Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:48 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideme2 View Post
So you telling me that they don't know it stact are going to work??? By work? I mean no error codes and the MAIN REASON KEEP THE CAR COOLER.. If they didn't said it could fix any of those problem why buy then?????
They install 95C wax motor inside.
They will also test it, but whatever...
I guess here nobody wants to risk except me.... I spent 250$ smth already on 95C tstat and I'm not 100% happy with results, though I can tell my car runs at 98 max and very fast now!!! I even tried burnout and it worked kinda funny e66 long crocodile spinning r19 tires and without doing cheap brake and gas pedal together launch (good luck with tranny clutches).
Whatever....

My throttle response now and stock exhaust sound:
http://youtu.be/xUy3EvYEabQ

Last edited by SFbay; 01-23-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:39 PM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0
Ill grab one and test it. And ill certainly grab more after. And i wont post what happens here if nobody else will risk the cost and shipping. Ill leave some sort of tip for your work. Please pm asa they arrive.

06 X5 3.0 Toledo Blue Metallic/Light Beige 2:
Adaptive Xenon Headlamps, Panoramic Sunroof, Rear Sunshades,
+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Old 01-23-2013, 03:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 545i
SFbay Did you want us to go in on it up front?I don't want a warranty and up front money will take a lot more info.Like company names and contacts etc.I don't know you from anybody else on here.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbay View Post
So I have to risk my money and then provide warranty and everything???
I got 55$ only bc I ordered 100pcs otherwise they won't even do anything. Hmmm do I really look that stupid??? I'm kinda disappointed at this forum ....
I'm going to trade my car in tomorrow on a F01. If I were going to keep the car, I would buy 10. Not sure what thermostat that car has but if it uses the same I will get in touch and see if you moved forward with this. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:52 PM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjklj View Post
I'm going to trade my car in tomorrow on a F01. If I were going to keep the car, I would buy 10. Not sure what thermostat that car has but if it uses the same I will get in touch and see if you moved forward with this. Thanks.
Why would you need 10?? to replace it every month???
F01 has the same tstat
Old 01-23-2013, 09:43 PM

Mein Auto: Nothing
I realized something tonight that could be a major oversight by us.. The other day I got my windshield wipers fluid nozzles fixed.. I replaced all the plastics.. Anyway, tonight I decided to try it out.. after a couple sprays the heated portion kicked in and I smelled coolant right away.. I then remembered just like my MB S class, that the windshield wiper fluid is heated by the coolant too.. That could very well be an area that may be breached.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:19 PM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpcpro View Post
I realized something tonight that could be a major oversight by us.. The other day I got my windshield wipers fluid nozzles fixed.. I replaced all the plastics.. Anyway, tonight I decided to try it out.. after a couple sprays the heated portion kicked in and I smelled coolant right away.. I then remembered just like my MB S class, that the windshield wiper fluid is heated by the coolant too.. That could very well be an area that may be breached.
And who told you that nonsense???
Where on earth you saw it in bmw???
Coolant lines have nothing to do with windshield wipers or reservoir.
So your car sprays coolant now?))
Just another awesome invention by cmpro. I'm sorry it's just too funny))

Dude, you smell coolant just bc your valley pan or rear plate leaking so it evaporates coolant. Or your heater core, or you put coolant instead of Windshield fluid.

Last edited by SFbay; 01-23-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
And who told you that nonsense???
Where on earth you saw it in bmw???
Coolant lines have nothing to do with windshield wipers or reservoir.
So your car sprays coolant now?))
Just another awesome invention by cmpro. I'm sorry it's just too funny))

Dude, you smell coolant just bc your valley pan or rear plate leaking so it evaporates coolant. Or your heater core, or you put coolant instead of Windshield fluid.
Are you kidding me? You think, I think my car sprays coolant? Let me ask you this.. My MB heated the windshield wiper fluid with the cars coolant.. I don't know if BMW does or not, but I haven't smelled coolant in WEEKS and the instant, at night, and when my car isn't even up to complete running temp I run the windshield wiper fluid, it runs, no smell, then the second it starts coming out hot I smell a whiff of coolant.. sounds a little funny to me..
Old 01-24-2013, 03:05 AM

So the coolant warms the washer fluid?I would have thought it would have had its own heating element.So depending on how this heat exchanger is constructed it could breach from one to the other.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 750i
Quote:
Why would you need 10?? to replace it every month???
F01 has the same tstat
I was only planning on doing that to help you and the forum. Didn't want you to have to eat all the up front cost. If 10 people bought 10 it would be more manageable and they could sell to the other members. Each person would be out $550 rather than you being out $5500 all by yourself.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjklj View Post
I was only planning on doing that to help you and the forum. Didn't want you to have to eat all the up front cost. If 10 people bought 10 it would be more manageable and they could sell to the other members. Each person would be out $550 rather than you being out $5500 all by yourself.
I will second that^^^
Old 01-24-2013, 09:00 AM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpcpro View Post
Are you kidding me? You think, I think my car sprays coolant? Let me ask you this.. My MB heated the windshield wiper fluid with the cars coolant.. I don't know if BMW does or not, but I haven't smelled coolant in WEEKS and the instant, at night, and when my car isn't even up to complete running temp I run the windshield wiper fluid, it runs, no smell, then the second it starts coming out hot I smell a whiff of coolant.. sounds a little funny to me..
This is what I was saying:
I know about Benz that they had it since at least 1980, kinda smart idea
But bmw never had it tis way, plus if you replaced all hoses you should know it too.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
This is what I was saying:
I know about Benz that they had it since at least 1980, kinda smart idea
But bmw never had it tis way, plus if you replaced all hoses you should know it too.
Okay, well it just seemed like a strange coincidence because I could clearly smell coolant as the hot spray came out, and I knew MB has done it with coolant so I had hope.. I replaced the lines but I have no idea if it hooks on to the motor somewhere to get hot water, or somewhere from the heater core.. I haven't looked up the plumbing.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:36 AM

What about taking the valve out of the stock thermostat .Installing an inline thermostat in the upper hose going to the radiator.Would take longer to heat up because engine bypass not there.Land Rover guys have already done this and run what ever temp tsat they want.http://www.jegs.com/i/Meziere/680/WN...FRRbnAodawwAEQ
Old 01-24-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfan13 View Post
What about taking the valve out of the stock thermostat .Installing an inline thermostat in the upper hose going to the radiator.Would take longer to heat up because engine bypass not there.Land Rover guys have already done this and run what ever temp tsat they want.http://www.jegs.com/i/Meziere/680/WN...FRRbnAodawwAEQ
Oh man!! That would work great, never thought about that!!
Old 01-24-2013, 11:21 AM

I have a spare tstat with valve removed .Guess I will order a new upper hose as I don't know the age of my current hose.Cut the old one in half and put this housing inline with a tstat temp of my choice.Now to get off my lazy butt.May be a week or so ,too cold here now and I'm working long hours.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I have a spare tstat with valve removed .Guess I will order a new upper hose as I don't know the age of my current hose.Cut the old one in half and put this housing inline with a tstat temp of my choice.Now to get off my lazy butt.May be a week or so ,too cold here now and I'm working long hours.
You will have to put it in the lower hose, that's the flow of the system, and how it enters the water pump.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:51 AM

You would need the tsat on the "hot " hose going into the radiator.I believe that's the upper hose.My only concern would be not closing the engine bypass once up to temperature as the stock tsat is gutted.Also need to add a heater bypass before the inline tstat.

Last edited by dolfan13; 01-24-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
You would need the tsat on the "hot " hose going into the radiator.I believe that's the upper hose.My only concern would be not closing the engine bypass once up to temperature as the stock tsat is gutted.Also need to add a heater bypass before the inline tstat.
If the stock thermostat is designed to run on the lower hose, then that is how the system is designed. The upper hose is the hot water being expelled from the engine, no need to limit that, we want it out as quick as possible. The stock thermostat is working on the lower hose like designed I don't see why the inline should be any different.. I would think it would be best placed as close to the old one as possible.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:26 PM

Stock tstat is 105c bottom hose turns fan on at 65c and coolant is already flowing,tstat open.105c tstat will never be open by lower hose at 75c right?Google n62 PDF go to engine cooling section it will show the flow.

Last edited by dolfan13; 01-24-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:35 PM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

Lower hose has nothing to do with tstat opening only fan turning on, temp at wp is what determines the tstat opening.

+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Old 01-24-2013, 12:36 PM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

Therefor if you gut the old tstat and put a tstat in lower hose, you would essentially be replacing the tstat on our wp

.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Old 01-24-2013, 12:46 PM

I thought about lower hose but don't think enough of the hot coolant would reach tstat.Also might slam right back shut as cold in rush from radiator.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:13 PM
rideme2

Mein Auto: 2006li bmw
I have a question? Why did I get a check engine light on when I cut just one coil of the stact? I don't think 750 is different from 745??? Did any body cut a coil and installed it in there car??? If I gut my stact I think I'll get a check engine light???
2006 750li K&N Filters Giovanna Kilis on 265/30/22 305/25/22 HID fogs 6000k Mtec angel eyes all lights 6000k ACS front lip,ACS rear wing,ACS rear window wing.dual exhaust working qual tips, rear camera, upgrade DVD to front watch jl13.5t sub with jl500/1v2 amp power cap.PassPort 9500ci,CrossDrilled&Slotted Rotors with EBC Brake Pads.Rear comfort seats, Fully loaded from dealer. Next mod iPhone hookup, .
Old 01-24-2013, 02:14 PM
Account Under Review

Ok here is update:
My valley pan was leaking all over, that's why I was loosing pressure and tstat wasn't working at all!

Didn't install a new one yet, but I think it was the main root of a problem. Need sec air hose it was broken too;(

If you never replaced valley pan and the car is 5-7 old. Replace it ASAP!

Last edited by SFbay; 01-24-2013 at 02:17 PM.