Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 01-18-2013, 07:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Audi a4 quattro 6/MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
If we stopped paying attention to him, he'd go away, quite possibly literally and by his own hand.
I can't watch news this am wo seeing coverage of the interview. What a pathetic joke that seemed to be (I didn't watch the interview last night, just saw bits and pieces this am).

Now I get why he was more or less singled out for doping. What a pr1ck!

Hopefully something positive will come out of this spectacle...
Old 01-18-2013, 03:23 PM
I'm smarter than you're.

Mein Auto: 2015 VW GTI Autobahn
I think Lance realizes that he's going to end up bankrupt after all the lawsuits, etc. The interview with Oprah was just damage control. He's trying to change his image in order to earn money. IMHO: he failed miserably.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post
Good points all. A sustained lie that he profited handsomely from.
And so did all these companies who used his name to sell their products. So why are they they'll sue him? Are they going to offer a full refund to their customers now? Are customers who bought a product because it had his name associated with it, suddenly realized the product is of lower quality then they have experienced until now. There is a mountain pile of BS attached to this thing.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:57 PM
Living a dream!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Old 01-18-2013, 06:15 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneArch View Post
"... busting my ass, six hours a day". Just like all the other dopers in the top tier cycling. And he won. So when they all do this, it levels the playing field. I don't get all this whining.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Fiver
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
"... busting my ass, six hours a day". Just like all the other dopers in the top tier cycling. And he won. So when they all do this, it levels the playing field. I don't get all this whining.
My gripe with him is not the doping. It's that he's a vindictive bully who destroyed people's lives and reputations to protect his own reputation and image - which was built on a mountain of lies. And even now I'm not getting any sense or remorse. The guy is cold.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:24 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Still can't figure out the angle. Sell your stuff, push your money off-shore and just go live out your life in the Cayman Islands. Why the need to come clean about something we all knew?
Old 01-19-2013, 03:45 AM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 403K
Quote:
And so did all these companies who used his name to sell their products. So why are they they'll sue him? Are they going to offer a full refund to their customers now? Are customers who bought a product because it had his name associated with it, suddenly realized the product is of lower quality then they have experienced until now. There is a mountain pile of BS attached to this thing.
I'm wondering when the people and newspapers, etc. he sued for libel are going to come after him. Probably a silly question as they likely have lawyers at work on that now.

His body language, facial expressions were just weird in that interview. Strange dude. "Scary" indeed.

Quote:
It's a tough one. Not sure how it will be stopped but it's hard to deny that the successful athlete-dopers are motivating teenage boys to do it and the consequences of that are not good.

Last edited by cmac2012; 01-19-2013 at 03:51 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:41 AM
Ipsa scientia potestas es

Mein Auto: BMW Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Talking View Post
I believe that L'Equipe (major French sports daily newspaper) outed Lance Armstrong as a drug cheat about 6-7 years ago. They also claimed to have sourced Lance Armstrong's urine samples going back to 1999 which contained performance enhancing drugs. Lance and his supporters used to say that it was just the French being typically sour grapes about an American dominating the Tour De France. He remains very unpopular in France and has been booed in the past. It looks like they were on to something.

French cover story from 2005 (translation "the Armstrong Lie")

Edit: more on the story here: http://velonews.competitor.com/2005/...n-99-tour_8740

The French called it 8 years ago
Old 01-21-2013, 08:42 AM
Custom User ***le Removed

Mein Auto: 2012 128iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dreamer View Post
My gripe with him is not the doping. It's that he's a vindictive bully who destroyed people's lives and reputations to protect his own reputation and image - which was built on a mountain of lies. And even now I'm not getting any sense or remorse. The guy is cold.
+1 He is supposedly a real asshole in person. Mean to waiters in restaurants, etc. Typical douchbag.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:21 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
I get that part (although I don't really care much that he doped). But the companies who profited from him. Paying him a million dollars to use his name and made 10 millions in profit as a result. Now they want to sue him, crying a crocodile tears is how I see it. Are they going to distribute the profit back to they buying customers? I don't think so. They are as happy as they can be that he doped, won, and became a marketing tool. So they are the biggest hypocrite here.

The fact is, that the bicycle sport is booming because of him. The cancer organization has a lot of money and is helping a lot of people because of him. And all of this, we can say because he was doping. Because without his doping he would not win, and all of the above would not have happen. So... in the greater scope of things, which is a preferred outcome? I'll take his doping, with the cancer organization and the flourishing industry and sport segment.

Just my POV and perspective here. Sometimes, with a little bad one creates a lot of good. If nobody in this sport was doping, and neither he was, I think he would have still win. His doping leveled the playing field for him.

As for his friends who confessed and then rat him out. I don't care about them either. If THEY want to confess, go right ahead and clean their conscience. Leave his conscience to himself.

Last edited by MatWiz; 01-21-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

You make some good points. I totally agree with you about the sponsors who made fortunes off Lance and now want to gripe.

But I'm an idealistic bastard who was raised by parents who would give away their last dime before taking bending on their honestly, integrity and ethics, so I don't really care how much good he may have done if he did it dishonestly and at the expense of others. He's just a cold, scummy guy . . . . . . IMO.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: A car
did anyone else read that several libraries moved his books to the fiction section? lol

http://observer.com/2013/01/lance-ar...-in-libraries/

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 01-22-2013, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Are those for real?
Old 01-22-2013, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: A car
Quote:
Are those for real?
I think they are - the Observer is a legit newspaper... not like it was reported in the Onion or similar... Mashable had something about it scroll past me this AM as well.

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!