Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
Seat control module fitment, removal install?

Hey everyone, you might have seen my other postings, and so far everything coming along good. But like I stared before, my drivers seat control module is broken. I'm wondering how I'm gonna go ahead removing the old switch and installing the new one. What steps do I need to take to remove this unit. Also the main reason for posting this is because my seats stuck in the recline position and like I said the switch is broken so I'm wondering if it's possible to hook the passenger side switch up to the drivers side just to get it back in the upright position. Will it plug right up and work? This would be a lifesaver so I can drive the car while I wait for the new components to come in. Thanks in advance to anyone take g there time to read this. And pardon the spelling, I'm posting from my phone right now
Ads by Google
Old 01-23-2013, 05:36 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: 745LI
To change the seat controls you have to take the center console completely apart

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Bimmer App

If you need a Custom 2014 DVD Navigation Map
East or West for your E65 E66 PM me for price .
Or if you Need an AUX Plug for your car hit me up
Old 01-23-2013, 06:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 745i
Bigbody745, go to bimmerboard.com and search for a member called (hiyabrad) he has a post just for what ur looking for. I used it to change my parts. Detailed instructions.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:00 PM

Alright, my main concern cern is if the right control module is able to be hooked up to the drivers side just so I can readjust my seat to a normal position because it's stuck reclined
Old 01-23-2013, 10:05 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbody745 View Post
Alright, my main concern cern is if the right control module is able to be hooked up to the drivers side just so I can readjust my seat to a normal position because it's stuck reclined

If you need a Custom 2014 DVD Navigation Map
East or West for your E65 E66 PM me for price .
Or if you Need an AUX Plug for your car hit me up
Old 01-23-2013, 10:15 PM

I take that as a no? Is there anyway to get my seat back to a normal position while I wait on the new switch
Old 01-24-2013, 04:25 AM

Mein Auto: 745i
I've been doing auto upholstery for 16 years and if I have a car come in (like ur case) I simply take seat out find the motor that runs that function and use a cordless drill battery to straight wire the motor. When u have seat in desired place just plug ur two wire harness back and reinstall seat.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:22 AM

Mein Auto: E65 745i
I dont know about on the e65 but on the newer cars you can use INPA to control the seat motors from a laptop.

Did it to my friend in his 07 plate 335i xD
Old 08-18-2013, 07:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 745i
Replace seat control module BMW 745i

The passenger side seat control knob on my 2005 745i quit working. I was able to order a replacement module off Ebay. The hard part was figuring how to get the console apart to replace the part. I was directed to a Spanish website with some pictures. I will now give step by step instructions and try to attach some pictures to illustrate the steps. Step 1: If you look under the dash to the right of the gas pedal, you will see a philips screw holding in a section of carpeting. Remove this screw and pull the carpeted section forward and down to disengage the clamps. Repeat on the passenger side. There will then be a short piece of carpeting under the console next to each seat. With a flat bladed screwdriver, pry this piece forward to disengage it and remove it.
Step 2: Locate the panel with the rear a/c vents - it is on the top rear portion of the console. Using a thin blade, such as a putty knife, slip the blade between the front part of the panel and the top of the console. Apply gentle pressure and the vent panel will pop out - it is just held in by clips.
Step 3: Inside the hole where the vent was, you will see 3 10mm nuts. Remove these nuts and set aside.
Step 4 and step 5: On the sides of the console where you have removed the carpeting, you will see 2 philips screws next to the seat. Remove these screws. You do not have to remove the torx screws that are forward of the seats.
Step 6: The center console with the seat controls and storage compartment should now be able to be lifted enough to remove the 2 torx screws holding the small piece of trim in front of the seat controls. This will allow you to get to the front screw holding the seat control module in place. If you lift the console more than a few inches, the black plug will get pulled out from the lower front of the console - see the picture.
Step 7: You should now have access to the seat control module as well as the seat heat and memory control module. These modules slide together and lock in place. Replace the module that is giving you trouble, then just reverse the process. Remember to plug the black plug back into the bottom of the front part of the console. The wider part of the plug goes towards the back.
When replacing the carpeted pieces, replace the short section first. Then screw the front part of the long piece first, then snap the rest of the long piece into the clips. If you try it the other way, you will have a very hard time getting the screw (by the gas pedal) to line up with the hole.
Hope this helps. If you need additional help, contact me at georgeleague@yahoo.com. The pictures are not in the exact order of my instructions - See the pictures at: http://www.xolmatic.com/xprojects/XE...la_Central.htm I can send you clearer pictures if you need, but I couldn't figure out how to attach my own pictures to this message.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: 735i
Hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeleague View Post
The passenger side seat control knob on my 2005 745i quit working. I was able to order a replacement module off Ebay. The hard part was figuring how to get the console apart to replace the part. I was directed to a Spanish website with some pictures. I will now give step by step instructions and try to attach some pictures to illustrate the steps. Step 1: If you look under the dash to the right of the gas pedal, you will see a philips screw holding in a section of carpeting. Remove this screw and pull the carpeted section forward and down to disengage the clamps. Repeat on the passenger side. There will then be a short piece of carpeting under the console next to each seat. With a flat bladed screwdriver, pry this piece forward to disengage it and remove it.
Step 2: Locate the panel with the rear a/c vents - it is on the top rear portion of the console. Using a thin blade, such as a putty knife, slip the blade between the front part of the panel and the top of the console. Apply gentle pressure and the vent panel will pop out - it is just held in by clips.
Step 3: Inside the hole where the vent was, you will see 3 10mm nuts. Remove these nuts and set aside.
Step 4 and step 5: On the sides of the console where you have removed the carpeting, you will see 2 philips screws next to the seat. Remove these screws. You do not have to remove the torx screws that are forward of the seats.
Step 6: The center console with the seat controls and storage compartment should now be able to be lifted enough to remove the 2 torx screws holding the small piece of trim in front of the seat controls. This will allow you to get to the front screw holding the seat control module in place. If you lift the console more than a few inches, the black plug will get pulled out from the lower front of the console - see the picture.
Step 7: You should now have access to the seat control module as well as the seat heat and memory control module. These modules slide together and lock in place. Replace the module that is giving you trouble, then just reverse the process. Remember to plug the black plug back into the bottom of the front part of the console. The wider part of the plug goes towards the back.
When replacing the carpeted pieces, replace the short section first. Then screw the front part of the long piece first, then snap the rest of the long piece into the clips. If you try it the other way, you will have a very hard time getting the screw (by the gas pedal) to line up with the hole.
Hope this helps. If you need additional help, contact me at georgeleague@yahoo.com. The pictures are not in the exact order of my instructions - See the pictures at: http://www.xolmatic.com/xprojects/XE...la_Central.htm I can send you clearer pictures if you need, but I couldn't figure out how to attach my own pictures to this message.
Thanks for that a lot .. My seats just stopped working .. Can't adjust or no heating working ,, all of a sudden .. Can't move with inpa too but I can switch on the cooling and active seats .. So ill try replacing the seat module .. But where is it ? .. Is it the one under the seat where the wires go or is the one inside the arm rest like on that Spanish site ? ..please help my seats are stuck in a wired position
Old 10-11-2013, 06:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 745i
Hello Rushmach,
I am not a BMW mechanic, so I don't know the answer to your question. I only knew that my switch was bad, and that I had to replace the little module that held that switch. It took me a lot of time to investigate the solution, so I posted it so other persons would find it and not have so much trouble finding out how to fix it. I am sorry I don't know the answer to your question. Good luck...
George
Old 10-11-2013, 07:04 PM

Oh I see thanks anyway George much appreciated

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-11-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER View Post
To change the seat controls you have to take the center console completely apart

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Bimmer App
Any thoughts on my problem paper ? Thanks in advance

Old 10-12-2013, 10:35 AM

Sorted everything fixed with the replacement of seat module under the seat !!

Old 01-16-2014, 07:28 AM

Mein Auto: 06 750LI
Driver Seat Module - Help

RuschMach,

Like your car, I believe my driver seat module is bad. Like you, I believe it is the underseat module not the under console. You stated that you got yours sorted out.... Can you tell me the following:
1) Does the new module need to be coded into the cars system?
2) Having looked at the module, I can't see any way of removing it without taking the seat out. Any special tricks?
3) Do you have any resources available that might help me with this project?

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:34 AM

Hey sorry your having trouble .. Well it does not need to he codes .. And get another module off eBay .. It doesn't matter if it passenger or drivers side it's the same in my care at Least .. What options have you got like heated cooling and active seats ? ..

Just take the black panel covering the module .. Unplug all the wires .. Place new module above the old one .. Use some nice sticky and clean it too .. Plug wires in to new one place it above the old one .. Disconnect the battery before all of this .. This is you don't have to remove the seat ... I can't be bothered to remove the seat for a module that might fail again ,, I had no issues since I've done this .. Any questions lemme know .. Also I haven't even used any tape to secure it I've just left it on top it's pretty secure .. But it's better if you secure it ..