Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-22-2013, 01:54 PM
SamS's Avatar
SamS SamS is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 792
Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Rear head rest removal?

Has anyone successfully removed the rear head rests? I pulled them all the way up, but they won't budge. And they don't have that tab near the base/post.

I need to remove them to accommodate car seats. For a front-facing full-size seat, you have to extend the rear headrest to the maximum height to clear the seat. At the max height, this creates quite a visible blockage out the rear window.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 01-22-2013, 04:04 PM
stom_m3 stom_m3 is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: Toyota Sequoia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Has anyone successfully removed the rear head rests? I pulled them all the way up, but they won't budge. And they don't have that tab near the base/post.

I need to remove them to accommodate car seats. For a front-facing full-size seat, you have to extend the rear headrest to the maximum height to clear the seat. At the max height, this creates quite a visible blockage out the rear window.
I just pulled mine for our car seat. I had to fold down the seat to do it though. The headrest fully extended hit the roof. Came out no problem. That said, I have not tried the middle one.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-22-2013, 04:35 PM
SamS's Avatar
SamS SamS is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 792
Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stom_m3 View Post
I just pulled mine for our car seat. I had to fold down the seat to do it though. The headrest fully extended hit the roof. Came out no problem. That said, I have not tried the middle one.
Crap. I already installed the car seats. So, you just fold down the seats, and they'll pull straight out?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-22-2013, 07:19 PM
stom_m3 stom_m3 is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: Toyota Sequoia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Crap. I already installed the car seats. So, you just fold down the seats, and they'll pull straight out?
Did in mine. I have not tried the middle one though...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-22-2013, 08:01 PM
KLC KLC is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SE PA
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 532
Mein Auto: '13 335i Sport
There's a section in the owners manual on this. I can't remember where and don't have access to it at the moment, though.
__________________
ED - 5/13/2013
PCD - 7/17/2013


2013 335i Sport Line PPK | Alpine White/Coral Red | ZDH | ZCW | 2TB | ZTP | ZPP | 508+3AG | 5AC
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-22-2013, 09:06 PM
SamS's Avatar
SamS SamS is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 792
Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLC View Post
There's a section in the owners manual on this. I can't remember where and don't have access to it at the moment, though.
You are correct! The manual indicates to raise the head rest as far as possible, the press in the tab near the stalk. This only works if the seats are folded down! Otherwise there is not enough clearance for the head rest to raise that high.

So, after an hour of sweating, I pulled out both car seats, folded down the rear seats and was able to remove all three head rests and re-install said car seats.

Moral of this thread: remove head rest before you start on your car seat project
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-23-2013, 06:33 AM
vern vern is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 4,718
Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
You are correct! The manual indicates to raise the head rest as far as possible, the press in the tab near the stalk. This only works if the seats are folded down! Otherwise there is not enough clearance for the head rest to raise that high.

So, after an hour of sweating, I pulled out both car seats, folded down the rear seats and was able to remove all three head rests and re-install said car seats.

Moral of this thread: remove head rest before you start on your car seat project
I would say the "moral" of the story is to read the manual.
cheers
vern
__________________
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-23-2013, 06:43 AM
SamS's Avatar
SamS SamS is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 792
Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
I would say the "moral" of the story is to read the manual.
cheers
vern
Uh, no.

In the manual it says nothing about having to fold down the rear seats. Only to raise them and press the side button. When you do this, there is not enough clearance to pull them all the way out, and you can't tell just how much more clearance you need from the roof.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-23-2013, 12:46 PM
jfox335i jfox335i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 259
Send a message via Skype™ to jfox335i
Mein Auto: 2010 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Uh, no.

In the manual it says nothing about having to fold down the rear seats. Only to raise them and press the side button. When you do this, there is not enough clearance to pull them all the way out, and you can't tell just how much more clearance you need from the roof.

Hmmmm. I took off the middle head rest without moving the seat at all. I found it obstructs the view out the rear window. Much better now that it's off.
__________________
Current: 2010 E90 M3 - JBM PP,TP,ES,CW,Beast
Retired: 2012 F30 335i Sedan - Sport Line

BMWCCA #471315
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-23-2013, 12:49 PM
SamS's Avatar
SamS SamS is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 792
Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfox335i View Post
Hmmmm. I took off the middle head rest without moving the seat at all. I found it obstructs the view out the rear window. Much better now that it's off.
Center rear headrest is different/smaller, and of course comes out regardless of seat position.

It's the L/R ones that give you trouble, and the ones you'll need to remove to install a forward-facing car seat.

Last edited by SamS; 01-23-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-23-2013, 04:30 PM
EddieB's Avatar
EddieB EddieB is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Woodland Hills
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 721
Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfox335i View Post
Hmmmm. I took off the middle head rest without moving the seat at all. I found it obstructs the view out the rear window. Much better now that it's off.
I need to take out the middle so I can use my E46 seat cover. 2002 E46 only had 2 head rests.
__________________
F30 Sapphire Black 335i 6MT|2PE|4AB|ZDH|5AC|LCSW|ZMM|ZPP|ZCW|ZDA|ZDB|ZTP|4 15|688 Dinan Stage 1 Suspension and Shockware ECU tune
Previously - F30 335i, E46 M3, E39 530i, E46 325i
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms