Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkapdolee View Post
BJ
Thanks for your help. More dealers reponded to me today but none of them sound promising. Some just said we have a big inventory, come check it out. What time can u come today. Some said we have a similar car but cant sell it to u for that price. None of them said something along the lines of we have the exact car u want minus one small thing. We'll sell u for x amount less.

I think im like krash. I got a good deal with the right dealer and special ordered the exact car i want. I dont have an old lease running out or anything so no immediate need for the new car this weekend. I'm ok with the wait. Thanks a lot for your help though. I learned a lot in this thread that i can do better the next time i order.
Yes; especially since I have a production end date now. But having a car built specifically for yourself makes it even more special. It's a great experience.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:57 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
BJ
Thanks for your help. More dealers reponded to me today but none of them sound promising. Some just said we have a big inventory, come check it out. What time can u come today. Some said we have a similar car but cant sell it to u for that price. None of them said something along the lines of we have the exact car u want minus one small thing. We'll sell u for x amount less.

I think im like krash. I got a good deal with the right dealer and special ordered the exact car i want. I dont have an old lease running out or anything so no immediate need for the new car this weekend. I'm ok with the wait. Thanks a lot for your help though. I learned a lot in this thread that i can do better the next time i order.
Sorry you couldn't find anything, but hey- you had an intense day talking BMW's and that never hurts.

We'll help you through the wait. Come to think of it, I have a gift for you to kill the time. Check out this thread:

Official BMW F30 *Videos* Thread
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=648287

Pay attention to the link to the BMW site where they have their excellent "owners manual" collection of 44 videos, will teach you a lot about the car. Also, the PDF of the physical owners manual is there, it's always fun to know more than your dealer on the day you take delivery.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 01-17-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
What is PCD? I probably should know this since I spend so much time on the 'fest....

But honestly, I don't know what that means.
Performance Center Delivery. Quite honestly I couldn't believe it and thought there must be some hidden fees... but no - it's $0 cost to you (except the travel to SC). Red carpet treatment, from what I was able to figure out so far you get:

- free night at a local hotel with dinner and next day breakfast included
- BMW factory tour in Spartanburg, SC
- "hot lap" with an instructor driving an M3 on track
- you driving a slalom in a similar car to what you are getting
- you driving a breaking exercise on a wet course
- 2 hour "getting to know your vehicle" instruction course

I might be missing something, you can read all about it here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136

Start with the very first post in there where one guy is documenting his entire experience on a blog.

Here's the official PCD website and FAQ:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...CenterFAQ.aspx

It took me about two days of browsing and reading to make myself believe this is real but apparently bmw has been doing this for a while. You can also do European Delivery, which is even more awesome because you get insurance for 14 days to drive around Europe. The only downside is you wait about another six weeks for a redelivery of your car in US when you're done over there.

I am most certainly doing PCD, hopefully no later than some time mid-March!

Old 01-17-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
That's not the good VIN decoding site.

This one is:

http://www.rubmw.ru/vincode/eng/

BJ

Mine's still not searchable

Old 01-18-2013, 07:56 AM
HKD

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Titan Silv Red
I just called and was told the vehicle is "scheduled for daily production pack as of 1/6/13". My CA told me it was scheduled for production on week 7 but that it could move up since it's "sold" and considered priority. This is my first time ordering any thoughts would be appreciated.

2013 e92 335i Titan Silver Corral Red
6MT Prem Nav M Sport Comft Access PDC HK Sound Fire Seats
Old 01-18-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM1975 View Post
Mine's still not searchable
Hmm.

You only put in the last 7 digits of the VIN yes? Also, the results show at the bottom of the page. It doesn't refresh or anything. Sometimes people overlook it.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 01-18-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Hmm.

You only put in the last 7 digits of the VIN yes? Also, the results show at the bottom of the page. It doesn't refresh or anything. Sometimes people overlook it.

BJ
Yes, just the last 7 digits. I exchanged a few emails with Paul from the bmwvin website and he confirmed my VIN is simply not in the system yet. He's advising to check back next week.

Krash - did you try yours yet?

Old 01-18-2013, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: a car
Quote:
Sorry you couldn't find anything, but hey- you had an intense day talking BMW's and that never hurts.

We'll help you through the wait. Come to think of it, I have a gift for you to kill the time. Check out this thread:

Official BMW F30 *Videos* Thread
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=648287

Pay attention to the link to the BMW site where they have their excellent "owners manual" collection of 44 videos, will teach you a lot about the car. Also, the PDF of the physical owners manual is there, it's always fun to know more than your dealer on the day you take delivery.

BJ
BJ,

Thanks. Last night on my iPad, I watched the first 6 videos you posted straight without skipping 1 minute of it. They were very informative. Especially the first video. It showed me the little cradle for the iphone that you were talking about not to use and I now know exactly where the usb and aux inputs are. I can visualize a few possible set ups. Using the usb with maybe a usb flashdrive full of music files doesn't seem too bad considering its going to hidden. I will watch the other videos that other people posted there as well. Thanks a lot.

2013 328i Sedan | ULEV N20 | M Sport Line | Estoril Blue II | Black Dakota Leather | Premium Package |
Technology Package | Driver Assistance Package | Dynamic Handling Package | Lighting Package |
Harmon Kardon Surround Sound | Sport Automatic Transmission with Shift Paddles | Anti Theft Alarm |
Port install: BMW M Performance Exhaust |
Old 01-18-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Using the usb with maybe a usb flashdrive full of music files doesn't seem too bad considering its going to hidden.
BJ's setup with a beater iPod that never leaves the armrest is a really great solution. Depending on how your parking situation looks if the iPod can reach your wireless home network when your car is parked where you live it will update automatically (if you have wireless iTunes sync enabled). This way whenever you change something in your music library/playlists on your main computer/laptop - next time you enter your bmw the changes are already there. This is by far the most effective setup you can have. I am definitely taking that advice and getting a used iPod 4th gen on ebay (easily obtainable for $100-$150) as soon as my car is here.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
BJ's setup with a beater iPod that never leaves the armrest is a really great solution. Depending on how your parking situation looks if the iPod can reach your wireless home network when your car is parked where you live it will update automatically (if you have wireless iTunes sync enabled). This way whenever you change something in your music library/playlists on your main computer/laptop - next time you enter your bmw the changes are already there. This is by far the most effective setup you can have. I am definitely taking that advice and getting a used iPod 4th gen on ebay (easily obtainable for $100-$150) as soon as my car is here.
Yeah I read about BJ's set up as well and am very impressed. However, I just switched my phone from an iPhone 4 to a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 so no iTunes sync for me. Besides, I don't like iTunes that much.. I don't have that many music and don't see myself updating my list that often. Also, I don't want to buy an iPod.. I'm thinking of either storing some music in the BMW internal hard drive (isn't there one?) and using a large flashdrive full of music or buying a micro sd card, filling it with music and putting it in my phone to listen to all my music via bluetooth alone.

2013 328i Sedan | ULEV N20 | M Sport Line | Estoril Blue II | Black Dakota Leather | Premium Package |
Technology Package | Driver Assistance Package | Dynamic Handling Package | Lighting Package |
Harmon Kardon Surround Sound | Sport Automatic Transmission with Shift Paddles | Anti Theft Alarm |
Old 01-18-2013, 01:02 PM

Yes, there's an internal HD and according to some reports on this forum 12GB of it's space is available for music files. Any of the solutions you described will work with the BT trasfer being probably the lowest quality (although a lot of people here don't seem to mind it). I guess the best way is to test it out and see what works best for you.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Yes, there's an internal HD and according to some reports on this forum 12GB of it's space is available for music files. Any of the solutions you described will work with the BT trasfer being probably the lowest quality (although a lot of people here don't seem to mind it). I guess the best way is to test it out and see what works best for you.
Yeah, but I also read somewhere online that BT is supposed to have the same quality as USB (at least in theory). It's not like sending out radio signals which have the lowest quality. I have bluetooth music streaming in my current car and I can't tell the difference. But then again, I don't have a premium sound system in my car right now..

Old 01-18-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but I also read somewhere online that BT is supposed to have the same quality as USB (at least in theory).
I honestly can't wait to test it out myself and see if I can actually hear the difference.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Yes, just the last 7 digits. I exchanged a few emails with Paul from the bmwvin website and he confirmed my VIN is simply not in the system yet. He's advising to check back next week.

Krash - did you try yours yet?
I really don't know. I'm in Vegas for the next week.

I'll guess I'll find out when I get back.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Well done. Not because it's what I did, but because it's really the best solution. Much as the iPhone can be integrated, it has its downsides and keeping your iPhone free (Bluetooth) while making the iPod the prisoner (armrest) I find to be the most efficient and simple solution.

BJ

Old 01-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Playin' With Your Head

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Quote:
February 5 would make March 1.

1 week to get on a boat. 1 week on the water. 1 week prep/transport.

All are approximates, but ballpark. Decent ballpark.

BJ
I just called the 800 number and I was told that my car is in production with an estimated completion date of 1/29/13.

So according to the timetable you provided, I should expect:

On the boat by: 2/5/13
Arrives in US by: 2/12/13
Prep/Transport completed by: 2/19/13
Delivery to Chicago: well before 3/1/13

Does that seem right to you? Based on that estimated completion date, how would you handicap my chances of getting the car before March 1? Better than 75%?

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Old 01-20-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
I just called the 800 number and I was told that my car is in production with an estimated completion date of 1/29/13.

Does that seem right to you? Based on that estimated completion date, how would you handicap my chances of getting the car before March 1? Better than 75%?
I'd give you good liklihood, but the ocean freight is a big variable.

Depending on volume, the boat may make more stops to pick up more freight in Europe before heading across. There is no way to predict that, but as soon as you get the boat name you can get the schedule and it will clearly show you which ports it is stopping in and when it is due to hit the US.

Also, I am on a lease schedule that usually puts me in a new car in August or September which are popular months to get new car delivery. Here in the dead of winter, I don't know if car sales slow to the point where there's an extra weeks delay in Germany for BMW to build enough critical mass of cars to fill enough space on the usual vessels.

BJ

Old 01-20-2013, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
Quote:
It's not a website problem. The allocation process assigns a color to the car so that if it isn't allocated to a special order customer it gets built and shipped to the dealer that way. Think of it this way: you have intercepted a car that was supposed to be made differently. Your dealer has to input all of the new information to override what was already there for that particular allocation. Once your new detail is in the system it will update on the BMW website.

But big picture, know this: the BMW tracking website is awful. It's always behind, it lacks good detail. What you need is the BMW telephone number which you can call 24 hours a day and learn the true status of your build.

Call: (800) 831-1117 Say "Vehicle Production Status" when prompted.

BJ
noting the number here

Sent from my XT557 using Bimmer App
Old 01-21-2013, 06:50 PM

"Your vehicle is in the body shop with the estimated completion date of January 22" - YAY! Previously the system was giving me Jan 23 as the estimated completion date so I my built is now one day ahead of schedule! Where's the champagne!!!?

Old 01-21-2013, 07:17 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post

your on the boat/arrives in US times are too optimistic.
typical voyage from bremerhaven to NY is 14 days, and depending on the train schedule from the plant to bremerhaven, its usually 10 days from end of prod.

this is the current ship schedule, there are only two boats that leave after the 29th and arrive before march 1:
Origin Port Departure Destination port Arrival Vessel Voyage Transit (Days) Booking

BREMERHAVEN 06/02/2013 NEW YORK, NY 20/02/2013 MANON CA306-MAN 14 Book It
BREMERHAVEN 13/02/2013 NEW YORK, NY 27/02/2013 DON JUAN CA307-DOJ 14 Book It

it will be very tight to get on the manon. my car was built in munich, ended production on the 22nd of november, didnt make it onto a boat until 12/1.

if your dealer is reasonably large, getting there by 3/1 if you make the manon is pretty likely. if you make the don juan, then i would say its pretty unlikely.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:

Last edited by Orient330iNYC; 01-21-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
"Your vehicle is in the body shop with the estimated completion date of January 22" - YAY! Previously the system was giving me Jan 23 as the estimated completion date so I my built is now one day ahead of schedule! Where's the champagne!!!?
Don't get too excited because you're about to fall into BMW Shipping Black Hole #1 which is the infamous "your car has completed production and is awaiting transportation" stage.

There it will sit for over a week, maybe two, you'll get all pissed off, you'll make dozens of calls, you won't get anywhere. Then, suddenly, you'll get a call from your dealer who will tell you "you're on the Miranda, your car shipped a week ago" and then you will feel confused but happy.

And, best of all, when this Black Hole happens, you will come here and say something like "my car has been in 'production compete' status for over 10 days, is something wrong?" and we will act like we never told you about the Black Hole and convince you that something is very wrong, your car isn't ever going to make it, and that you lost your car to a Japanese cartel kingpin just to f-ck with you.

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 01-21-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
we will act like we never told you about the Black Hole and convince you that something is very wrong, your car isn't ever going to make it, and that you lost your car to a Japanese cartel kingpin just to f-ck with you.
hehehe....now you spoiled the fun because you already told me all of this!
BTW as of this morning: "your vehicle production is complete and it's waiting to be released to the carrier" - going to rent some movies and try to not think about it!

Old 01-23-2013, 09:04 AM
Playin' With Your Head

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
I went through this in 2009, basically, so I have some remembrance of what it was like to sit on pins and needles and not know exactly where everything in the process was until all of a sudden, boom, car was here.

March 1 is my date. I am not expecting it a day before that. Hopefully it doesn't get delayed for very long after that.

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Old 01-23-2013, 11:36 AM

Hmm..

My dealer told me last week that I am scheduled for production on week 4 of January.
I must have called the 800 number (the one BJ posted) 10 times since last week. I just called again and it still tells me "your vehicle is scheduled for production with no confirmed production date yet".

krash and DavidM, what day of the week did you guys confirm the start of your productions?

I'm wondering if I should wait until the end of the week (Friday) or contact the dealer now..?

Also, does Performance Center Delivery take extra time??

Thanks.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
krash and DavidM, what day of the week did you guys confirm the start of your productions?
Monday.

Quote:
Also, does Performance Center Delivery take extra time??
I think it does take about extra two weeks although last time I spoke to my CA he was quite optimistic about scheduling it for early March. I would be happy if it takes place in mid March. So far no confirmation on that.