Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-19-2013, 04:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 550ix
I have no issues with my 13 550ix.... drives great no vibration at any speed below 135 mph.... ( havent been faster than that yet ) hope you get it resolved....

Retired:
2013 550ix
2009 535i
2007 335i
Old 01-19-2013, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan 550xi
Also no issues... 30,000km on using oem rft but for the last 2k switched to the 19 perreli rft on oem rims also with no issues

I have had a different SUV my wife drives with an uncorrectable wobble for 5 months. The tire shop took the tires back after replacement with same brand several times and the new brand worked flawless.

As a side note, 10 years ago had a Pontiac grand am, that when ever it came to a stop, there was this horrible grinding noise... Sounded like metal contact with brake discs. After 2 years of Messiaen around, I replaced the Goodyear HP model tires with another good year model and the grinding went away. Later we discovered the oem tires had some design element in the rubber near where the rim contact area and when the tires aged it would sag and rub against this design pattern in the rubber and make what sounded like a grinding noise... At that point gm paid me back for the new tires as I was able to prove it was a defect...

My point is, tires can play a big role despite the best efforts of the dealer...
Old 01-23-2013, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 M3, 2013 M5
update- Took a drive with BMW service tech for a good hour, also compared my car to a brand new 550I. New 550 had no vibrations, it felt so much better than mine.

BMW service tech was a little confused it seemed, at first he thought that I was talking about road vibrations, once I explained to him then he didn't say anything. I think he felt it also but didn't want to admit to anything.

They kept my car for a day to compare to the 550 we drove, they even took the wheels off of it and tried it on my car with no change. Now they are saying that they can replace wheel bearings.

I am so sick of this, I just want BMW to step up and take this car off my hands. This is the 5th time my car has been back in for the vibration issue. Not to mention the loose seat and the faulty camera which they haven't fixed yet.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
I have this vibration too. Car is unsafe

I took delivery of a 2013 Tasmin Green 535I on the 12th of may of this year. I was working a lot at the time and didn't get it out on the freeway for about 10 days or so. When i did i immediately felt a strong vibration in the steering wheel and seats of the car upon getting up to about 55 mph. You can actually visually see the passenger seat and headrest vibrating at the same frequency you feel in the wheel. I called the dealership immediately and told the salesman what was going on. He asked me to try it out on another freeway to verify it and when i did he had me bring it in. At first they told me nothing was wrong with it and that it was driving "normally". They did a very quick wheel balance and sent me on my way. i was back in a few days after the first time at highway speeds again. This time the tech told me that even though he'd requested that they balance all 4 wheels last time that it appeared on his paperwork that they'd only done the rear 2 and that he would have the front 2 balanced and that would fix the issue... Ok no problem not that big a deal.... Get the car back and again within a couple days i'm back because nothing is fixed. This time as i was driving on the 405 freeway and after driving at highway speed for a couple of miles i hear a little ting of something metal hitting the road. When i get to my destination i notice that the BMW emblem in the middle of the driver front wheel is missing. It wasn't missing when i left so that means its very probable that the sound i heard was the emblem flying off at highway speed because its been shaken loose by the vibration. I bring the car back to the dealer and have another shop foreman drive the car with me in it on the highway and he quickly admits that he feels it too. After 10 days of not hearing from the dealer at all i typed "2013 535 shaking" into google and was amazed and disgusted at the results. This was one of quite a few sites where people have been complaining of this issue for the last couple years! At that pont i decided that i really didn't want to waste my time with this and i called BMW NA to see what could be done. I talk to the dealer and they tell me so far that they've replaced 1 wheel and that didn't fix it. This was 10 days after they took the car. So now they are replacing all 4 tires and doing a hunter road force test...... ok. So, i get the car back and on the paperwork both shop foreman have signed off that the car is perfect. The roadforce #'s are on the paperwork as well and with the new tires i do see significantly better roadforce #'s. OK great problem solved right?
Wrong.... Get the car out on the highway (Newly paved asphalt too) and while the vibration is a bit lessoned it is still clearly there. It doesn't start until about 65mph now but its still there and its still visually visible in the passenger seat as well. I tell the rep from BMW NA that I've gotten the car back and there is still a problem, and his answer was that BMW NA felt that the problem had been fixed and was offering me nothing in regards to taking the car back. He told me to contact the dealer if the problem was still there. So i did. They wont even let me bring the car back to look at it!!! They say i have to get in touch with the engineering dept. at BMW NA and have them look at it. I've filed a complaint with the BBB to try to lemon the car on my own. I'm hoping that works cause right now i have a 65K car thats great if i only want to drive on surface streets....
Just needed to rant a bit.....

Thanks
-Sam

i wonder if anyone else who's experiencing this issue or anything similar would mind PMing me with there story.I have a friend who works at a big news staion here and she thought it would make an interesting story here in Los Angeles.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550IX M Sport
My passenger seat shakes pretty good I can see it when driving on the highway. However I don't have any stealing wheel vibration if I do it's minimal and it's only between 70-75. I have 20" m5 rims and its so easy to Bend a rim with the profile of the tire so low, plus riding on 20" wheels is aggressive I guess. Wonder if I should get it checked out you can see the seat shake, I ask my wife if she feels anything when sitting there and she says no so who knows. Anybody else with insight on this.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post

i wonder if anyone else who's experiencing this issue or anything similar would mind PMing me with there story.I have a friend who works at a big news staion here and she thought it would make an interesting story here in Los Angeles.
I am curious, what were your road forces before and after the new tires. I have been fighting a slight vibration between 70-75mph (this is apparently the most common speed at which this chassis vibrates) for most of the 2 years I've had my F10. What I've learned is that not too many places with Hunter Road Force balancers take the time to properly utilize this state of the art balancer. I also believe that the road forces need to be kept low to have a smooth ride. A good value is below 15 lbs, better if lower obviously.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 550xi
I had a significant steering issue with my 2011 535xi where it tracked all over the road. it would go right to left and right again. bad strut mounting was corrected by the dealer along with a reprogramming of the steering and a 4 wheel alignment.

I did trade it for my 2012 550xi sport (non M-sport) with Dynamic Damper Control which seemed to make a big difference.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i xDrive
I noticed the vibration when I took a road trip up state to visit family. At the time I had the car for 2 months (May)and it only had 1500 miles on it. So I made an appointment at the dealership, I thought it was odd that the car would have this kind of vibration, as others have said the F10 is a great highway cruiser. I was so excited to get this car out on the highway, but was crushed by the vibration. So the car went to the dealership to have the vibration checked out, I was also getting an error message about rear brake replacement (well how could that be with only 1500 miles on it). So the SA said they are aware of this type of error message on the F10's rear brake error message. The SA said they need the car for a few days and the car would need to have the software updated to clear the brake error message. I received a 528xi as a loaner for the next 4 days and I took the 528xi on the highway and I did not notice the vibration. I got a call from the SA and was told me my tires were OVERLY INFLATED and said the tech checked all four tires, suspension and rims, was told no cracked rims, no issues with the suspension and all tires were in spec. HMMMMM!

So fast forward 3 months to present, just got back last night from up state (same trip to visit family) and now a total of miles is 4300 and BIG surprise the vibration is still there and very noticeable. I mostly do all city driving and had a passenger in the front seat, so I did not notice the passenger seat vibrating. But I was told that they could feel the vibration throughout the front passenger compartment and transmitting into their cloths! I took the car on a local highway with no front seat passenger and I could see the front seat passenger and headrest vibrating. The vibration on both trips I noticed it starts at 60 to 75mph. The odd part is, going between 80/90mph, I noticed the vibration would flatten out a bit, but still there! I do have 18" rims, BTW.

I do have to say, I love my F10 and its my first BMW! I just wish when I am on a road trip the car would be vibration free! So there may be a trip back to the dealership!
2013 535i xDrive Dark Graphite Metallic ll, Cinnamon Brown w/Dark Wood Trim, Cold Weather Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Tech Pkg. (Ordered 01/18/2013, Build Date, 02/07/2013, Delivery, 03/07/2013)
Old 08-11-2013, 09:48 AM

The road force numbers with the old tires are laughable. LF-39lb RF-41, LR-50 RR-41. With the new tires they've certainly gotten better results but the rear numbers are still too high. LF-3 RF-6, LR-14 RR-21.

I guess I should write that before this car I drove a 2010 335D with 18 inch rims and super low profile rfts. I know what a BMW is really supposed to feel like and this ain't it. Also my car still has less then 1000 miles on it.

My dealer always gave me the crappiest 328 as a loaner even for long periods of time.

I also wonder what else in the car has been shaken loose by the vibration. If it was strong enough to loosen that emblem out of the wheel what else is coming loose?

I'm gonna try and put a camera operator and my friend in the car this week and see what we get on tape. This is ridiculous. My dealer won't even look at it again even after I tell them I don't feel safe driving the car on the highway.

I loved my 335D. I never had any real problems with it at all. This experience has been disgusting. I really can't believe BMW won't take responsibility for a mistake or problem and do the right thing.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 5301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
Widespread seems extreme. I don't have it. And all my friends who have F10s don't have it either. The Internet forums tend to draw out the exceptions.

That said, I don't understand why those who have this don't lemon the car.
+1.

My 2013 530i is silky smooth, and I do not know anyone that has a different experience.

Having said this, I bought also a new 2013 Lincoln MKX, and had a vibration from 80km onwards. Lincoln changed all tires, and it became as smooth as butter.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:42 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercomputers View Post
My passenger seat shakes pretty good I can see it when driving on the highway. However I don't have any stealing wheel vibration if I do it's minimal and it's only between 70-75. I have 20" m5 rims and its so easy to Bend a rim with the profile of the tire so low, plus riding on 20" wheels is aggressive I guess. Wonder if I should get it checked out you can see the seat shake, I ask my wife if she feels anything when sitting there and she says no so who knows. Anybody else with insight on this.
IMO, you can't use the passenger seat as shaking at speed that there is a vibration issue. I think it's kind of normal for the unoccupied seat to move slightly. That's why there are many threads about making a slight adjustment of the headrest height to stop a slight vibrating noise in the unoccupied seat.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 08-11-2013, 12:44 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
... Get the car back and again within a couple days i'm back because nothing is fixed. This time as i was driving on the 405 freeway and after driving at highway speed for a couple of miles i hear a little ting of something metal hitting the road. When i get to my destination i notice that the BMW emblem in the middle of the driver front wheel is missing. It wasn't missing when i left so that means its very probable that the sound i heard was the emblem flying off at highway speed because its been shaken loose by the vibration.
Questionable. To my knowledge, the BMW center wheel caps are inserted from the backside of the wheel. They cannot come out from the front side of the wheel.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 08-11-2013, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 528i
Interesting thread. I notice vibration in my 2013 528i once my speed is over ~65mph, with the vibration subsiding at ~78-80mph. Talk about an annoying range given Atlanta speed limits. The vibration can be seen/felt in any of the following; steering wheel, gear shifter, sun visor (when down), passenger seat, and slight feeling through driver seat. Its minor mind you, but there nonetheless. Also, this vibration encourages a slight rattle on my rear left passenger door. My wife's old civic had less rattles/vibration than this BMW!

Old 08-11-2013, 07:26 PM
Kaos

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
BMW F10 Vibration Defect

Had no vibrations with my run flats on my 2013. I switched to Michelin Super Sports and then started to get vibrations from 70mph on. Frustrating.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-11-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Questionable. To my knowledge, the BMW center wheel caps are inserted from the backside of the wheel. They cannot come out from the front side of the wheel.
Wrong. They are inserted from the front or outside of the wheel.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Well, It was there when i left and not there when i got to my destination. Also perhaps coincidentally i heard the sound of a small pice of metal hitting the road or undercarriage and i was sure i hadn't driven over anything.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edino View Post
+1.

My 2013 530i is silky smooth, and I do not know anyone that has a different experience.

Having said this, I bought also a new 2013 Lincoln MKX, and had a vibration from 80km onwards. Lincoln changed all tires, and it became as smooth as butter.
I am in the process of lemoning the car through the BBB. However it will take time and since the dealer wont even take the car back for a 4th time i imagine itll be a huge PITA due to california law. we'll see.... I really thought this was just my car at first. The problem may not be "Widespread" but it is certainly affecting quite a few of us here and i'd be willing to bet there are a lot more owners that this is happening to as well that are not on the forum.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:26 PM

I am starting the believe the majority of vibration problems are simply excessive road force. The problem I have found is that a lot of shops set up their Hunter Road Force Balance in a "Quick Match" mode. Find a shop that will give you the results in pounds (Quick Match doesn't) and see if you can get results below 15 lbs and ideally below 10 lbs. I think the F10 is just a sensitive chassis to excessive road forces.

One item to keep in mind is that completing a proper Road Force balance takes time. Don't expect to get your tires Road Force balance for $30. You probably will pay $100 or better.

Last edited by snj1013; 08-12-2013 at 05:55 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 5301
Quote:
I am in the process of lemoning the car through the BBB. However it will take time and since the dealer wont even take the car back for a 4th time i imagine itll be a huge PITA due to california law. we'll see.... I really thought this was just my car at first. The problem may not be "Widespread" but it is certainly affecting quite a few of us here and i'd be willing to bet there are a lot more owners that this is happening to as well that are not on the forum.
Maybe. The 5 series is very popular, people that have problems are more visible. Anyway, I feel sorry you have to go trough all these problems; vibrations are really annoying, and takes all driving pleasure away.

When I bought my car, I test drove a 535i with 20" wheels, and than a 530i with 18" wheels with Bridgestone RFT (which I bought). The 18"wheels made a good difference on the noise (less) and and huge difference on road feedback (less). And that was on the very smooth roads we have here in Dubai! What is the wheel size you got? Could wheel size have something to do with it (roads are not very good in LA)? Sometimes a vibration root-cause is not a from rotary forces, but from actual road feedback that goes into a resonance.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:00 AM
Sasha1

Mein Auto: Nissan
F10 engine vibration

any more updates on engine vibration in the F10?

I have a 2012 535i and it shakes excessively left to right on start, both cold starts and warm. It goes away after a few seconds but still frustrating.

BMW can't replicate it as the problem comes and goes when it feels like it.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X5 50 M sport
BMW F10 Vibration Defect

I have some vibration issue with my 2011 550 xi M it happens around 65-75 mph range
At this point/ engine replacement,rims, tires,fuel injectors-most recent problem/ i gave up and pretend not to notice, unless it will get worse. I have been driving loaner/2013 x5 3.5 D/ for 2 weeks and no issues with vibration at any speed, same for my wife,s 2013 x3 3.5 M.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
2010-2012 GLK 350/wife/
2008-2011-328XI
2004-2007-CLK55
2007-2010-X3 3.0
2001-2004-A8 4.2
2004-2007 X5 3.0/E53/
1999-2001-SL500
1996-1999-ML320 4MATIC
1992-1995-VOLVO 850 TURBO
1990-1992-525I
1987-1990-OLDSMOBILE CS
1981-1987-LADA/VAZ 2103
Old 08-16-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha1 View Post
any more updates on engine vibration in the F10?

I have a 2012 535i and it shakes excessively left to right on start, both cold starts and warm. It goes away after a few seconds but still frustrating.

BMW can't replicate it as the problem comes and goes when it feels like it.
This thread's subject is vibration caused by chassis related issues, not engine vibrations. Probably better searching or starting a new thread.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d x drive
I have a similar vibration occurring at around 70 mph. It's like a low frequency "rumbling" and appears to originate in the drivetrain. When the car was new and taken in for service for the first time I noted it, and they confirmed it, but the tech at the time drove another 535, which did the same thing, so they wrote it off as normal. I am going to make an issue of it next time it goes back, thanks to this thread.

Interestingly enough, my 2006 Infiniti M35x had the same problem, and they changed ALL the drivetrain components and still couldn't fix it.
2014 535d xdrive ED 4/28/14 Glacier silver, Ivory Interior-Soft Close Doors, Ash wood, Harmon Kardon, Cold Package, Driver Assistant and Driver Assistant Plus, Luxury Line, Lighting Package, Luxury Seating Package, Premium Package

Old 08-16-2013, 02:43 PM
Moderator, 5-Series

Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
I doubt this is related but I'll toss it out anyway. I had a u-joint on the drive shaft go out on me in a Chevy Van once. It would vibrate the whole van in the 50-60 mph range but was normal and smooth otherwise.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: car
Quote:
I took delivery of a 2013 Tasmin Green 535I on the 12th of may of this year. I was working a lot at the time and didn't get it out on the freeway for about 10 days or so. When i did i immediately felt a strong vibration in the steering wheel and seats of the car upon getting up to about 55 mph. You can actually visually see the passenger seat and headrest vibrating at the same frequency you feel in the wheel. I called the dealership immediately and told the salesman what was going on. He asked me to try it out on another freeway to verify it and when i did he had me bring it in. At first they told me nothing was wrong with it and that it was driving "normally". They did a very quick wheel balance and sent me on my way. i was back in a few days after the first time at highway speeds again. This time the tech told me that even though he'd requested that they balance all 4 wheels last time that it appeared on his paperwork that they'd only done the rear 2 and that he would have the front 2 balanced and that would fix the issue... Ok no problem not that big a deal.... Get the car back and again within a couple days i'm back because nothing is fixed. This time as i was driving on the 405 freeway and after driving at highway speed for a couple of miles i hear a little ting of something metal hitting the road. When i get to my destination i notice that the BMW emblem in the middle of the driver front wheel is missing. It wasn't missing when i left so that means its very probable that the sound i heard was the emblem flying off at highway speed because its been shaken loose by the vibration. I bring the car back to the dealer and have another shop foreman drive the car with me in it on the highway and he quickly admits that he feels it too. After 10 days of not hearing from the dealer at all i typed "2013 535 shaking" into google and was amazed and disgusted at the results. This was one of quite a few sites where people have been complaining of this issue for the last couple years! At that pont i decided that i really didn't want to waste my time with this and i called BMW NA to see what could be done. I talk to the dealer and they tell me so far that they've replaced 1 wheel and that didn't fix it. This was 10 days after they took the car. So now they are replacing all 4 tires and doing a hunter road force test...... ok. So, i get the car back and on the paperwork both shop foreman have signed off that the car is perfect. The roadforce #'s are on the paperwork as well and with the new tires i do see significantly better roadforce #'s. OK great problem solved right?
Wrong.... Get the car out on the highway (Newly paved asphalt too) and while the vibration is a bit lessoned it is still clearly there. It doesn't start until about 65mph now but its still there and its still visually visible in the passenger seat as well. I tell the rep from BMW NA that I've gotten the car back and there is still a problem, and his answer was that BMW NA felt that the problem had been fixed and was offering me nothing in regards to taking the car back. He told me to contact the dealer if the problem was still there. So i did. They wont even let me bring the car back to look at it!!! They say i have to get in touch with the engineering dept. at BMW NA and have them look at it. I've filed a complaint with the BBB to try to lemon the car on my own. I'm hoping that works cause right now i have a 65K car thats great if i only want to drive on surface streets....
Just needed to rant a bit.....

Thanks
-Sam

Sam-Z

I was the OP who started the complaints with the vibration defect in 2011 and I am very much seen you state the same thing I experienced. I had to sell off my BMW myself because the dealer would not acknowledge the problem after 10 months of changing tires and rims. ALl my road force were below 10 lbs but the vibration was there slightly. Its so annoying to have on the car. I found out that the new owner felt the same problem and sold my BMW after 1 year and it was then bought by a dealer and sold and then it returned to the used car lot. I had my VIN stored at home and I tracked it out of curiousity. Its a bad problem and more widespread then intially thought and BMW is kicking themselves in the ass for not doing much about it and just talking BS about road force balancing. ITS NOT THE TIRES OR RIMS. ITs inside the drivetrain or axle. You should def get your friend to do a report on this.