BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

M5 tires in 19 or 20 - please tell your story

12K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  netwon 
#1 ·
Hello,

I was looking at the M5 tires for both standard BMW 19 or optional 20 inches wheels.

You have those dimensions:

265/40-19
295/35-19

or

265/35-20
295/30-20

Looking at Tirerack and other tire providers, it seems quite difficult to get them (availability is low, you have to order them) and there are no run-flat version of them. As far as I can search, there are only Michelin Pilot Super Sport and Pirelli P Zero Max that could work for such a car.

I am currently having run-flats on a 335 and those have actually been very convenient when I got a puncture (I could go back home and wait a day before going to the tire shop). I could also made them repaired quite easily too.

BMW is also providing a "repair kit" and I would like to know if it works nicely and could help me wait a few days until I get a new replacement tire. Also, after using the repair kit, would the punctured tire be fixable or not ?

Last, I have heard that the 20 inches are a bit more noisy than the 19 inches ones.

Tires size is not only about aesthetics, right ?

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions.

See less See more
#2 ·
I am not sure I understand what your question is. However, I have 20" summer tires and 19" winter tires (Michelin PSS summers and Pirelli Sottozero winters) and they both are great. No problems whatsoever. Knock on wood I have not had a flat with this car or my previous car so I can't comment on that.

#3 ·
Hello mlaynemd,

I am trying to figure out which of 19 or 20 inches wheels is "better" considering the following:

1- availability of tires at the repair shops

2- pain of using a repair kit in case of a puncture

3- capability to repair a tire after having used the repair kit on it

4- smoothness of ride and being less noisy

5- aesthetics

I look forward to your comments.

Thank you

#6 ·
Based on the OP's obvious unfamiliarity with the different options and their advantages and/or disadvantages, I would say 19 inch wheels are the best option for this particular situation. Driving scared isnt worth driving at all in my opinion.

#8 ·
One advantage of the 20"s is that they are much easier to clean, although on the other hand you see more of the brake discs and the dirt that may accumulate on them. All things considered, the 20"s just look so good, it is my choice, particularly since I will have a 19" winter set.

#9 ·
Thank you for all this feedback. Sure there is some difference for the ride and the overall look.

But what about the availability of 19 versus 20 inches tires at the tire shops if I need to get a new tire (after a puncture) ?

Does anybody here have some experience about that ?

#11 ·
But what about the availability of 19 versus 20 inches tires at the tire shops if I need to get a new tire (after a puncture) ?
Count that if you do have a need for a new tire, you will not find either a 19 or 20 at this size right away. BMW Assist should take you to the dealer who should put you in a loaner while you wait for a replacement tire.

#12 · (Edited)
Considering 1) the expected tire life 2) availability of tires (19 & 20) and 3) how much I love driving Claudia (don't laugh)
I am going to order a spare set and leave them in the garage. Going to need them anyways sooner than later. If you get a puncture on the road get a tow to a tire shop and have the tire repaired... its not a RTF after all... just drive gental till you can replace

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.