Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i M-Sport
After washing my F30 a couple times now and trying to get the bad boy dry...

...I'm convinced that BMW secretly wedged one of these behind each side mirror:

Seriously, it's
  • Wipe
  • Open/shut door
  • Wipe
  • Open/shut door
  • Wipe
  • Open/shut door
  • Repeat x112
  • Come back in ten minutes
  • Wipe
  • Open/shut door
  • Wipe
  • Come back in an hour
  • Streaks under the mirror -- arrrrgh

LOL?
Ads by Google
Old 01-19-2013, 01:27 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
i just fold and unfold the mirrors a few times to get the water out
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 01-19-2013, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: F30 335i Superman M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
i just fold and unfold the mirrors a few times to get the water out
Yup. Just did this once, and a bunch of water poured right out.

2013 BMW 335i Sedan Estoril Blue II M Sport 2PF|6MT|ZDH|ZTP|Coral Red Leather|688|508
2007 Nissan Sentra SE-R
Old 01-19-2013, 03:53 PM

Mein Auto: ~
The car has many annoying, water holding nooks and crannies. A leaf blower or similar is very useful.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:58 PM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: 2013 328i, 2003 325i
I just take mine for a quick spin around the neighborhood, stepping on the brakes a few times to dry out the discs. Also pull up on the handbrake while starting out to dry that as well. The quick drive blows out water residue which I then simply wipe off with a microfiber.
'89 325i Bronz, AT(retired)
'02 325i StlGrey, AT, PP, SP
'13 328i AlpWhite, AT8, Xenon, HK
Old 01-19-2013, 07:19 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328i
Same with the weep holes in the bottom of the doors. Water always seems to run from them and down the side below the doors no matter how many times I wipe it down.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:13 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown View Post
I just take mine for a quick spin around the neighborhood, stepping on the brakes a few times to dry out the discs. Also pull up on the handbrake while starting out to dry that as well.
All that does is shorten the life of your parking brake shoes. The parking brake assemblies are inside the hats of the rear rotors. Unless your wash routine includes rinsing the wheels by driving through a shallow creek, you're not getting a drop of water in there when you wash it.

With regard to water trickles the E90 is just as bad...wing mirrors and the rear license plate are the worst spots. All the options suggested here work well--if you don't do something to force the water out, you didn't get it all!

N47° 35' 30.13" E11° 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 01-19-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
I now wash my car with the mirrors folded for just this reason. If I don't and go on a drying run, almost the whole side of the car gets rained on!
Old 01-19-2013, 09:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i E93
I would recommend a blower for the crevices. Griot's Garage has a nice little vacuum/blower unit with just the right attachment for the nooks and crannies on my E93.

I would NOT recommend a ride around the neighborhood to dry things off as this will pick up dust and dirt which will then create swirl marks when you come back with your drying towel.

Just my 2˘

2012 335i E93 Le Mans Blue | Saddle Brown | M Sport | Convenience | Cold Weather | Premium | PCD 7/19/12
Old 01-20-2013, 02:52 AM
Blackdog316

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Agree with those who use air blower. You can use the electric kind for putting air in tires, basketballs, etc.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:48 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Don't give your manservant the weekend off, problem solved.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 01-20-2013, 09:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Thumbs up

Quote:
I just take mine for a quick spin around the neighborhood, stepping on the brakes a few times to dry out the discs. Also pull up on the handbrake while starting out to dry that as well. The quick drive blows out water residue which I then simply wipe off with a microfiber.
+ 1 Exactly. Just to many nooks and crannies to hold water without getting the water out one way or another. On page 64 it tells you to pull up on the parking brake to prevent corrosion Some just don't know what there talking about.
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 01-20-2013, 09:40 AM
just copacetic!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
+ 1 Exactly. Just to many nooks and crannies to hold water without getting the water out one way or another. On page 64 it tells you to pull up on the parking brake to prevent corrosion Some just don't know what there talking about.
cheers
vern
Thanks, Vern. I don't pull up hard on the hand brake for very long, just while backing up and driving off for a couple of seconds. I've found on my E46 that if I don't dry the hand brakes that they will stick from corrosion by the next morning. BTW, the advise on drying the brakes to prevent corrosion is on page 212 on my manual.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:49 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks, Vern. I don't pull up hard on the hand brake for very long, just while backing up and driving off for a couple of seconds. I've found on my E46 that if I don't dry the hand brakes that they will stick from corrosion by the next morning. BTW, the advise on drying the brakes to prevent corrosion is on page 212 on my manual.
212 is entertainment in my manual.I've been doing the parking brake thing like you ever since driving BMW's many years ago without any problems.
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 01-20-2013, 10:11 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
On page 64 it tells you to pull up on the parking brake to prevent corrosion Some just don't know what there talking about.
Yes but what it leaves unstated is that doing so is unnecessary if one uses the parking brake regularly--namely, every time one parks the car, as one should. It is also unnecessary after washing, because the design of the parking brake and the rotor splash shield is such that water intrusion from a normal wash is negligible to non-existent. Also, dragging the parking brake for a few seconds doesn't dry anything but the friction surface of the shoes, which likely had not a drop of water on them in the first place. It won't do any harm but it really isn't necessary.

The suggestion in the manual is aimed at people who have automatics and rarely, if ever, set the parking brake. In that case, corrosion on the shoes, backing plate, pivots and/or cables can cause binding and partial engagement. The heat and torque generated by applying the parking brake lightly while driving helps prevent that situation from developing. So does using the parking brake often and not neglecting it (i.e., clean, adjust, lubricate) when servicing the rear brakes. If the brakes stick to any significant degree the morning after a wash, they are in need of maintenance.

Those of us who have completed more successful brake jobs than we can remember actually do have some idea what we're talking about.

N47° 35' 30.13" E11° 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 01-20-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
Yes but what it leaves unstated is that doing so is unnecessary if one uses the parking brake regularly--namely, every time one parks the car, as one should. It is also unnecessary after washing, because the design of the parking brake and the rotor splash shield is such that water intrusion from a normal wash is negligible to non-existent. Also, dragging the parking brake for a few seconds doesn't dry anything but the friction surface of the shoes, which likely had not a drop of water on them in the first place. It won't do any harm but it really isn't necessary.

The suggestion in the manual is aimed at people who have automatics and rarely, if ever, set the parking brake. In that case, corrosion on the shoes, backing plate, pivots and/or cables can cause binding and partial engagement. The heat and torque generated by applying the parking brake lightly while driving helps prevent that situation from developing. So does using the parking brake often and not neglecting it (i.e., clean, adjust, lubricate) when servicing the rear brakes. If the brakes stick to any significant degree the morning after a wash, they are in need of maintenance.

Those of us who have completed more successful brake jobs than we can remember actually do have some idea what we're talking about.
Thanks for the clarification. Only doing a limited amount of brake jobs I can only go by what the experts,engineers, put in the owners manuals for us to go by to stop problems. I'm sure you understand that being that you have such vast experience.
cheers
vern
Old 01-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Omnia in modum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
Hey Zeichen,

I kind of experience a problem with this everytime I wash the car, but then, I probably don't do "normal" car washes. I always wash my wheels first. By the time I've finished doing the car, the interior, the top seals (1-2 hours later and like today 4 hours later), when I get to the final dry of my wheels, the discs have a fine layer of oxidation (rust) on them. If I just run the car back into the garage and set the parking brake, in the morning, when I get ready to leave for work and release the parking brake, there is a huge "clunk" and a bit of a jolt before the car starts moving backward. I've always taken this to mean that the parking brake has "stuck" because it's wet. Explanations? Remedies?

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 01-21-2013, 05:00 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Hey Zeichen,

I kind of experience a problem with this everytime I wash the car, but then, I probably don't do "normal" car washes. I always wash my wheels first. By the time I've finished doing the car, the interior, the top seals (1-2 hours later and like today 4 hours later), when I get to the final dry of my wheels, the discs have a fine layer of oxidation (rust) on them. If I just run the car back into the garage and set the parking brake, in the morning, when I get ready to leave for work and release the parking brake, there is a huge "clunk" and a bit of a jolt before the car starts moving backward. I've always taken this to mean that the parking brake has "stuck" because it's wet. Explanations? Remedies?
Go by what the"manual" suggests. Page "64-- 212". Good luck
cheers
vern

Last edited by vern; 01-21-2013 at 05:03 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:58 PM
just copacetic!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Hey Zeichen,

This is the same thing that happens with my E46. After washing, I've found that pulling up on the parking brake gently (for a couple of seconds) while initially driving off helps to remove water on the brakes. Also, not engaging the parking brake overnight helps. Not sure if this has anything to do with corrosion of the parking brake - maybe Zeichen could clarify. Doesn't seem to be a problem, however, with my F30.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:40 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
$30 electric leaf blower. Problem solved

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video: https://vimeo.com/60051914
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 01-22-2013, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M sport
Don't you guys have a small compressor at home?

I have a small one for adjusting tire pressure on cars and bikes, blowing up inflatable kid toys and an air gun attachment for guess what, blowing water out of crevices.

Sears sells a small compressor for like $40.