Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Site Feedback / Questions / Suggestions

Site Feedback / Questions / Suggestions
Please post your comments, ideas, or suggestions here.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:51 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Here is some more information about how to best copy youtube video urls:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston_broke View Post
Bobdmac, Good vids.
I'm not sure how you posted those good video links?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdmac View Post
I went to the youtube video, then, on my Mac touchpad, I did a two-finger click (equivalent of right-click in Windows), which brought up the contextual menu, and then I chose "copy video URL."

Then, in the Bimmerfest "Reply to thread" box, I clicked the "link" icon and brought up the little link insertion box and inserted the video URL that I had copied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_n00b13 View Post
Just copy the link in the youtube address bar and then paste into the Bimmerfest post. Worksforme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdmac View Post
Hah! I'll be darned, that works too. Even better.
Here are screenshots of the three different methods of copying a Youtube video URL into a Bimmerfest post:
1. Copy the address bar URL
2. Right click context menu copy URL
3. Share button URL

SCREENSHOT of the Youtube Address-bar URL method:

SCREENSHOT of the Youtube right-click copy URL method:

SCREENSHOT of the first step of the Youtube Share URL method:

SCREENSHOT of the second step of the Youtube Share URL method:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	copy_address_bar.png
Views:	188
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	296278   Click image for larger version

Name:	right_click_copy_url.png
Views:	201
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	296279   Click image for larger version

Name:	share_embed_video_url_1.png
Views:	193
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	296280   Click image for larger version

Name:	share_embed_video_url_2.png
Views:	200
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	296281  

Last edited by bluebee; 10-08-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:03 AM

To make it easier for others to understand, here is a single annotated screenshot showing all three ways copy a Youtube video URL into a Bimmerfest post.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	how_to_copy_youtube_url.png
Views:	544
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	296282  

Last edited by bluebee; 10-08-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:04 PM

Someone asked today how to both post a picture and include it in the body of the message ... so I figured I'd elaborate a bit more on how.
- E39 (1997 - 2003) > Headlight assembly clips are above front bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by energizedmortal View Post
how can I attach pictures directly into the body of my message instead of them appearing down below?
It's three steps (two of which you already know about):
0. Shrink the picture to 640x480 pixels (Irfanview does a good job of this on Windows) as it's considered discourteous to post pictures far larger than about 800x600 (which is sometimes needed for clarity on text screenshots).

1. Press "Manage Attachments", then "Browse", and then "Upload" to find and attach the desired picture (this part everyone knows by now).

2. The moment after your picture is uploaded, you'll notice the web page shows the name of the picture, now attached. It shows this name in two different places (a) the first is on the "Manage Attachments" pop up window itself; and (b) the second is in the "Attach Files" section of your editing web page.

Right click on either of those confirmations, and you will then have the option to "Copy Link Location".

3. Place your cursor in your editing message where you want the picture to go, and then simply press the yellow square mountain-and-moon "Insert Image" button (as shown earlier in this thread) ... and just paste in the URL to your attachment.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot.png
Views:	304
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	301597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-1.png
Views:	306
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	301598  
Old 12-09-2011, 09:57 PM

Someone was having problems converting video files of the internals of the gas filler neck so I figured I'd add a reference to Windows freeware "Super":
- http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

Super freeware can convert almost any video/audio format to almost any other video/audio format.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	super_video_converter.gif
Views:	1365
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	304274  
Old 12-09-2011, 10:04 PM

To get the full value out of Super, you may need the Windows freeware K-Lite Codec pack (I'd install the freeware 'full' version).
- http://www.free-codecs.com/k_lite_co...k_download.htm

Quote:
K-Lite Codec Pack Basic contains only the most essential things. It contains everything you need to be able to play the most popular and widespread formats. It is small enough to fit on a single floppy. Also great for including on your movie CDs.
K-Lite Codec Pack Standard contains everything you need to play all the commonly used formats. This package should be enough for the average user.
K-Lite Codec Pack Full contains even more codecs. It also has encoding support for the various formats. This package is for power users and people who do their own encodings.

Features of K-Lite Codec Pack 8.0 FULL version:

Player:
- MediaPlayerClassic Homecinema [version 1.5.3.3752]
ffdshow:
- ffdshow [revision 1.1.4070]
- ffdshow VFW interface
DirectShow video decoding filters:
- LAV Video [version 0.40 build 2011-11-21]
- XviD [version 1.3.0 build 2010-12-07]
- On2 VP7 [version 7.0.10.0]
- DScaler5 MPEG-2 decoder [version 0.0.6.0 IVTC mod]
DirectShow audio decoding filters:
- ffdshow [version 1.1.4070]
- LAV Audio [version 0.40 build 2011-11-21]
- MONOGRAM AAC decoder [version 0.9.6.0]
DirectShow audio parsers:
- madFLAC [version 1.10]
- CoreWavPack [version 1.1.1]
- MusePack (MONOGRAM) [version 0.9.2.0 | 0.4.0.0]
- Monkey's Audio (DCoder) [version 1.0]
- OptimFROG (RadLight) [version 1.0.0.1]
- AMR (MONOGRAM) [version 1.0.1.0]
- DC-Bass Source [version 1.3.0]
- AC3File [version 0.7b]
DirectShow source filters:
- HaaliMediaSplitter [version 1.11.96.14]
- LAV Splitter [version 0.40 build 2011-11-21]
- AVI splitter (Gabest) [version 1.5.3.3705]
- CDXA Reader (Gabest) [version 1.5.3.3705]
DirectShow subtitle filter:
- DirectVobSub (a.k.a. VSFilter) [version 2.40.3705.0]
Other filters:
- Haali Video Renderer [version 1.11.96.14]
VFW video codecs:
- ffdshow VFW interface
- XviD [version 1.3.2]
- On2 VP7 [version 7.0.10.0]
- Lagarith [version 1.3.26]
ACM audio codecs:
- MP3 (LAME) [version 3.98.2]
- AC3ACM [version 1.9]
Tools:
- Codec Tweak Tool [version 5.1.0]
- Win7DSFilterTweaker [version 4.6]
- MediaInfo Lite [version 0.7.51]
- VobSubStrip [version 0.11]
- GraphStudio [version 0.3.2.0]
- Haali Muxer
- Bitrate Calculator

Last edited by bluebee; 12-09-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:42 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
Not bar none. Bar Minan!

(Pronounced "Bar Me-none". Never mine what it is. You'd need to know Arameic... Arameic slang... a very funny language actually....

Well, it translates to something like "we are only mortals"... LOL .But there is no possible direct translation. Bar = "owner or have the rights of". Minan = Dead.) LOL

That's a great information Donna. Thanks! I am going to download this thing.

mw
Thanks for the info on Aremaic. Wish I could read it in the original.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:49 PM

This suggestion to use PNG format for close up macro photos is useful for others to benefit from:

Quote:
Originally Posted by geobrick View Post
Bluebee, For the photos, I'm using a canon S-95 (a high-end point and shoot elph). I set it to the highest resolution and used macro mode. I crop it as needed, add text and arrows and reduce the size to 650 pixels wide (only if it's still required after cropping). The other thing I've learned recently is to use the png format instead of jpg for the final saved image because jpg is a lossy format and since the original photo is already in the lossy jpg format (though the S95 has a raw option that would probably be better to use for this work). So when you open a jpg file which already has jpg artifacts (though hard to notice), re-saving the edited jpg as a another jpg creates a second level of lost detail. I learned that png compression is not a lossy format and if you use png 8 vs. 24, the file sizes are comparable with jpg. Png 8 has a smaller color pallet than png 24 but both retain more image detail than jpg. I am not a photographer or photo editor (just an engineer who wants to know everything about everything - except the gossip, called news, on TV).
Old 12-10-2012, 01:46 PM

RDL asked over here how best to shrink PDFs (total bytes):
-> E39 (1997 - 2003) > MS42 PDF for thread

The way I shrink a PDF on Windows is to use Adobe Acrobat (the writer, not the reader), which has an option to shrink the file size (with lots of sub options such as JPEG compression).

You can also split a PDF into multiple PDFs.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 12-13-2012, 04:58 PM

A user just asked how to post the big pictures (instead of the thumbnails).
Quote:
Originally Posted by pockomoth View Post
How do you guys put the big pics on here? On this end it comes out as text or tiny pics.
Roscoe
As shown above, they can use Manage Attachments to upload the photo, and then copy the URL to use the "Insert Image" button above - but they can also simply put [ IMG ] and [ / IMG ] tags around the link (without the spaces I just put there so they wouldn't be interpreted).

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	quote.png
Views:	87
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	353140  
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
You can also split a PDF into multiple PDFs.
There was a good DIY today over here that I printed to a 33-page PDF using CUPS-PDF on Linux, but which was a dozen megabytes, so, I split it in half on Linux using this method over here:

Code:
$ pdftk bmw.pdf cat 1-18 output 1-18.pdf
$ pdftk bmw.pdf cat 18-end output 18-33.pdf
$ mv 1-18.pdf bmw_e39_smartphone_radio_aux_installation_diy_p1-18.pdf
$ mv 18-33.pdf bmw_e39_smartphone_radio_aux_installation_diy_p18-33.pdf
Old 09-09-2013, 08:23 PM

For the record, very nice annotations were posted today over here:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Another Transmission Limp Mode Problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrologRocks View Post
I used SnagIt version 11 by Techsmith (http://www.techsmith.com/). Couldn't live without it! I previously used the free built-in Windows tool called "Snipping Tool" (Start>All Programs>Accessories>Snipping Tool) but after trying SnagIt, I will never go back (unless I am on a machine without my favorite editor).
Old 07-27-2014, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: 02' 525i
I hand code HTML for a living, and I still find it too cumbersome on an Ipad or tablet to type out descriptive anchor text for links. The admins should be encouraged to look for additional sets of of functions or frameworks moreover in order to solve these type of issues for users with computer skills at or below average level. Additionally, efforts from users such as @bluebee--while honorable and immensely helpful--may be more permanently accessible if this forum morphs some of itself into a sort of wiki, something I'd be interested in helping with. I am reluctant to add anything to most all posts with my own pics or our stuff in most cases because of the duplication it would cause. And last, let me say that the cross referencing links are much appreciated. It would be too much to ask those users that may include additional links to go one step further by writing your anchor text descriptively instead of numbering them. But a newer interface or key function set such as google email contains--on which you merely select the text you wish to link to--could speed up contribution or at least increase available post quality. As I was saying, I don't wish to code anchor text in either.
And all comments are in good spirit and gratitude, my brother! I have a ton of debt to the forum myself, and hold little to no cred, but perhaps you'd be able to voice the need for something like this to to the admin?

Last edited by allenwilson33; 08-10-2014 at 08:07 PM. Reason: misspelled a user's name
Old 08-10-2014, 08:18 AM

This dialog from another thread, is useful here:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Valve Cover bolt hole break
Quote:
Originally Posted by EssoS View Post
started composing a reply with some pics and they keep previewing upside down. so i edit them 180 and save. same. upside down. ??!! what the duck? is there a forum rotate tool? is there a how to post, post, that i'm missing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EssoS View Post
I also discovered my iphone embeds exif rotation tags that were overriding what I was doing. A little mac app called Graphic Converter was the answer by stripping all the resource tags.
I see you're on the MAC. I will add that information to the aforementioned thread.

On Linux, I use "jhead" or "exiftran" or "exiftool" or "Imagick's convert -strip" to deal with select EXIF tags.

On Windows, I mostly let Irfanview deal with the EXIF headers.

Last edited by bluebee; 08-10-2014 at 08:19 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:32 PM

Recently I had to shrink a bunch of PDFs on Linux, for posting, and I found this Ghostscript command to be fantastic:

$ gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dPDFSETTINGS=/screen -dNOPAUSE -dQUIET -dBATCH -sOutputFile=output.pdf input.pdf
or ...
$ gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dPDFSETTINGS=/screen -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sOutputFile=output.pdf input.pdf

Where:
  • /screen selects low-resolution output, and the lowest file size.
  • /ebook selects medium-resolution output, with a medium file size.
  • /printer and /prepress are both high-resolution, with a large file size.
Here are some file size results for this thread today:
  1. 14,894,587 Aug 13 18:10 bmw_e39_m62-tu_vanos_diy.pdf
    • 1,105,251 Aug 13 18:13 bmw_e39_m62-tu_vanos_diy_shrunk.pdf
  2. 29,814,777 Aug 13 18:15 bmw_e39_M54_double_vanos_diy.pdf
    • 2,264,830 Aug 13 18:20 bmw_e39_M54_double_vanos_diy_shrunk.pdf
I also tried splitting the file, but that's inconvenient for everyone:
$ pdftk old.pdf cat 1-9 26-end output new.pdf

If the PDF is a single page, it can be converted to any format easily:
$ convert input.pdf output.jpg
$ convert -density 300 file.pdf file.png

Note: If the input.pdf is multiple pages, you get multiple JPG output files just like when, in Adobe Acrobat Pro, on Windows, you "Save as PDF" or "Export to PDF".

See also:
Quote:
sudo apt-get install pdftk

To remove pages 10 to 25 of a PDF file:
pdftk old.pdf cat 1-9 26-end output new.pdf

To convert a multi-page PDF to multiple PNG files with reasonable quality:
convert -density 300 file.pdf file.png

To convert multiple images into an animated gif:
convert -delay 20 -loop 0 images_*.png animated_gif.gif

But, since the sort will be all wrong, use this:
convert -delay 20 -loop 0 `ls pictures*.gif|sort --version-sort -f` animated_gif.gif

To resize a PDF to 8.5x11 inches without pdftk:
// 300dpi x 8.5 -2550, 300dpi x 11 -3300
convert original.pdf -density "300" -resize "2550x3300" resized.pdf

To rotate a PDF:
pdftk nonrotated.pdf cat 1-endW output rotated.pdf

To size a PDF to a desired size (this example is A4)
gs -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -sOutputFile=out.pdf in.ps

To resize a PDF to 8.5x11 inches without pdftk:
gs \
-sDEVICE=pdfwrite \
-dPDFFitPage \
-r300x300 \
-g2550x3300 \
/path/to/original.pdf \
-o /path/to/resized.pdf
Old 08-21-2014, 04:57 PM

I've pretty much moved off of Windows onto Linux lately (because WinXP is no longer supported, and Linux is, on my old laptop), so I should mention that I almost exclusively use "Kolourpaint" as my editing program lately.

To install (Debian-based Linux):
$ sudo apt-get install kolourpaint

Linux Kolourpaint is almost as good as Windows' Paint.NET, and it's as easy to use as MS Paint was.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kolourpaint.png
Views:	5
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	459875  
Old 08-21-2014, 05:08 PM

Today, this was added to the knowledge base ...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > why cant I copy my pictures url?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
...my only additional hint is that we generally try to shrink the photos to no wider than 800 pixels across.

There are many ways to shrink, but on Linux, I simply use ImageMagick commands:
$ convert -resize 800x600 -quality 85 -strip input.jpg output.jpg

The exif "-strip" is optional, as is the JPG quality factor of 85%.

Here's an example where I saved two of your pictures, then used ImageMagick "convert" to slap them together, and then used "convert" again, to shrink them.

$ convert pic1.jpg pic2.jpg -append pic.jpg
$ convert -resize 800x600 -quality 85 -strip pic.jpg pic-small.jpg

Another way to shrink pictures to 800 pixels wide on Linux is to install sudo apt-get install nautilus-image-converter:$ sudo apt-get install nautilus-image-converter