Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:50 AM
Always laughing loudest

Mein Auto: '11 335i M-sport...by day
Griot's Speed Shine -- new guy mistake

I have a black 335. Love it when it gets a good wash. However, I've used Griot's Speed Shine twice as a touch-up, and both times had bad results. Both attempts left a milky "stain" on the finish that was two to three times as time consuming to fix as apply.

I called Griot's to ask what I was doing wrong. The really helpful sales guy asked how often I was shaking the bottle before use. "Uh, never." Grot's claims the fluid can separate and apparently have inconsistent...consistency.

I don't recall the shaking part in the book or DVD but I've forgotten much more over the years.

If you're using this stuff, shake the bottle a few times before each spray. I have confidence in the product, and now have more confidence in the meatball applying it.

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious.
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2013, 08:56 AM
Always laughing loudest

I'm now turning this from a public service announcement into a request for help. I re-attacked the car with speed shine and gave it plenty 'o shaking. The milky residue remained an issue.

I'm using a micro-fiber super soft cloth to wipe away the spray after application but I've noticed the towels do little to absorb anything. They mainly push the fluid along.

Is anyone else out there using Speed Shine with positive results? Even better, is anyone using it on a black car without issues? If so, please share your wisdom so I can get this right.

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 imola red 740i Sport
Used it for years, great product. Couple things come to mind. Using to much and incomplete removal (the obvious one). Use a fine even mist. Towels folded in fours giving you 16 sides to use. It normally takes two light wipes with a wet side and a dry. I use at least two microfibers, one or each, per car. How do you wash your microfibers? There should be NO fabric softener in the wash nor dry cycle. It inhibits water absorption.

Also, quick detail usually don't like cold temps and they are NOT intended to be any form of replacement for a wash. The car should be basically clean otherwise use another product. I do carry some with me at all times. Mainly for bird bombs.

Last edited by rdorman; 01-22-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: E46 E89 F30(Msport)
I usually buy that by the gallon for use on my grey E46 and the wife's red F30. Never had a problem with it, but I use Uber MF towels too. Come to think of it I don't really use it in the dead of winter.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:05 AM
Always laughing loudest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdorman View Post
Used it for years, great product. Couple things come to mind. Using to much and incomplete removal (the obvious one). Use a fine even mist. Towels folded in fours giving you 16 sides to use. It normally takes two light wipes with a wet side and a dry. I use at least two microfibers, one or each, per car. How do you wash your microfibers? There should be NO fabric softener in the wash nor dry cycle. It inhibits water absorption.

Also, quick detail usually don't like cold temps and they are NOT intended to be any form of replacement for a wash. The car should be basically clean otherwise use another product. I do carry some with me at all times. Mainly for bird bombs.
I suspect the cold is more of a factor than anything else, although I did have similar results in warmer weather (though, that's when I also failed to shake the bottle -- I could be replacing one failure with another).

I wash the towels using the Griot's brand detergent, as instructed, with no clothes or socks or the like with it. However -- I am using the dryer that came with the house and it has an internal, dedicated fabric softener device inside the dryer wheel. I thought it was dead, but it could have enough residual chemical that it is affecting my towels. Otherwise, I don't add softener to the load.

Any reason not to wipe down the speed shine with a dedicated chamois? I use "The Absorber" towels and like them. I have a spare that I could dedicate strictly to Speed Shine. Bad plan?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 imola red 740i Sport
Go with a THICK microfiber. Most likeley have to order some. One use, time for wash. I would not use a chamois.

Oh, use both towels for a single speed shine wipe down. Fold in quarters and use all sixteen sides. One towel for the initial wiped own and the other for the final. If the towel balls up on you folded in quarter with an open palm then you are using too much pressure and or product.

Last edited by rdorman; 01-22-2013 at 10:16 AM.