Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Lexus, Volvo
Annoying dealership games

Had the car in for service and received some annoying information. I placed a winter wheel and tire set from Tire Rack on the car. I complained to the dealer that the retractable hard top was making some noises. The response was that I am using non-BMW tires and wheels and the ride must be harsher as a result. The car came with summer performance 18's and I put on winter 17's. The car rides less harsh, without a doubt. They also saw some left over wax on the outside of the seals. I can't believe that would affect the performance of the top. It seems to me they were looking for any excuse NOT to look at the top.

Then, I have a crack in my windshield. I can get the windshield replaced for <$400, but BMW wants $1900. Since my deductible is $1000, I am responsible for the deductible. The car is a lease and I intend to turn it in at the end, but I feel like I am being ripped off --- over and over again.

I have not filled out any surveys yet. I'm frankly disappointed.
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Have you raised these concerns with the dealership and they refuse to address them? The correlation between noisy top and winter tires is pretty comical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 01-21-2013, 03:07 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Don't kill me for what will be a trite response, but go to another dealer.

I bought my car out here in LA at Pacific BMW (which, btw, offered a superb sales experience). I took my car there to get it serviced for the first two years of ownership because I only lived a few blocks away. My experience was generally crappy. I'd complain about things, and get told that my issues where "just the way BMWs work...". The most significant of those issues was an annoying pop noise when I'd use the CD player.

So, I stopped going there, took my car to Century West (which, at the time, was much less convenient to reach). Mysteriously, all the minor problems which were dismissed as "normal operation" by Pacific BMW were causes for Tony (my most excellent SA) at Century West to take everything apart and track down the answer. That annoying "pop" noise led to Tony seeing to it that the entire CIC computer was replaced, for example.

There were a number of other issues like that. Pacific BMW would either write it off as "normal operation" or try to convince me it was my fault. Century West, however, would always put in that bit of extra effort and get the job done.

You may want to go to the dealer that you purchased at because of convenience, price, loaner cars, etc. But, if you have access to other dealers, you might want to vote with your feet.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:35 PM
Drive it like u stole it!

Mein Auto: 2013 M3
Where in NJ do you live? What dealership is that?

1997 328i- retired
2007 328i- retired- lease
2006 330xi- retired
2011 335xi-PCD-12/13/10 - DINAN3-----retired
2013 M3-Laguna Seca-6 speed-EDC

2006 X5- retired
2011 X5- retired- buy back

bmw cca#443379
Old 01-21-2013, 03:40 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by whazzup View Post
Had the car in for service and received some annoying information. I placed a winter wheel and tire set from Tire Rack on the car. I complained to the dealer that the retractable hard top was making some noises. The response was that I am using non-BMW tires and wheels and the ride must be harsher as a result. The car came with summer performance 18's and I put on winter 17's. The car rides less harsh, without a doubt. They also saw some left over wax on the outside of the seals. I can't believe that would affect the performance of the top. It seems to me they were looking for any excuse NOT to look at the top.

Then, I have a crack in my windshield. I can get the windshield replaced for <$400, but BMW wants $1900. Since my deductible is $1000, I am responsible for the deductible. The car is a lease and I intend to turn it in at the end, but I feel like I am being ripped off --- over and over again.

Get the windshield done for <$400 ...... I'll bet your indy shop guy uses Pilkington glass a BMW OEM supplier and rest assured on lease turn in they won't get a magnifying glass out and read the fine print on the glass!

I never put the top up on my S2000 so have no knowledge of "noises" but give me a break BMW dealer .... bring it back in the summer if it malfunctions and get it repaired

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 01-22-2013, 03:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by twhisten View Post
Where in NJ do you live? What dealership is that?
I wouldn't be surprised if it was Flemington BMW. They've played these sorts of games with me every time I've been there.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
The response was that I am using non-BMW tires and wheels and the ride must be harsher as a result.

I can get the windshield replaced for <$400, but BMW wants $1900.

You must ask yourself: Is there a reason businessmen get three bids for a job?

Answer: Yes
  1. ID the dealer here.
  2. ID the dealer with a Yelp review.
  3. Make a written complaint to the dealer, dated. Note the SA.
  4. Forward copy o'written complaint to BMWNA
OK, so far so good. Latest news: Squeaky wheel gets grease! Don't stop advising of your progress or lack of in local boards, Bimmerfest, other BMW boards, Yelp, and BBB.

Realize that your dealer, and especially the know-nothing SA you've had, are dung.

How's it goin?
Old 01-22-2013, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335is
Don't most insurance policies have a lower (or zero) deductible on windshield repairs? I know I had a crack fixed on my wife's car and paid nothing out of pocket, although not sure if that would apply for a full replacement.
I agree with the others here: go to another dealer. Typical dealer BS. I won't even go to the dealer for an oil change anymore; I just do it myself. They've pretty much lost my trust forever. Most of them are incompetent, and they lie. I know there are a handful of good ones out there, but they are getting harder to find.
Good luck.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:08 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
You must ask yourself: Is there a reason businessmen get three bids for a job?

Answer: Yes
  1. ID the dealer here.
  2. ID the dealer with a Yelp review.
  3. Make a written complaint to the dealer, dated. Note the SA.
  4. Forward copy o'written complaint to BMWNA
OK, so far so good. Latest news: Squeaky wheel gets grease! Don't stop advising of your progress or lack of in local boards, Bimmerfest, other BMW boards, Yelp, and BBB.

Realize that your dealer, and especially the know-nothing SA you've had, are dung.

How's it goin?
I agree...the dealer's "association" with tires and ridiculous non-related issues requires OUTING!
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 01-22-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:

We've seldom heard of such DEALER GREED. Hold tight! The tire, "harshness" issue should be the "Bimmerfest" scam of the year award. The windshield price replacement should be the Bimmerfest "highest gross profit rip off of the year" award.

Your windshield can be replaced with "BMW approved" glass by an approved company for MUCH LESS...STAND BY...SAFELITE may be able to help you!
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)

Last edited by pointandgo; 01-22-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:

DO YOU HAVE A LEASE? First question. Important...See above.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)