Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: F30 '13 328i xDrive
Almost a week with my F30

I have been mostly lurking on these boards for the last 6 months or so as I researched getting a new car. I learned a ton from you guys and it made getting the car extremely simple. I have never known so much about a car before. I thought I would give my initial impressions and maybe help out someone who is at the point I was all those months ago. I picked up the car 6 days ago and I have almost 400 miles on it. This is my first BMW so I cannot help those of you trying to compare it to prior models.

After much deliberation I went with the following build:

2013 328xi, sport line, MG/EG, ZCW, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, rearview camera, pdc, HK. I guess you could say I couldn't stop clicking boxes.

What strikes me most about it is that it is really like having three different cars. I have the DHP and since I didn't do any extensive driving with a car without it I can't say how much that plays into this but each mode is very different (more so than I thought they would be).

Eco Pro - It is almost like driving a huge golf cart in eco pro. There is no power at all. I will not use it driving around town. I did use it on the highway at cruising speed and it was fine. It said I saved about 5 miles on a 100 mile trip using it about 50% of the time. I am not sure that is even worth it though. If you need to do a lot of passing this mode would be no good. I had to set it so it did not change the climate control so I am losing a lot of the benefit right there. I need air blowing on my face while I drive. All in all a nice idea, but I doubt I will use it much.

Comfort - This is great for every day driving. Very smooth comfortable ride. If this was the only mode it would still be a good car. But put it to Sport and you can feel the personality of the car change. The car is super fast and takes turns like it is on rails. There is no doubt I am going to get speeding tickets in this car. Touch the gas pedal and you are gone. There have been so many times I look down at the speedometer and can't believe how fast I am going. I have so much fun driving in sport mode. And I have been taking it easy during the break in period. The car has so much more to give and even with that I am having a ball driving it. I will probably stick to comfort in everyday situations but whenever I get some clear road with some twists I am definitely hitting that sport button. The sport mode suspension seems tighter but not too harsh. I think I could ride around all the time in sport mode and be comfortable doing it. I assume it kills gas mileage though. I will monitor this and see if I can figure out the difference in mpg.

The cabin while not silent is certainly quiet enough for me. I can understand what people are saying about the sound of the 4 cylinder engine but it is not a big deal to me. The car is plenty fast and that is all that matters to me.

Steering - As I said first BMW so I have not run into the problem many others have. The car goes exactly where I want it to so it is ok by me. This is not to discount anyone's opinion I just cannot comment on it.

HUD - First time I have had a car with anything like this. It is awesome. I don't think I have looked at the regular speedometer yet. I love having the NAV directions on there. It is also great to have the radio stations and telephone contacts on there too. I doubt I will ever be able to have a car without one again.

Navigation - I never really considered not getting this but I know a lot of people say that they can get better service from their phones. They may be right but for me you simply can't beat the convenience of having it integrated into the car. The fact that it shows up in the HUD makes it a no brainer to me. Sending an address to the car is very simple whether it be by the app or on Google maps. Question - is there a way to get the street you are currently on to show at the bottom of the screen? All other NAV's I have had have done this but I cannot figure out a way to do it.

Headlights - They look awesome. I don't really see much of an improvement in light but again they look awesome. It seems like the passenger side light projects out farther than the driver side light. Is this by design or do I need to have them adjusted?

ASS - It doesn't bother me as much as it bothers most people. I wish they had done a better job with it but for now I am giving it a chance. If I can't live with it I will have it coded. So far I have not turned it off. I have not stalled or anything like that. There is a slight jerk when it starts up again but most of the time it is not noticeable. One time I had the window down and the sound did startle me then so I assume it sounds a little funny to anyone outside of the car.

HK - Songs from my iPhone sound awesome. I changed the settings to those on another thread and it really sounds good. I have yet to set up a beater iPod so the iPhone was just to test it out. I have been mostly listening to Sirius and FM. I don't know if it is my imagination but I think the HK makes Sirius sound worse than it did on my old car's system. Is it possible that the better system accentuates the flaws in Sirius's sound? I have not tried a CD yet so I can't comment on that but I assume it will sound very good. If there was one thing I maybe could have done without it was this. I like the variety of Sirius and I listen to sports talk sometimes too. So I probably won't get enough out of the HK to make it worth it.

Sports Seats - I think they are very comfortable. I was on a 2 hour drive with some traffic and I felt fine. I debated for a long time sport vs. luxury because I liked the saddle brown interior. In the end my wife and kids really didn't like the color and since the sport line appealed to me anyway I went with it. My CA said the Everest interior isn't very common. I love it. I think the contrast of the dark grey on the outside and the light grey on the inside is wonderful.

So far not too many complaints other than possibly ASS. Again I don't hate it as much as everyone else but I am far from sold on it yet. I am sure I am in a honeymoon period and I will find some stuff to complain about but so far so good.

This site is the best. Thanks to everyone for their help. I even bought the car from a board sponsor and the whole transaction could not have been easier.
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2013, 08:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Pictures please!

Navigation : You can't display the street you are on in the main navi display, but you can have it displayed if you split the screen and show the arrow display in the split section. Strange, but that's the way it is.

Headlights: Yes, the passenger side is "higher" for more curb visibility.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:10 PM

Thanks for the answers. I figured the lights were supposed to be that way. I only have some iPhone pics but here are a few:

Old 01-21-2013, 10:09 PM

Mein Auto: BMW!
Great car!

I think I may be the only ASS man here :P The quietness of my car in standby accompanied by the savings on gas / emissions to the atmosphere. The slight jerk is an endearingly quirky part of my cars character.
I even find myself missing it when the engine is to cold to work. Am I drinking the koolade here?

Chiba

Last edited by chiba; 01-21-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:34 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive Msport
Looking good!... enjoy the car..

2013 335i M-sport xDrive 'Superman Combo'
Cold Weather Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Premium, Technology, Sport auto, Rear-view camera, Park Distance Control, HK
ED: May 28, 2013
Redelivery: Aug 12, 2013
Old 01-21-2013, 11:16 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
looking awesome

love those wheels
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 01-21-2013, 11:22 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagen21 View Post
Thanks for the answers. I figured the lights were supposed to be that way. I only have some iPhone pics but here are a few:

Great pics, great car! Love the interior, first one I've seen in that configuration.

Get the painted reflectors, really changes the look, cleans it up a bit.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 01-22-2013, 03:59 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Old 01-22-2013, 05:38 AM
1-5-3-6-2-4

Send a message via Skype™ to rtgirard
Mein Auto: 2013 335xi
Glad you're loving the car! Great-looking interior!

Quote:
I need air blowing on my face while I drive.
Which instantly made me think of this:

BMWCCA# 457109
Old 01-22-2013, 06:11 AM
Playin' With Your Head

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Quote:
ASS - It doesn't bother me as much as it bothers most people. I wish they had done a better job with it but for now I am giving it a chance. If I can't live with it I will have it coded. So far I have not turned it off. I have not stalled or anything like that. There is a slight jerk when it starts up again but most of the time it is not noticeable. One time I had the window down and the sound did startle me then so I assume it sounds a little funny to anyone outside of the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiba View Post
I think I may be the only ASS man here :P The quietness of my car in standby accompanied by the savings on gas / emissions to the atmosphere. The slight jerk is an endearingly quirky part of my cars character.
I even find myself missing it when the engine is to cold to work. Am I drinking the koolade here?
I get mine by March 1 (I hope). I am wondering about ASS. I have heard from some that after the car is broken in, or after a few thousand miles, you don't feel the jerk of the start up from an ASS stop anymore, that the system smooths itself out. Can anyone vouch for this?

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Old 01-22-2013, 07:17 AM
I probably dislike you...

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport
Great call on the Everest Grey, same interior I have. It is an awesome color, gets you almost back to Oyster which was my favorite E90 color. It also makes the interior so much more airy and open feeling when compared to black.
2002 325xi (Retired, very much missed)
Old 01-22-2013, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Very nice! Congratulations.

With regard to Sirius, it's a perception thing. On low end crappy systems, there isn't as big a difference in terms of overall sound quality between Sirius, FM, CDs, iPods. They basically all sound crappy, but even with a crappy sound system, Sirius usually isn't as good, and discerning ears can notice it.

However, with higher end systems, the difference between Sirius and everything else becomes much more dramatic. Basic FM, CDs, and iPods sound significantly better. It's really quite obvious. The reality is that Sirius sounds better on the high end systems too, but because there is such a big drop off in quality compared to the other input sources, it seems like Sirius actually sounds better on low end systems.

CDs sound best of course. I would rank FM and iPods the same. Then there is a HUGE drop off with Sirius. HUGE!

So you're observation and theory on that is pretty much right on...

Fact is, Sirius is just really poor and even the best systems can't compensate for it.

EDIT: By the way, this is not a problem unique to BMWs. This applies to all sound systems everywhere. You would think that this obvious, but after spending years and years on the 'Fest, I wouldn't be surprised if someone interpreted this as a BMW only issue.

Last edited by krash; 01-22-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 750i
I drove a F30 loaner yesterday...and let me tell you, it was great!

Also, thanks for the pics! Very nice car.

2011 BMW 750i (Current)
2010 BMW 528i
Old 01-22-2013, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328 i xdrive
its a great ass car enjoy it
Old 01-22-2013, 08:11 PM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
Anthracite wood? I selected that with the same color interior and shadowline... looks fantastic!
Old 01-23-2013, 03:32 AM
'12 6MT ZCP e92 M3

Mein Auto: '12 6MT ZCP e92 M3
Quote:

HK - Songs from my iPhone sound awesome. I changed the settings to those on another thread and it really sounds good.

Any links to that thread? Thanks. Congrats!
e90
f30
e92 ///M
Old 01-23-2013, 04:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
I get mine by March 1 (I hope). I am wondering about ASS. I have heard from some that after the car is broken in, or after a few thousand miles, you don't feel the jerk of the start up from an ASS stop anymore, that the system smooths itself out. Can anyone vouch for this?
A friend rode with me the other day and was really attuned to the start/stop. I honestly don't even notice it anymore.

It was never jerky for me and now it's not even noticeable.
2012 Alpine White F30 328i Leather Dakota Everest Grey/Sport Line/Premium/Premium Sound/Technology/STEPTRONIC/Rear View Camera/Heated Front Seats/Park Distance Control/Xenons/BMW Assist w/Enhanced USB/BMW Apps
Old 01-23-2013, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabadoo25 View Post
A friend rode with me the other day and was really attuned to the start/stop. I honestly don't even notice it anymore.

It was never jerky for me and now it's not even noticeable.
Since I had my ASS re-coded I haven't even thought about it a bit, it's like it was never even there.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 01-23-2013, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioK View Post
Anthracite wood? I selected that with the same color interior and shadowline... looks fantastic!
Yes it is. I kind of took a gamble because I couldn't find that exact color combo on any lot but it turned out great.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shicobico View Post
Any links to that thread? Thanks. Congrats!
I can't figure out how to link to it on my iPad but the title of the thread is Harmon Kardon and it is post 94. I also turned the L7 surround off.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioK View Post
Quote:
Yes it is. I kind of took a gamble because I couldn't find that exact color combo on any lot but it turned out great.

Anthracite rocks because it is black/grey and blends in perfectly with the black dash. So instead of drawing attention to itself like like Aluminum or Walnut it tends to be low key, let the rest of the interior components move to the front.

BJ

Old 01-23-2013, 06:41 PM

Ok one small complaint now that it is 10 degrees here in NJ. I wish the heated steering wheel and seats would heat up a little faster!

Also I am getting a message that the windshield washer fluid is low. Since I haven't used much of it either they didn't fill it up or the sensor isn't working properly. Not sure if the frigid temperatures have something to do with it. I'll pop the hood and check once we get closer to 20 degrees here.

Anyway if those are my biggest complaints then all is well.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328 i xdrive
I'm also in NJ and the Same here with the low windshield fluid, I filled it up and the message went away just to pop back up in 2 days, idk if its the cold I'm going to wait till it warms up again and that will be on Sat.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: BMW335xi
Looks great. I have the same color(MG -the best), sports line with black interiors.
Love this car. Color looks great when nice and clean, mine needs a good wash, probably a hand wash.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:01 AM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
Quote:
Yep, me too. MY CA said he'd never seen an F30's interior configured as such. I think, as you say, it does look great.