Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 01-22-2013, 07:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A car
footlong - should it be a foot - or is a name, just a name?

Hearing about this thing going viral and I have to wonder... should a corporation be able to sell us short based on a trademark being "just a trademark" - or is this false advertizing?

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business...in-name-alone/

Quote:

After finding itself in the middle of a sub size controversy, Subway is responding with a claim that its famous footlong subs are just a trademark, not reality.

“SUBWAY FOOTLONG” is a registered trademark as a descriptive name for the sub sold in Subway Restaurants and not intended to be a measurement of length,” reads a comment posted to Subway Australia’s Facebook Wednesday.

“The length of the bread baked in the restaurant cannot be assured each and every time as the proofing process may vary slightly each time in the restaurant,” the post from Subway continues.

The post was in response to a debate begun Tuesday in Australia, when a customer, Matt Corby of Perth, posted a photo of an 11-inch “footlong” sub he’d purchased at a local restaurant on Subway Australia’s Facebook page along with the caption, “subway pls respond.”

The photo quickly went viral and sparked countless comments on Subway’s page, including one from Facebook user Sam Matthew who wrote, “So what is Subways official comment on the fact that their footlong a aren’t in fact a foot long??? Do we have the right to get what we ordered? I joined your Eat Fresh Club and all it’s just an excuse to send me advertising, so much for offers?! Now your subs are getting smaller, your prices are going up, you are charging up to $2 for Avo and I’ve gone from a 5 time a week customer to maybe once a month. Sam.”

It was in reply to Matthew that Subway issued its trademark reply, also adding, “Looking at the photo doing the rounds showing a slightly undersized sub, this bread clearly is not baked to our standards. We have policies in place to ensure that our freshly baked bread is consistent and has the same great taste no matter which Subway restaurant around the world you visit.”

In a statement issued to ABCNews.com Tuesday in response to the first complaint, from Corby, Subway attributed the size discrepancy to the fact that the bread is baked fresh in each of the Milford, Conn.-based company’s 38,000 restaurants worldwide.

“We are committed to providing a consistent product delivering the same amount of bread to the customer with every order. The length however may vary slightly when not baked to our exact specifications. We are reinforcing our policies and procedures in an effort to ensure our offerings are always consistent no matter which Subway restaurant you visit,” the statement read.

When contacted today regarding the trademark claim, a representative for Subway reiterated that the company strives for 12 inches with each footlong sub.

“Most countries, such as Australia, follow the metric system so the term Footlong can only be used as part of a trademark,” a spokesman told ABCNews.com . “Our global standard for a SUBWAY Footlong sandwich is 12 inches regardless of the restaurant’s location.”

What do you think? Sure - bread is one of those things you can't control easily - but should they ensure AT LEAST a FOOT in length?

I am sure if a burger chain were to advertize a half-pound hamburger, and provide their franchisees with a stack of patties that came up short - ie, their uncooked weight of the patties was say... 0.4lb - it would be a blatant rip-off - wouldn't it???

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2013, 07:41 AM
George

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 4.4i x5 sprts pg
even more disappointing is the pix on the TV are in no way correct to what you actually get!!!

they show a nice beefy Footlong sub on the TV - go to subway someday and see what you get - you can barely see the meat on there even b4 you add the other stuff!!!

Sux !!!

2002 4.4i BMW X5 - 166K Topaz Blue Ext/ Tan/Beige Leather Int

1994 Nissan Pathfinder SE 132K Black Ext / Grey Leather Int
Old 01-22-2013, 07:42 AM
Living a dream!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
They need to measure from the base
Old 01-22-2013, 07:44 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneArch View Post
Old 01-22-2013, 07:45 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
We really need to get on Apple's case, because there's zero edible fruit in their products.

Quote:
It also needs to be standing erect. Maybe they need a sandwich fluffer.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................

Last edited by cwsqbm; 01-22-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchurself View Post
even more disappointing is the pix on the TV are in no way correct to what you actually get!!!

they show a nice beefy Footlong sub on the TV - go to subway someday and see what you get - you can barely see the meat on there even b4 you add the other stuff!!!

Sux !!!
they all do that - did you know if you have freakishly small hands, you can become a "hand model" for a food company!

The worst are the burger companies - your burger will NEVER look remotely like the one in the ad.... I get that they use food stylists - but is something as fundamental as the size of the sandwich being named "footlong" - something it should actually be - ie, 1 foot long!

??!?

Old 01-22-2013, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
..What do you think? Sure - bread is one of those things you can't control easily - but should they ensure AT LEAST a FOOT in length?..
I'd say any measurable qualifiers - length, weight, acceleration, etc. - should be sustainable. Anything else is trademarks and marketing, like "ultimate driving machine" - there's no way you can measure the 'ultimate' claim. That's why I think BMW is making strategic mistake with all these 328 or 3.5D model designations - it works short-term as a marketing tool, but waters down the trust and eventually the goodwill of the brand.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: 4Runner-BMW
Quote:

I was just going to say that we lie to our spouse/gf/so's don't we? "This >< is really 8 inches!"
Old 01-22-2013, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: 4Runner-BMW
I haven't read the article, but isn't the bread BEFORE baking 12"?
It's like cold water...shrinkage, right?
Old 01-22-2013, 11:03 AM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 410K
And what's with this business of 2 x 4s only being 1 1/2 x 3 1/2?

Dreamers, misfits, malcontents, finding the world not to their liking imagine themselves ideally suited for the world as it ought to be. - anon
Old 01-22-2013, 11:37 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: VW Wabbit
I think I need to go watch "falling down" again. The burger joint scene alone makes that movie worth watching.

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.”
“They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”

Extra credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3" not "I'm looking for a M3".
Old 01-22-2013, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: '10 Genesis V8 Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsdad View Post

I was just going to say that we lie to our spouse/gf/so's don't we? "This >< is really 8 inches!"
This is why women can't do parallel parking.

We men have convinced women that | >---------------------------------- THIS MUCH ------------------------------< | is a Footlong.

Last edited by TimeOut; 01-22-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:57 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Quote:
they all do that - did you know if you have freakishly small hands, you can become a "hand model" for a food company!

The worst are the burger companies - your burger will NEVER look remotely like the one in the ad.... I get that they use food stylists - but is something as fundamental as the size of the sandwich being named "footlong" - something it should actually be - ie, 1 foot long!

??!?
Whatever you do, don't weight a Quarter Pounder.

To see how well Subway measures up locally, I decide to go there for lunch today. The sandwich was a touch over 12" long, but the prices seem to have gone up a lot since the last time I was there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02239.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	358805  
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 01-22-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
Whatever you do, don't weight a Quarter Pounder.

To see how well Subway measures up locally, I decide to go there for lunch today. The sandwich was a touch over 12" long, but the prices seem to have gone up a lot since the last time I was there.
I get that burgers are uncooked weight. That's a given... perhaps the ad should have some fine print that I'm not seeing...

The implication by using the arrows - at least to me - is that it is a foot - long....

Old 01-22-2013, 02:58 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Quote:
The implication by using the arrows - at least to me - is that it is a foot - long....
That's the art of advertising - implying something that might not be quite true. Pretty much every ad implies something that isn't quite true.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:04 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Quote:
Old 01-22-2013, 03:10 PM
Psychology Reversalist

And what's up with the new "pound" being only 12oz???
Old 01-22-2013, 03:18 PM

ok - watch their own TV ad:

The ad clearly shows the arrows and "1 Ft" - if that isn't an indication that you should expect a sandwich 12 inches long, I don't know what is.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:35 PM
Psychology Reversalist

I don't think it matter that much. Because the amount of bread is probably the same, going by weight. The amount of meat and cheese is also the same, regardless if the bread is an inch shorter. It goes by weight too and is pre-weighted and separated with the wax paper. So the customer gets the same amount of food either with 11 or 12 inches.

You'll probably be a little short or the lettuce and tomatoes, and other condiments they put in there, like pickles, etc.

Last edited by MatWiz; 01-22-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:15 PM

I think if you talk to an experienced baker - they'll tell you that baking in different parts of the world/altitude etc, makes for a different recipe and/or different product - for instance, baking break here at altitude requires different temp/water levels are different (it is also dry here) - they don't advertize a 1lb sandwich... they advertize a "footlong"... as being 'a foot long'.... might be extremely picky, but if tested by someone with deep pockets, I think they could lose... but in the end as you said... does it matter?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2511316.html

Quote:
When ABC News contacted the company, Subway stated that it strives for 12 inches every time. "Most countries, such as Australia, follow the metric system so the term Footlong can only be used as part of a trademark," a spokesman told ABC News. "Our global standard for a Subway Footlong sandwich is 12 inches regardless of the restaurant's location."

After Corby's Footlong photo went viral, Subway customers around the world shared more photos to prove that their sandwiches also came up short. Four out of seven Footlongs purchased by the New York Post in the NYC region measured only 11 or 11.5 inches.

A Manhattan franchise owner told the Post that Subway's bread is not the only thing shrinking. The cold-cut sizes have been cut by 25 percent. "The distributor has increased the food cost on the individual owners by 4 to 5 percent every year and provided the owners with less food," he told the Post.

I feel some marketing of bushelsworth... as bushels aren't in common usage - I reckon I could get by with selling half a bushel and just give a shrug.. - not in common use and "bushelsworth" is just a name...

Old 01-23-2013, 09:20 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Quote:
they don't advertize a 1lb sandwich... they advertize a "footlong"... as being 'a foot long'.... might be extremely picky, but if tested by someone with deep pockets, I think they could lose...
While I'm not saying they couldn't loose (never underestimate the odds of having twelve randomly selected people being complete idiots), a simple retort is "it is as long as a foot - the average foot is less than 12" long".

Given that I hadn't eat at Subway in a long time (JJ rules), I was surprised at the prices yesterday. Yes, they sell a $5 foot long, but only for a couple selections. Mine was $6.50+tax - almost $7 for a Subway sandwich. I guess those Jimmy John sandwiches aren't overpriced.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
While I'm not saying they couldn't loose (never underestimate the odds of having twelve randomly selected people being complete idiots), a simple retort is "it is as long as a foot - the average foot is less than 12" long".

Given that I hadn't eat at Subway in a long time (JJ rules), I was surprised at the prices yesterday. Yes, they sell a $5 foot long, but only for a couple selections. Mine was $6.50+tax - almost $7 for a Subway sandwich. I guess those Jimmy John sandwiches aren't overpriced.
I have to be dragged into subway myself... I much prefer quiznos....