not moving. BMW specs Park for safety reasons.
Hopefully the transmission will be fine. Hope to hear a report back in a few weeks as to condition..
Old 01-21-2013, 07:18 PM

Will do. It ran pretty well on the commute home. It didn't shift perfectly at full throttle but better than the first test. I think it's coming around.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
Old 02-08-2013, 01:12 PM

Just dropping in an update. I've noticed three things about the way the transmission behaves and I think they all started after the fluid change and sleeve replacement.

First off, the transmission seems to hesitate when going from park to D. It could just be a cold condition. I haven't noticed it much otherwise. I'll have to try and remember to pay attention. I don't do a lot of mutli stop (car off/on) driving.

Next, the car seems to drop into top gear a little more abrupt than it used to. This is most noticable whenever I'm driving along a a normal pace up a slight grade. It seems to hesitate or hang in 5th gear and then shift firmly into 6th gear. It's not quite hard enough to be sure it's abnormal.

Finally, under braking to a stop, as the car down shifts, just before rolling to a stop, it almost feels like an upshift. It's almost like someone pushes the bumper from behind, like they're tapping you, similar to "bump drafting". It's not every time but occasionally.

Even considering all of this, I'm not convinced that something is terminally wrong. I'm going to stick with it for a while. If the issue continues, I'll probably replace the pan and fluid again.

Cheers,

Jeff
Old 02-08-2013, 02:14 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Jeff:
Since this is an electronically controlled transmission most of the transmission changes are controlled by that algorthim. I can't help you since mine is a 335 and uses a different ZF 6 spd.
None of what you mentioned seems abnormal to me...
Old 02-28-2013, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D M sport
Parts for your ZF trans

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_nolesfan View Post
Hello there,

I know there is at least one other thread on this topic but I was wondering if anyone had changed the Mechtronic sleeve without dropping the trans pan. Mine has the plastic pan with the built in filter. It's a 328i Coupe with the sport package. I'd love to just change the sleeve and top off the fluid for now if that's possible. I've seen hints that it might somehow not be accessible without removing the pan.

BTW, I'm in ATL. European Motor Cars wants $864 to do the pan drop / change and replace the sleeve.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
California based company called The CTSC has all the parts for your trans at a half the price compared to your bmw dealer, looks like the owner ships dirrectly from Germany to his warehouse, check it out at "thectsc.com"

Also changing your cars fluids is very important to get rid of that NASTY OIL SLUDGE and those TINY METAL SHAVINGS out of the system, every 50K I flush my power steering and trasmission to DOUBLE the life of those expensive components