Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-24-2013, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: E91
How many are over the "Beeemer" thing?

I'm wondering if the culture of BMW owners, uh I mean drivers, has changed. I changed to "drivers" because so many are leased......

I've never bought a car because of image or status, but rather for its quality, durability, comfort, drive-ability, economics...... Several times I refused to buy a car because even though it fit my requirements, I had problems with its image or status, mostly related to past experiences. For example, upon getting my 95 530i stick shift, I immediately noticed that other drivers would speed up to prevent me from merging onto the freeway or to change lanes. I would be shown drivers'middle fingers when passing or honked at when stopped to parallel park.

Though I'm an American, I've always had more of a European sense about cars. This explains almost comically, why I've owned two Peugeots and an Alfa, to mention a few. With respect my current car, a 2007 328i wagon, I need a smaller wagon for my business that is suitable for 250-450 one way trips on the highways of California several times a year. I don't care for the handling characteristics of SUV's, particularly in high winds, so a wagon it must be. The choices of quality smaller wagons are few.....Subaru, Audi and BMW are about it so far as CPO choices (though the Mazda 6 would be perfect, except they were too rare in 2010). We've had good luck with my wife's Saabs, but in 2010 it was not the "ideal" time to buy and I don't like Volvo. VW makes a couple good ones, but since there is a BMW dealer 5 minutes from my home, it became my target car.

Target car indeed.... There have been many times when I wish I'd used it for target practice. Other than it's excellent performance my BMW is a stinker. It's numerous problems should be an embarrassment to the brand....here are the major ones:
31,000 miles the automatic door locking system failed...the night I purchased it...on my anniversary....failed when the valet brought the car after dropping $400 on a lovely dinner
31,000 miles....somehow, some way, BMW's expert CPO crew MISSED the grinding left rear wheel bearing..warranty.
31,050 miles on..I noticed that while wearing polarized sunglasses one cannot read the radio display...Somehow nobody at BMW knows about this though it's all over the web...more fun...my Blackberry Storm2 that supposedly worked with the on board hands free system didn't work properly...(It works fine with my Samsung Galaxy).....
50,000 miles or so...the tube for the windshield washer leaks....two weeks earlier and it would have been covered by the first part of my CPO warranty, but now it's almost $400...ha ha...hey, none of my cars ever had that fail, not even either of my Peugeots...
54,000 miles...electric water pump failed...covered by warranty with $50 deductible....
58,000...the left outside mirror adjustment range no longer allows proper adjustment...another $50 warranty repair...it's been going on for a while...

Anyway, most of these problems are not expected regardless of how much research one does....do I have a lemon? Maybe, but honestly, compared to most of the cars that I've driven over my lifetime for about 700,000 miles, this dog is by far the most disappointing.... I am at times embarrassed to tell people what I drive lest they stereotype me as one of them Beemer drivers....

Sorry folks, it's just a car and not a very good one at that. Fortunately it's got good resale value and as soon as the warranty is up it's going to the pound. Watch your knees on those cup holders, will you?

Okay, I know, my leased Mazda CX-7 spoiled me... 36,000 miles, after initial software issues, never in for repair, never needed brakes and only needed one tire when turned in at lease end...comparable gas mileage to 3 series too....

Last edited by powerharp; 01-24-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-24-2013, 03:01 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
The "Beeemer thing"?
Old 01-24-2013, 03:08 PM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
What's a Beeemer?

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 01-24-2013, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: E91
What's a Beeemer?

It's a Beemer with an extra E for Ego
Old 01-24-2013, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
Cool story bro.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Nice rant, sorry to hear. My 2007 E91 was trouble free.

Advice: Sell the beamer (sp?) and buy something more reliable, innovative and stylish. Perhaps something like a Honda Fit, or perhaps larger like a Ford Escape?

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tier1Support View Post
Cool story bro.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:58 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
I thought Beemers were the motorcycle line and Bimmer were the automobiles?

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust
Old 01-24-2013, 05:16 PM

Mein Auto: 06 330i MT Sport TiAg
Your gonna get a good lashing for your story, but I will agree. Might be filled with technonlogy, but its poorly executed and built cheap for weight savings. Kinda like the Apple of automobiles..... Its ours and you cant modify it ( I will use the radio being the gateway for vehicle functions as an example). Windshield weatherstrip that dry rots after 2 years, rear window regulators that break waaaaay easy, lifter tick bla bla bla. These are basic automotive parts that should not be an issue early on with an "advanced engineered car". Defend it all you want, it is what it is.

I have one because I enjoy the driving experience it offers. I work in Germany a couple months every year and get to drive the autobahn daily. Got me hooked on day one. Now I cant drive that fast here of course, but still enjoy the handling euro cars offer. The price of that experience is $1000 headlights, $400 window regulators, battery registration....
OP, your right, but still love my 330i.

PS. People had issues with a BMW in southern Cali? I fly into Burbank and sitting at the dropoff looking at cars seemed like 80% were BMW is some shape or form. That is a lot of middle fingers flying around!!!!

Sorry to piggyback your observatons, wanted you to have a supporter.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmr3sn View Post
PS. People had issues with a BMW in southern Cali? I fly into Burbank and sitting at the dropoff looking at cars seemed like 80% were BMW is some shape or form. That is a lot of middle fingers flying around!!!!
Yep, but not just BMWs (Mercs get it too). It's not too bad here on the westside (only Audi and Priuses act that way), but in the surrounding areas it can get pretty tiresome... and the weekends when it's sunny and those a$$es want to go to the beach.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
Bimmer.
Sorry for your problems. You've had more than your share and I know it's frustrating. I've driven BMW's for quite a while and have had next to no problems. Ceretainly no more than the Toyota's I drove prior to BMW. Maybe it's time for you to move on. Good luck with whatever you do...
Old 01-24-2013, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
I feel your pain, I have always owned Toyotas, then 5 years ago bought a Triumph TR6, because my cousin let me drive his, and it was fun, so I got one, also because I could work on the car myself, repainted it, rewired it, rebuilt the engine too. its also a convertible and not too many on the road so I always get noticed. I always like BMW;s mainly the older ones. then my brother in law showed up with a volvo hard top convertible and since I like convertibles I started looking for a hard top convertible and ended up zeroing in on the 335I Hard top convertible, I was always under the impression that BMW made really great, dependable cars. So I found a 2007, checked it out and purchased it thru car max last November. No issues yet, but I got to tell you If I would have signed up for this forum before I bought the car and read all the issues and expensive repairs that some have gone thru, I probably would not have purchased the BMW. So far I have felt lucky that I have had no issues but then I only drive the car on the weekend and only have had it for 3 months. The triumph is now a start up cruse around the block, early morning drives, summer kind of car plus my insurance wont let me drive it but 3500 miles a year and I cannot use it as a daily driver either, so thats why I got the BMW plus I wont have to ever replace a soft top on it. Well thats my story, at least I can sell the BMW and get most of my money out of it, the triumph is another story, I dont want to add up the receipts that I have spent on the triumph got to be in the 50K range over 5 years

Hondo
Old 01-24-2013, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
also as a side note. maybe its just BMW owners or me but I always fix anything that goes wrong with a car, but I bet most people that had all those problems would only fix what they had to to keep the car on the road, and the minor things, like the door locks not working, or the mirrors they would not bother with it, I got a brother in law and all his car look like crap, dents, cracked windshields, windows dont work, seats dont move, AC broke, doors dont open from the inside Etc and he could care less. but then he who has the ****test car has the right of way

Hondo
Old 01-24-2013, 06:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
also as a side note. maybe its just BMW owners or me but I always fix anything that goes wrong with a car, but I bet most people that had all those problems would only fix what they had to to keep the car on the road, and the minor things, like the door locks not working, or the mirrors they would not bother with it, I got a brother in law and all his car look like crap, dents, cracked windshields, windows dont work, seats dont move, AC broke, doors dont open from the inside Etc and he could care less. but then he who has the ****test car has the right of way

Hondo
I think most people you find here fix things when they break.

Also, all car message boards are going to have people complaining about problems (no offense OP). People that don't have problems usually don't talk about it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App
Old 01-24-2013, 06:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerharp View Post
I'm wondering if the culture of BMW owners, uh I mean drivers, has changed. I changed to "drivers" because so many are leased......

No me.

I got both.

Bike [Beemer] and car [Bimmer]

Gotta have some way to discriminate in conversation.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:38 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
The "Beeemer thing"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
What's a Beeemer?
"Beeemer" is what people who don't own 'em think it's cool to call them. Kind of like people who have never been within 10 feet of a Porsche who constantly refer to them as a "Porsh".

It is annoying as hell, but a futile battle to attempt to correct.

To OP: My dad had multiple experiences in a '95 540i (bought new) such as you describe. He has numerous times queried me about getting the same type of reactions from other drivers and honestly, maybe it's just a difference of location, but where I live, the 3 series cabrio isn't particularly annoying to other drivers. Every once in a while I'll get somebody who baits me a little but when I don't bite it's a non-event. Sorry to hear your E91 has been such trouble. At almost 25K my '09 328i has had a few minor (and I mean really minor in the scheme of things) issues related to the retractable top. Other than that the engine, drivetrain, and standard electrics such as windows and door locks have been rock solid. It eats batteries like their going out of style, but part of that is my fault, so I'm not going to completely blame BMW, just needed to learn what to do and not do.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 01-24-2013, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Bimmer..Owned 5 of em with less than half your issues on your one.If i wanted reliability I would get a Lexus.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:50 PM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: 2014 F22 M235i
To;dr I lease and enjoy the car.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
You are comparing a new Mazda to someone else's used second hand BMW in terms of reliability? Buy new and take care of it, then you might have grounds to make a comparison.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:15 PM
Bond Girl

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 328i
Quote:
... I immediately noticed that other drivers would speed up to prevent me from merging onto the freeway or to change lanes. I would be shown drivers'middle fingers when passing or honked at when stopped to parallel park.
Just the other day I was trying to change lanes and almost got run off the road by a beat up old van that sped up and wouldn't let me change lanes, and I could see the driver cursing at me for even daring to make an attempt to get in his lane. Then today, I got cut off by a Toyota SUV that had been sitting behind me for a while when he finally decided to not only flash his brights at me, but proceeded to go around me and cut me off without signaling. Mind you, I was abiding by all traffic laws, so I'm not sure what the deal was. Bad luck, or just the nature of the beast when driving a BMW amongst non-BMW friendly drivers? I don't know... but I feel your pain.

Sorry about all of your maintenance issues, I wish you better luck in the future.

"Just the thing for unwinding after a rough day at the office."
BMW CCA Member 473595

2009 E90 Alpine White | Saddle Brown | Sport | Premium | Comfort Access | iDrive | Steptronic | Super Fantastic | Bavarian Beast

Old 01-24-2013, 08:22 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop362 View Post
Bimmer..Owned 5 of em with less than half your issues on your one.If i wanted reliability I would get a Lexus.
I have had both and have not had reliability issues with either (other than my well documented RFTs, OEM shock, NYC roads nightmare).

Actually now that I think of it my 92 Lexus SC300 had a timing belt failure at 30,000 miles (repaired under warranty). The 335i is in the shop now getting the brake pads repaired under the (extended) maintenance. The 750 is still pretty new but has also been trouble free.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 01-24-2013, 08:27 PM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi (E90)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingbimmer View Post
Just the other day I was trying to change lanes and almost got run off the road....
Crazy, getting cut-off happened to me twice this week. I never noticed such blatant discourtesy (not to mention inches from high speed wreckage) in previous years of driving my current car or any car. The highest-level defensive driving techniques are back in order...
At port: March 19, 2008
Shipped on Graceful Leader: March 21, 2008
Arrived Port Hueneme: April 11, 2008
At dealer's: April 19, 2008
Delivered: April 21, 2008
Old 01-24-2013, 08:43 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
you bought it with 31000 on it if the car wasn't taken care of I'm not surprised things went sour quick.from what i understand BMW's are not bought for reliability or cheap upkeep maintenance .sorry to hear your issues hopefully you have better luck next time

Sent from my XT557 using Bimmer App
Old 01-25-2013, 04:26 AM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
Quote:
With respect my current car, a 2007 328i wagon, I need a smaller wagon for my business that is suitable for 250-450 one way trips on the highways of California several times a year.
In addition to the Mazda, the Hyundai Elantra Touting is smaller, but it doesn't look like it's being sold for 2013.

Sorry about the E91. Mine has had less than stellar reliability, but it didn't have an Evil Previous Owner, so I just have myself (and BMW) to blame. If you buy another used Eurocar, a pre-purchase inspection by an independent shop that knows the marque might be advisable.

I won't buy the new E31 because BMW is importing them with automatic transmissions only, so the reliability is a moot point.

My E91 has been about as much fun to drive as a station wagon can be, that's why I bought it.
2008 E91 station wagon 20K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display.

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 01-25-2013, 05:33 AM
unbekannt

Mein Auto: 750Li Hi-Sec, '13 Actros
when you go with a used/preowned, even CPO, you are always taking a gamble.

chris