Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-24-2013, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 328!
cold weather clunk from trans well area

Hello to all and I thank you all for your responses in advance.
so i have a 97 E36 328i automatic. what i am experiencing is a repeated clunk that seems to come from inside the trans well on the passenger side that increases with speed, i can also feel it in the shift lever. it does it in forward and reverse, also while moving and in neutral so i don't think it is the trans. the weird part is that i pulled in to my shop to try and figure this out and as it sat and warmed up while i was tinkering around the clunk would slowly soften and then finally go away after about 2 hours, (with me moving forward and backward multiple times). Then it is fine, no noise, no shudder, nuthin. In the mornings i don't have the issue as i park in a heated garage but recently the temperature here has been in the negatives or around zero throughout the day and i have to park outside at work. i looked into it and all i could find that was close to the symptoms was cracking of the flex disc. but not sure why it would do it only when cold then go away slowly as it warmed up. if it were cracks in the disc i would expect it to be all the time. can anyone help?
Ads by Google