Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530i 5spd Manual
Rear headrest removal tip

Ok guys, after trying to figure out how to remove them, the YouTube videos all were saying to remove the seats and this that and the other. I found a much quicker, cleaner way to get them out.

1- open trunk
2- Lay in trunk looking up
3- You will see the two headrest post bottoms for each headrest (except the middle).
4- Use a carpenter hammer and a 1/4" ratchet extention to tap them upward. (Be careful, don't drop the hammer on your face). Mine only took about two light taps per post. Came right out.

When I tried to pull them up from inside, nada. Good luck with that method. I cracked one of the speaker grilles doing this method. Figured I'd post this so I'd save some people the aggrivation.

Garage queen: '07 335i Sedan, base pkg, 6spd Manual, Procede 3 V5 w/NLS, staggered 18" 313's w/Conti DWS's, OS Giken TCD LSD, VAC Street Diff Cover, Akebono Euro Pads, CDV Removed, Black BMW Grilles, Interior & Exterior white LED lighting, LUX Angel Eyes, Debadged, Llumar ATR Tint.
Ads by Google
Old 01-22-2013, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Hi,

Came across this post since I am stumped on removing my headrests. I need to remove them to accommodate car seats. For a front-facing full-size seat, you have to extend the rear headrest to the maximum height to clear the seat. At the max height, this creates quite a visible blockage out the rear window.

I would like to try this method described above. Should I extend the head rests to their max height before trying to tap them out from the trunk?
Old 01-22-2013, 01:04 PM

Hi,

Came across this post since I am stumped on removing my headrests. I need to remove them to accommodate car seats. For a front-facing full-size seat, you have to extend the rear headrest to the maximum height to clear the seat. At the max height, this creates quite a visible blockage out the rear window.

I would like to try this method described above. Should I extend the head rests to their max height before trying to tap them out from the trunk?
Old 01-22-2013, 01:15 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Lift them to full height, slide a hand under them, and yank up. A good tug or whack and they pop right up. I've taken them off numerous E38 & E39 like that. No special tricks at all.

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 01-22-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
Lift them to full height, slide a hand under them, and yank up. A good tug or whack and they pop right up. I've taken them off numerous E38 & E39 like that. No special tricks at all.

I already tried that... have you tried on an F30?
Old 01-22-2013, 01:41 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
This is the E39 section, if you're dealing with an F30 you need to ask there, the instructions may be the same or may be wildly different.

When you search the forums, use the box on the right of the search page to limit your search only to applicable subforums or the results you get will not be useful to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 01-22-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
This is the E39 section, if you're dealing with an F30 you need to ask there, the instructions may be the same or may be wildly different.

When you search the forums, use the box on the right of the search page to limit your search only to applicable subforums or the results you get will not be useful to you.

Oops sorry. I am usually good at the subforums, but came across this one via a google search. I'll give it a shot in the F30 section.