Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Rear head rest removal?

Has anyone successfully removed the rear head rests? I pulled them all the way up, but they won't budge. And they don't have that tab near the base/post.

I need to remove them to accommodate car seats. For a front-facing full-size seat, you have to extend the rear headrest to the maximum height to clear the seat. At the max height, this creates quite a visible blockage out the rear window.
Ads by Google
Old 01-22-2013, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto: Toyota Sequoia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Has anyone successfully removed the rear head rests? I pulled them all the way up, but they won't budge. And they don't have that tab near the base/post.

I need to remove them to accommodate car seats. For a front-facing full-size seat, you have to extend the rear headrest to the maximum height to clear the seat. At the max height, this creates quite a visible blockage out the rear window.
I just pulled mine for our car seat. I had to fold down the seat to do it though. The headrest fully extended hit the roof. Came out no problem. That said, I have not tried the middle one.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stom_m3 View Post
I just pulled mine for our car seat. I had to fold down the seat to do it though. The headrest fully extended hit the roof. Came out no problem. That said, I have not tried the middle one.
Crap. I already installed the car seats. So, you just fold down the seats, and they'll pull straight out?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:19 PM

Mein Auto: Toyota Sequoia
Quote:
Crap. I already installed the car seats. So, you just fold down the seats, and they'll pull straight out?
Did in mine. I have not tried the middle one though...
Old 01-22-2013, 08:01 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i Sport
There's a section in the owners manual on this. I can't remember where and don't have access to it at the moment, though.

2013 335i Sport Line PPK | Alpine White/Coral Red | ZDH | ZCW | 2TB | ZTP | ZPP | 508+3AG | 5AC
Old 01-22-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLC View Post
There's a section in the owners manual on this. I can't remember where and don't have access to it at the moment, though.
You are correct! The manual indicates to raise the head rest as far as possible, the press in the tab near the stalk. This only works if the seats are folded down! Otherwise there is not enough clearance for the head rest to raise that high.

So, after an hour of sweating, I pulled out both car seats, folded down the rear seats and was able to remove all three head rests and re-install said car seats.

Moral of this thread: remove head rest before you start on your car seat project
Old 01-23-2013, 06:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
You are correct! The manual indicates to raise the head rest as far as possible, the press in the tab near the stalk. This only works if the seats are folded down! Otherwise there is not enough clearance for the head rest to raise that high.

So, after an hour of sweating, I pulled out both car seats, folded down the rear seats and was able to remove all three head rests and re-install said car seats.

Moral of this thread: remove head rest before you start on your car seat project
I would say the "moral" of the story is to read the manual.
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 01-23-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
I would say the "moral" of the story is to read the manual.
cheers
vern
Uh, no.

In the manual it says nothing about having to fold down the rear seats. Only to raise them and press the side button. When you do this, there is not enough clearance to pull them all the way out, and you can't tell just how much more clearance you need from the roof.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:46 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to jfox335i
Mein Auto: 2010 E90 M3
Quote:
Uh, no.

In the manual it says nothing about having to fold down the rear seats. Only to raise them and press the side button. When you do this, there is not enough clearance to pull them all the way out, and you can't tell just how much more clearance you need from the roof.

Hmmmm. I took off the middle head rest without moving the seat at all. I found it obstructs the view out the rear window. Much better now that it's off.

BMWCCA #471315
Old 01-23-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfox335i View Post
Hmmmm. I took off the middle head rest without moving the seat at all. I found it obstructs the view out the rear window. Much better now that it's off.
Center rear headrest is different/smaller, and of course comes out regardless of seat position.

It's the L/R ones that give you trouble, and the ones you'll need to remove to install a forward-facing car seat.

Last edited by SamS; 01-23-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfox335i View Post
I need to take out the middle so I can use my E46 seat cover. 2002 E46 only had 2 head rests.