Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 01-20-2013, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 740iL
Look What Followed Me Home - New '99 740iL Owner

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-6...0/IMGA0013.JPG

I'd like to introduce everyone to my new (to me) automobile just purchased a couple weeks ago. I have always admired BMW's for their style and performance. I enjoy performance/exotic/sports cars and was casually looking for a nice four-door "sports car". I began looking on Craigslists in Albuquerque and all around the Southwest. Cars I located nearby were either too trashed out or the asking price was not in line with the condition of the car....or, they were the wrong color (for me). I had also done a thorough search on Ebay and located a very nice white (the color I wanted) example in Las Vegas but the dealer was not willing to negotiate from his price.

On Friday, December 28, my 17 year old son, Joshua and I made a Banzai run to Phoenix, AZ to look at two BMW 740’s. The two cars located in Phoenix were a white 2001 740i with a sports package and 128,000 miles and was being offered by the original owner. The second was a 2001 740iL offered by the nephew of the owner. The nephew was the former owner of the car and knew the most about it so he was fielding the calls. The iL was silver and had 152,000 miles on it along with Magnaflow exhaust and drilled brake rotors.

Joshua and I left home at 5am on Friday morning in his '92 MR2 and arrived in Phoenix about 500 miles later at around 12:00pm. We grabbed some lunch and called the owner of the white car and found out that the person I was speaking with was just the owners representative. We went to view the car which at first glance was a sharp looking car but the more you looked the worse it got. Raising the hood revealed tons of leaves and oil splashed everywhere. The engine was leaking it like a spaghetti strainer. There were many things wrong with the car inside and out and it was disappointing to find that someone would have spent $70K on a car like that only to let it come apart at the seams. While it didn’t look like much, it did run well. I decided not to even make an offer. Bummer. On to the next one.

We arrived at the next owners home in Mesa. He backed the car out of the garage and the Magnaflows really sounded nice. The paint really looked sharp even though silver wasn't my first color choice. The car did have some issues though, including a rattle when the car was running (which he said they never could figure out) as 150,000 miles of stone chips across the hood. We went for a drive and it didn’t have near the power of the white car we had just driven. It was about a 100 times cleaner though. The owner was negotiable and said his uncle would take $6500. I had to think about it so Joshua and I went for a walk down the street. As we walked I started thinking about the white car in Las Vegas. It had ½ the miles of the silver car and was almost like new.

After the walk, I went back to the silver car and spoke with the owner and decided to make an offer on it. He said his uncle would not budge from $6.5K. I started telling the owner about the white car in Las Vegas and was going on and on about it. As I was telling him about the near new condition of the Vegas car, I heard a voice in my head say, “Well, if it’s such a great car, what are you doing here? Go buy it!”

After saying our goodbye’s to the gentleman in Mesa, Joshua and I set out to find some dinner. It was about 5pm by that time. As we were driving to find some dinner, I told Joshua that I was disappointed in the condition of the cars we saw but I was really happy my offer wasn't accepted. What we should do, I told Joshua, is go buy the one in Las Vegas! So we stopped for dinner, called the dealer to make sure the car was still available and then made plans to drive to Vegas that very night! What the heck, what's another 300 miles when we are having so much fun!

We finished dinner about 6pm and headed north to visit friends in Black Canyon City that we had not seen in 13 years. We had a nice visit until about 8pm and then made our way out the door to Vegas. We drove through the night and arrived at 11pm (time change made us lose and hour) and found a hotel near the dealership. An 800 plus mile day trip normally makes for good sleeping at night but I was too excited to sleep and tossed and turned all night.

The next morning I called on another white 740 for sale in Vegas as a back up in case the one we were planning on seeing didn’t work out. I needn’t have worried.

We arrived at the dealer, eAutoniche, at 10am and they had the car sitting out front. It looked spectacular! Closer inspection revealed minor things but the overall shape and cleanliness of the car was off the charts in comparison to what I had seen advertised and in person.

The salesman's name was Matthew and he was very polite and easy to talk to. I spent about 30 minutes going over the car and then we went for a test drive. It ran phenomenally! It looked spectacular and I knew we would be driving this car home. I made an offer which was accepted and right then and there we bought a gorgeous 1999 740iL with 85,000 miles on the clock. It had spent it's entire life in the Phoenix, Arizona area and is completely rust free as most all Southwest cars are.

Joshua and I walked to the bank which was located right around the corner and brought back a cashiers check for him while Matthew filled out paperwork. It was a very simple pain free process all the way through and we ended up with a car that was light years nicer than the others we had seen for sale.

Joshua and I headed back out of town and pointed both the cars towards home. We eventually stopped for the night in Holbrook, AZ on Saturday evening. I checked the fuel economy and was very surprised to find out that we got almost 28 miles to the gallon with the BMW.

The 3 hour trip home the next day was uneventful and we cruised at 85mph and I got a little of 24mpg on the way home.

To me, the iconic BMW is a white car with the “M” colors on it somewhere like the original BMW M1 or older BMW race cars. So, the day after we got home I was already photoshopping the 740iL with a splash of color. At first, I had the three M colors going from the middle of the front fenders to the edge of the hood. While my kids and I liked the look, my wife Cynthia, did not. She sent me back to the drawing board where I came up with the design currently on the car. Everyone seems to like the design and I can’t find a single other 740 with anything like it so that makes it unique. I call it my "Nurburgring Special Edition."

Since the colors are simply applied with vinyl lettering material, if I ever want to remove it or change the design, it is a very simple process.

The BMW shares space in the garage with my daily driver which is LOTS of fun but much more of a handful to operate. It's the red one parked next to the BMW in the photos in the link below....warning...90 photos in the link

https://picasaweb.google.com/Demick6...11357497588338

By the way, the photos of the 740iL parked all by itself on the road are taken where the new Arnold Schwartzeneger film "The Last Stand" was partially filmed...it is where the "cornfield" scenes were shot with the Camaro and Corvette ZR-1.

This is my first post on the forum and I hope it wasn't too wordy!_a_
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2013, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 740iL
Nice read...beautiful car.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:43 PM
Coffee Extraordinaire

Mein Auto: 2001 740i Sport
awesome.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 740i
Great story. Im also in NM with a silver 740i. I have engine and airbag code readers. Iv been dealing with these cars for awhile. If you ever need anything, just let me know.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSC540ia View Post
Great story. Im also in NM with a silver 740i. I have engine and airbag code readers. Iv been dealing with these cars for awhile. If you ever need anything, just let me know.
I have been wondering how many other New Mexico cars are on the forum...thanks for letting me know you are out there I lived in Alamogordo a LONG time ago!
Old 01-22-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnell99 View Post
I lived in Alamogordo a LONG time ago!
Im sure not much has changed sense you lived here. Were getting Carl's Jr. in about a month! There building it now. I gotta say....it is 10 fold over Clovis. I was stationed there for 2 years back in 03-05.

You at Kirtland?
Old 01-23-2013, 06:19 AM

No, I am not at Kirtland. It was my dad who was stationed down in Alamo way back. He retired in '71. He just hauled my mom, sister and me around the world with him while he was enlisted, ha ha! Carl Jr.'s? Wow, Alamogordo has hit big city status now!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 740i
Great story. Great pictures. Great reading. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnell99 View Post
Carl Jr.'s? Wow, Alamogordo has hit big city status now!
LOL...I know right.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 740IL
Great story ... thanks for sharing!
Old 03-28-2013, 11:36 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 740 IL 2001
I need your help

Quote:
How can you help me find an engine for a BMW 740 IL 2001?
Old 04-05-2013, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 325i Convertible
Personally, the 740 would be my daily driver and the Pantera for fun...though I find my 740 fun to drive. Beautiful buy...gave me an urge to maybe shop around for a newer one than my 1995. Thanks...jimf
Old 04-05-2013, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 740 IL 2001
Help needed

Quote:
How can you help find an engine for my 740 IL 2001 BMW? I would appreciate having some help from you bro! You can email me at franceloti@yahoo.com or reply from here.
Thanks!