Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-19-2013, 05:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
Replacing RFs

I know there's been a lot of discussion on this but I can't take it anymore after 5000 miles. Have narrowed down to Continental Extreme DW or Michelin PSS. Which is best? (This ought to start some healthy discussions, I'm sure).
Ads by Google
Old 01-19-2013, 05:40 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
You might be disappointed in the lack of debate since the PSS is very popular around here.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 01-19-2013, 06:04 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Michelins, without a doubt. The Contis are not a good match to this car.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 01-20-2013, 07:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Acura RL
i wonder if the new michelin pilot a/s 3 will come in run flats and the 245/40/19 size?
Old 01-20-2013, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Mein Auto: '13 F10 550i; '11 R1200GS
So for those that have replaced the RFs with Non RFs on the f10, can you describe the changes noted? Its always hard to compare worn out tires with new ones, so if you replaced early in the life of the RF it would be an even better comparison. I've done this switch on my 335 but that was in the earlier days of RFs when they were really horrible...they seem to have improved some since then. It was nice with my m3 as it came with non RFs so I didn't have to deal with it.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:49 AM

Mein Auto: See Sig
Tire Rack is a good source of information. My advice is to be realistic about how you drive the car and what is important in a tire. There are several good tires for the car.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:47 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGray5 View Post
So for those that have replaced the RFs with Non RFs on the f10, can you describe the changes noted? Its always hard to compare worn out tires with new ones, so if you replaced early in the life of the RF it would be an even better comparison. I've done this switch on my 335 but that was in the earlier days of RFs when they were really horrible...they seem to have improved some since then. It was nice with my m3 as it came with non RFs so I didn't have to deal with it.
Night and day difference. I took my RF's off at 7k miles. Put them back on later and thought, what happened to the ride? Yikes!

Not to mention a severe lack of traction....

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 01-21-2013, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: 535
I just replaced mine this morning. I had 500 miles on the RF's. Undeniably better, in every respect. (bridgestone S-04's)
Old 01-21-2013, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Night and day difference. I took my RF's off at 7k miles. Put them back on later and thought, what happened to the ride? Yikes!

Not to mention a severe lack of traction....
Interesting, maybe I'll do the same...take these off after 8k or so and save them to put back on at lease turn in time. I bought the tire and wheel insurance package..I wonder if they will cover non RFs...anyone know if that makes a difference?

The RF tires have a stiffer sidewall, so you didn't notice any lack of handling responsiveness after taking them off did you?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Driving Machine

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

Mich PSS wins!

Bridgestone S04 2nd place
Old 01-22-2013, 07:35 AM
just like that, he's gone

Mein Auto: 2011 335 and 2013 535
I have the Conti Extreme DW on my E46 and although I think they handle great and are of good value, they have "softish" sidewalls and really feel lumpy until they get up to temp. Also, I think most tire shops have problems getting them properly balanced (they used a ton of weights) for that same reason - unless they have some magical way of heating them up first (maybe wait for summer?)

I have had no problems with the Pirelli PZero RFT's on my F10, but then again I only have 1,000 miles on them.

2013 F10 535i M-Sport (Sophisto Grau, 6-speed MT, M5 Grille/Trunk Lip)*for sale*
2011 E90 335 Sport (Jet Black, Performance Edition) *new commuter/flogmobile, whoa what is this NAV thing?*
2002 E46 330i Sport (Jet Black, 5-speed MT, H&R/Koni Sports, Meyle HD Control Arms, Powerflex FCAB's, Hotchkis sways...and more)*sold*
..lots of former cars

Old 01-22-2013, 09:52 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
Cecec
Old 01-23-2013, 03:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i Sport Package
Quote:
Interesting, maybe I'll do the same...take these off after 8k or so and save them to put back on at lease turn in time. I bought the tire and wheel insurance package..I wonder if they will cover non RFs...anyone know if that makes a difference?

The RF tires have a stiffer sidewall, so you didn't notice any lack of handling responsiveness after taking them off did you?
My run in with insurance coverage with my E60 was if you went from RF to NRF, they will NOT honor the agreement. Check to see if your agreement is any different then 3 years ago.
BMWCCA Member #458528 www.bmwcca.org

"If Things Seem Under Control, You're Not Going Fast Enough"
Mario Andretti
Old 01-23-2013, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaymaster View Post
My run in with insurance coverage with my E60 was if you went from RF to NRF, they will NOT honor the agreement. Check to see if your agreement is any different then 3 years ago.
I don't recall any mention of it, but any reason to get out of paying will work for them I suppose. The ironic thing is going to Non RF's would reduce their liability exposure to damaged wheels and bubbling sidewalls.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: F10 550i, E60528i
OP: Don't know about Michelin PPS but for me the Continental Extreme DWS are a ++.
Easy to find, relatively inexpensive, smooth, quiet, comfortable ride, relatively light weight and moderately sporty handling.

I have about 25K miles on them since I dumped the RF on my wifes e60 528i w/sport pkg. and they still ride and handle like when they were new. I've not experienced some problems with cold running or balance like others but that could be because the the e60 is a heavier, less sensitive car than say, a 3 series. No, they DON'T handle razor sharp like an extreme performance rated runflat or non runflat but I don't think most posters on the F10 forum are looking for that kind of tire either, especially at the Continental's price level.

I'm planning them for my F10 M Sport 19's as well.

Last edited by HDEddie1; 01-23-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
I don't recall any mention of it, but any reason to get out of paying will work for them I suppose. The ironic thing is going to Non RF's would reduce their liability exposure to damaged wheels and bubbling sidewalls.
That's a negative...

A non RFT will buckle when flat and possible cause damage to the rim which is much more expensive to replace than the tire. Besides, warranties as a whole become null and void when you go away from OEM.

This is true in every industry.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
That's a negative...

A non RFT will buckle when flat and possible cause damage to the rim which is much more expensive to replace than the tire. Besides, warranties as a whole become null and void when you go away from OEM.

This is true in every industry.
Read up on the issues with Run Flat tires and their issues and related wheel issues....hundreds of posts on these forums about it as well as car magazine reviews. Some have had several wheels/tires damaged. This was a rare occurrence before runflats. You aren't really trying to deny the issues with runflats are you? Do you work at a dealer?

By the way, have never had wheel damage from a flat non RF tire...of course I always had the good sense not to drive on it as well.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Read up on the issues with Run Flat tires and their issues and related wheel issues....hundreds of posts on these forums about it as well as car magazine reviews. Some have had several wheels/tires damaged. This was a rare occurrence before runflats. You aren't really trying to deny the issues with runflats are you? Do you work at a dealer?

By the way, have never had wheel damage from a flat non RF tire...of course I always had the good sense not to drive on it as well.
I don't work for a dealer but I do understand business. In the RFT scenario - a bubble develops and you bring it in to BMW. BMW swaps it and in turn send the defective tire back to the manufacturer which equal no cost to BMW. They can't do that with replacement tires, thus they won't cover it. As for driving on it - if it were to happen at a high rate of speed you would drive on it.

Although I never experienced any troubles with my last 3 sets of run flats, I am planning on replacing them with non-runflats. For me this is not so much about comfort as it is wear. My current lease is 39 months longer then the 24/36 I usually do. This means that I will have to replace the tires before I turn it back in. That being the case, I would rather replace them now with a good set of tires and then put the RFTs back on at turn in then pay for another set of RFTs.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
I don't work for a dealer but I do understand business. In the RFT scenario - a bubble develops and you bring it in to BMW. BMW swaps it and in turn send the defective tire back to the manufacturer which equal no cost to BMW. They can't do that with replacement tires, thus they won't cover it. As for driving on it - if it were to happen at a high rate of speed you would drive on it.

Although I never experienced any troubles with my last 3 sets of run flats, I am planning on replacing them with non-runflats. For me this is not so much about comfort as it is wear. My current lease is 39 months longer then the 24/36 I usually do. This means that I will have to replace the tires before I turn it back in. That being the case, I would rather replace them now with a good set of tires and then put the RFTs back on at turn in then pay for another set of RFTs.
yes, I'm sure you're the only one here that understands business... Not sure why you think that tire manufacturers warranty RF tires but not non RF tires? But I was actually speaking about coverage under the wheel and tire insurance that I purchased, so neither BMW nor the dealer is on the hook for the replacement cost as it is underwritten by a third party provider. I guess you love an argument for argument's sake because it seems funny that you are going to non RFs too.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:44 AM

HAHA - I do like an argument for arguments sake...

Yes, but only because I have to replace the OEM with OEM at the end of the lease.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
Well, went ahead and ordered Michelin PSS from Tire Rack yesterday...should be delivered next week. Any special instructions I need to give the crew at Gateway tire about mounting them...other than don't screw up my wheels?!
Old 01-26-2013, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: F10 550i, E60528i
Unless you have previous experience with Gateway or you have their assurances that they can carefully balance your wheels with a calibrated machine, I would consider having the dealer mount them. Yes...it'll cost more at the dealer but they have the right equipment, precise wheel weights, and will do it right without blemishing the wheels. I've had too many experience where independent tire shops hurry through a tire change, thinking that'll impress you, only to have to rebalance several times or, worse yet, find a scuff on the wheel rim from their "touch less" mounting rig. And, invariably the tire jockey will torque your lugs to some "spec" in their book that is not the BMW wheel spec.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: F10 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Michelins, without a doubt. The Contis are not a good match to this car.
If I am not mistaken Michelin pss is a summer tire correct? I also looking to replace my RFT but prefer all- season. I realize performance is compromised but which would be the best all season tire for f10 19" with minimal loss of summer performance.

Any recommendations?
Old 02-05-2013, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Driving Machine

I think Michelin makes a Pilot Sport all season tire as well.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:02 PM

Mein Auto: F10 550xi
What do u guys think of this

Goodyear Eagle GT (W-Speed Rated) (Ultra High Performance All-Season)

Seems pretty economical with good reviews

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...um%3D44WR9GTXL