Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:16 PM
Bob

Mein Auto: BMW 328i 2013
Low bumper paint repair

My new 328i 2013 sedan was only 1 month or so old and I wound up hitting one of those annoying parking dividers. The scratches are really only visible to me (and if you got down and stared real low to the ground), but, I know they're there and it bugs me. I got 2 estimates from local BMWs -- one was $795, the other $275. The lower price is the place where I bought the car.

Any idea what might be contributing to such a major difference in estimate?

Photo attached.Click image for larger version

Name:	0.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	358806
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2013, 02:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
one will probably just airbrush the corner there (which i cant even see your pic is too small) and the other wil remove your entire bumper and respray it after sanding it.

either that or one dealer is just trying to rip you off. $275 seems to cheap for a full respray though. but $800 is a bit much.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:01 PM
Bob

Thanks Hans. The one place said they had to remove the bumper to sand it. I'll check with the other one. I think you are 100 % correct. Maybe the real cost is somewhere in between.
Thanks.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:05 PM

yeah i got a scrape like that on the front right edge of my m-sport and im one of the few people who knows its there.

i'm gonna just touch it up myself. if you are decent at using 1500 grit sand paper itll look close enough and obviously wont be perfect but still. i dont know, not worth spending the money on a full respray unless its really bad or theres like rock chips too since itll probably just happen again if its minor like that.

you'll regret paying to $300-800 to paint it the minute you scrap it again.

fyi, i've heard that a reasonable price for a full respray with the bumper taken off your car and sanded is about $500-550. i've had much worse spots airbrushed over on other cars i've had like say from hitting a potted plant done for under $200. so yeah you might want to look around.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:51 AM
Bob

$275

Hans- So based on your feedback, I contacted the salesman who sold me the car and he confirmed that his $275 price did not include having to take the bumper off. He did assure me that the job would be a good one. I think for this price, I'll be good if I happen to scrape it again.

I appreciate your quick and helpful feedback.

Bob
Old 01-23-2013, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicorro View Post
Hans- So based on your feedback, I contacted the salesman who sold me the car and he confirmed that his $275 price did not include having to take the bumper off. He did assure me that the job would be a good one. I think for this price, I'll be good if I happen to scrape it again.

I appreciate your quick and helpful feedback.

Bob
ah nice.

i just reread your original post and saw your car was only 1 month old. got my first scrape at 1 month too on my 2013...

and yeah that makes sense. honestly to have that "my car is perfect" feeling for a while longer is always nice.

my last new car before this, a friend of mine curbrashed my rim 12 days after i got it. and i made him pay to get my rim refinished. nothing is worse than losing that "my baby is perfect" feeling. good luck with the bumper respray. im sure they'll do a good job, probably the same guy they use for ones that get damaged on the lot...