Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 09-10-2012, 10:37 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo View Post
Why they hell would he try that?? If he went around to the back of the house, no one would have seen him. Whatta chowderhead.
The reason he didn't go around to the back is that he could not easily access it. I have an automatic iron gate that secures the back part of my driveway and garage entry- it was closed. I also have a man gate on the side of my house leading to the back as well as a larger gate providing access to my back yard. They are both secured with dead bolt locks.

I have had some professional experience with the temptation that simple opportunity can bring to an otherwise fine human being. My objective for my personal space has been to assuage that opportunity to the extent that an otherwise fine human being will seek it elsewhere. I never felt right about not putting the old security doors back up. But my neighbors just loved those snappy new front doors. They didn't want to hide them behind the security doors. The same kind of doors have been installed in my homes for 16 years. Never a problem. 3 months without them and opportunity knocked- or I might say- it kicked.

With the added steps I am taking to secure our home now, we'll be looking at a much more desperate human being within another intrusion. The next person will have to know that personal interaction is required if they want inside. They will be much more prepared than this guy was. If I am not fully prepared the next time, I am under no illusion that it will work out as well for anyone.

Last edited by PropellerHead; 09-10-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:42 AM
Displaced Charger Fan

Mein Auto: 330Ci Convertible
Absolutely crazy story! Glad you're alright -

I’m usually a ninja, but my Spidey-senses told me he was going to take a fall, so I saved his life. - Martellus Bennett
Old 09-11-2012, 09:03 PM
Original *****

Mein Auto: '09 E90 LCI
Thanks for the story. I'm moving into a new home soon, and this makes me pause and reconsider that ornate door...that has a glass window in it.

GSD is on my list of deterrent measures.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Bimmer app
Old 10-09-2012, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: 745
My dad served 13/mo for turning someone into spongebob same scenario. Breaking in, WELCOME TO CALIFORNIA.
05- CBR 1000RR
2008- D13 volvo 780

Old 10-09-2012, 09:31 AM
On Top

Send a message via AIM to SWISS Send a message via Yahoo to SWISS
Mein Auto: E30 S52 / S52 M roady
Oh man that's freaky! Glad you and you're family are safe bro!

I bet you never let this happen again.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
Just read this and DAMN that could have been much much MUCH worser. SUPER glad you and your loved ones are fine.

How are you coping these days? I'm sure you're much more attentive during the nights to every sound.

I have always all my life pondered on ways to prepare oneself in such frightening situations. Suppose someone does enter and suppose they take the family hostage, there should be precautions such as boobytraps and/or secret alerts to the police. I know it may sound funny but it's better safe(er) than sorry.

Reading your OP I felt I was in your shoes and my adrenaline was pumping, so I can't imagine what you went though. Kudos for clear and quick thinking, because I would have been all over him 'til he was dead.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:23 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj745 View Post
Just read this and DAMN that could have been much much MUCH worser. SUPER glad you and your loved ones are fine.

How are you coping these days? I'm sure you're much more attentive during the nights to every sound.

I have always all my life pondered on ways to prepare oneself in such frightening situations. Suppose someone does enter and suppose they take the family hostage, there should be precautions such as boobytraps and/or secret alerts to the police. I know it may sound funny but it's better safe(er) than sorry.

Reading your OP I felt I was in your shoes and my adrenaline was pumping, so I can't imagine what you went though. Kudos for clear and quick thinking, because I would have been all over him 'til he was dead.
Thank you all for your posts and well wishes. I promise you that your concern is well placed. I had no idea how long it would take to move on from this incident. I can tell you that my wife and I have been doing very well in the past 30-45 days. But it did take some time for me not to see an imaginary man standing in the glass of my front doors. I didn't sleep well for weeks after. I found myself within some coping mechanisms that weren't exactly healthy- neither then were they terribly effective.

The huge steel replacement doors we ordered have yet to arrive. We knew it would take up to 14 weeks, so we expect them around Christmas or so. We've grown used to the old iron doors. I found myself wondering if I really should have spent so much $ on the new doors. But, all I really have to do is put myself back to that day. I said 'never again,' and these doors will accomplish that. I am still not secure about the back doors. I never was happy with how flimsy I felt they were. These doors- ordered a set also for the rear- will answer my concerns.

I did purchase two more hand guns for placement in other parts of the house. These are not carry weapons. They are full size .45's. We have a child and frequent guests of the child's age, so I have identified lockable mounts for them and the shotguns. Until they arrive, I will not store them outside of the wall safes they're currently in.

Other changes:
  • I find myself rarely without a handgun. I keep one with me in the car, or another in my pocket pretty much all the time- even at home.
  • The front gate (as we call it) is now rarely open. We used to leave it open if we were making a short trip, or if we knew one another would be home soon. It's closed.
  • The doors are never left unlocked. This may seem obvious, but I mean even if we venture to a neighbor's house for a few minutes. We keep it locked down.
  • We got a monitored alarm system. The alarm can be armed and disarmed via cell phone. It's pretty trick. It's also on every night. I even turn it on if I am home alone.
  • We rescued a dog. His name is Sampson and he's 2 or 3 years old. Typical to his name, he's a big baby for the family, but will scare the bejeezus out anything or anyone else who does not belong. He's quickly become a favorite of my daughter whom he outweighs by nearly 2:1.
  • Every service vendor we know has been made aware that they should call ahead if they'll be here. Yard work, sprinkler system, pest control, appliance maintenance, painters, plumbers, or other contractors. They all know that ringing the door bell around here causes a little stress if we don't expect them. A stranger walking around the yard might get some very pointed questions asked by a very nervous and very prepared homeowner.
  • I notice every single white Mercury Gran Marquis. And there are a TON of them. I look in for the same man that came to my house that day. All I see are hundreds of men that meet the description of the man. I realize now how difficult it would be for anyone but me to know if they'd found the right person.
I've resigned myself to the fact he'll never be found. That the police have stopped looking for him. And crucially, that one day he'll actually get caught. Or shot. The man has chosen a dangerous line of existence. He'll eventually find himself on the wrong end of it.

And oddly, I consider a perspective from my mother who is growing more and more frail as disease takes a slow toll on her body. She offered that maybe the experience changed him just as it had changed me. Maybe, she dreamed for a minute, maybe he got so scared that he'll never put himself in harm's way like that again. "Wouldn't it be wonderful?" she mused. It would be wonderful. More than anything, the thought reminds me from where I get the unflappable optimism I carry around in real life. It's one of the things my mother gave me that makes we want to be around people. I'd like to think it makes people want to be around me, too.

Funny how such a terrible thing can bring with it such a fantastic one. But that's how we get along, isn't it? Seeking the light where we see none often requires that we create it. Even if it is out of the slightest possibility, hope springs eternal in the human breast.

Last edited by PropellerHead; 11-16-2012 at 04:52 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:52 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Spike Holmes
Mein Auto: 525i, G35
May God continue to bless you and protect you my friend. (Along with the .45's of course)
Old 11-16-2012, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: 740iL
What kind of door you have for front door? You know it is NOT easy to kick any front door out of its locking system. Even for a strong man, it takes a lot of impact to knock a door down and hurt like hell afterward. Well, shouldn't you grab a weapon before you answer to the door or at least get dressed. LOL j/k. Glad you're ok and I like to know what the police did or if they ever did anything.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:43 PM

Mein Auto: Porsche
That's a messed up story, but unfortunately, something that is becoming too common an occurrence these days. In Canada, it's difficult to obtain a gun, so I've had to "fortify" the house to prevent unauthorized entry. Removable bars in the basement windows and I installed this bad boy a couple of years ago. NOBODY is kicking down this front door...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	door.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	349808  

Old 11-17-2012, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAB View Post
That's a messed up story, but unfortunately, something that is becoming too common an occurrence these days. In Canada, it's difficult to obtain a gun, so I've had to "fortify" the house to prevent unauthorized entry. Removable bars in the basement windows and I installed this bad boy a couple of years ago. NOBODY is kicking down this front door...
Nice

and we have the same colour walls
Old 11-17-2012, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: 4Runner-BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Holmes View Post
May God continue to bless you and protect you my friend. (Along with the .45's of course)
I prefer my .40 cal S&W due to the ligh er weight, less kick. They are a nice caliber between the 9mm and .45 cal.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3, 1997 Chevy truck,
similarly scary!

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/...os-of-himself/
Old 11-18-2012, 09:11 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtkw View Post
What kind of door you have for front door? You know it is NOT easy to kick any front door out of its locking system. Even for a strong man, it takes a lot of impact to knock a door down and hurt like hell afterward.
They were pretty simple, builder spec doors. the metal pins ran along an aluminum frame and into the frame of the door. Because I didn't like this configuration, I had an 'L-shaped' piece of steel inserted into the top of the door frame in the house. The bottom of the 'L' had a hole drilled through for the door pin while screws secured the piece to the door frame. This, I figured would make it that much more difficult to kick in with a metal insert for the door pin instead of wood. This little feature may have been what saved a life that day.

The pics from the door show that the aluminum frame had broken completely. The upper/lower sections of the frame with the door pins were in tact. The pins were not broken and did not retract. This is the top of the door with the temporary work around in place until they are removed and replaced by new doors:

This is the bottom of the door rail. You can see the temporary metal doors in place as well. The pins would have gone into the concrete here.

While not preferred at all, this band-aid fix allows the doors to function and is functional enough in the short term while we await the replacement doors. We still haven't told our daughter about the incident, opting instead to reinforce our discussions about personal safety, home incident drills, and being aware of your surroundings/strangers. We may add some efforts to free the dog from his kennel into our drill. He sleeps comfortably in the space he considers his own and even prefers to 'hang out' there when he has the choice of an open door.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1117121528 (Medium) - Copy.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	349931   Click image for larger version

Name:	1117121528b (Medium) - Copy.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	349932  
Old 11-28-2012, 08:29 AM
Poet of Signature Quotes

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 328is
I had an odd incident that was sort of similar with a census taker. I was about 2 miles from house while my wife was at home just getting out of the shower. She called me in a panic saying that a green Ford Taurus had come to the front of the house (we live in the middle of nowhere on 14 acres) and that a bald guy had rung the door. She could see the top of his head from the upstairs landing looking through the small glass windows in our door. Our dog went crazy (not a large or mean looking dog BTW) and he rang two or three more times, then tried to open the door! She screamed and he left driving off. Unfortunately I was not my BMW that day but my Trailblazer and got home to find him at the end of the next street. I had already called the police and I drove right up to where he was blocking him in, he having no idea who I was. When I got out of my truck the exchange was most unpleasant for him. I wanted to kill him right then and there for threatening my wife's well being and scaring her like that. He said he was with the census and I told him I did not give a sh*t, and I would have put a bullet in him happily had he gained entry into my home. I know now much like PropellerHead I would also kill someone in the same situation. The police did nothing. He was eventually caught doing a similar thing a few miles away by a friend of mine who trains German Shepherds as a hobby including attack training. He was across the street from his house when the guy rang his doorbell and when no one answered he went into my buddy's open garage having no idea that he and Jaeger (said trained GSD) were across the the street at the neighbors drinking beer in the living room. My buddy unleashed the dog and Jaeger cornered him in the garage where he held him until the police arrived and took him in. The dog literally caused him to urinate himself. That dog held that guy in that garage snarling, drooling and growling for 15 minutes without biting him. He ("Census man") was also told by my buddy that he would have just shot him had he walked into that house.
After that I instructed my wife at length on the feature and abilities of each gun in the house, how to use them, and when to use them.

I am glad you are okay and I am glad you got all the extra security features for your home, and I hope no one ever threatens you or yours again. I would also be to happy to provide an alibi for your whereabouts on any night that guy ever goes "missing" should you find him again.

"It doesn't do any good for me to know more than you if you aren't going to listen to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
So let it be written, so let it be done.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:42 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

The steps to our home security have been slow but deliberate. I purchased a ShotLock gun 'safe' a few weeks ago and finally got around to installing it. I like it enough to purchase and install another for a different part of the house. The review will follow in a minute.

My idea for the device was to offer easy access for adults to a handgun in another part of my home than the bedrooms area. The necessary key for our family was that it be secure from children who are often running around our home. We have keyed wall safes in our living area that provide this security and access, but it's some distance from where I wanted access.

I would have liked a device that would offer me the security from theft should a future break-in happen (were I home or not). This is not that device. Held on by only a few screws and secured to the side of a desk or a kitchen cabinet, a screwdriver could pry it away. Access to the unit once it's free of the house is a couple simple screws. This is why I placed quotes around the word 'safe' above.

But it does do what I want. No child is going to access the weapon without some genuine motivation, some time, and the alarm sounding upon access. The combination sequence can be completed by at least three simultaneous pressing of 1-4 buttons. This device does also have a key. Nice for if/when the battery dies. Smart storage for the keys as the other wall safes will mitigate their use.

Here are some pictures:

In other news, the security doors were delayed in delivery. They should be installed by the end of February. I have expressed regret for the expense, but that is until something jars my memory of that day. Recently, it was my visit again to a local (actual) gun safe store. These are fire protective safes that range in time and temperature resistance according to what you want to spend. When we travel, we will remove weapons from these smaller safes and store them in the larger one.

The advice by a person there was to purchase a larger safe than you need not for guns, but for all the other things that you want to protect. This resonated with me to the point that I have a plan for the next security improvement. The safe I have picked out has internal power and Ethernet connections. I will use this to house and protect my home security camera DVR. When installed, the cameras will record to the device secure in the safe. It will run on a UPS as well in case we get some adventurous house 'guests' while we're away.

The completed steps may take even as much as a year as I thoroughly plan and finance each step to enhance my home's safety while considering the responsibility in doing so.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	open - Copy.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	376.5 KB
ID:	358968   Click image for larger version

Name:	closed - Copy.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	358972  
Old 01-24-2013, 04:43 PM
1st Cav!

Mein Auto: e90
Looks great and functional, man. Does the safe you're planning on buying with ethernet connectivity make it susceptible to any kind of cyber attack or hacking?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:10 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybluesky View Post
Looks great and functional, man. Does the safe you're planning on buying with ethernet connectivity make it susceptible to any kind of cyber attack or hacking?
The only function of the ethernet is a pass through, so nothing should be affected. I am a bit concerned ab how it affects the fire rating, but that's a secondary concern to my desires.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:09 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

You wont believe this.

I saw him. HIM. THE guy. Yep.. that MFer whom I am sworn to kill- and by the way- I mean SWORN. Like I want him DEAD. And I saw him. We were in the same place. I saw his walk. I saw his face. I saw his car. This was HIM.

So.. I did what any reasonable man with his daughter and a loaded .45 would. I told her to stay put in the car and secured a hollow point in the chamber. It was damn near ON.

And I walked into the place and talked to the (armed) security guard. I told him what happened so long ago. I told him I had a loaded gun and I wanted to use it. I told him that I was certain this was the man who so disrupted my life. Who made me so different than I was before we met. I told him I'd promised that I'd kill him. I told him I wanted to do it. I needed to be talked out of it.

The guard and I talked for a moment. He told me what he thought. He showed me HIS weapon. We talked about what he might do if there was a problem. It took a day for me to realize that *I* might be the problem he was talking about. I studied the man in the store.

I called my wife. My sweet, unattached, (and at least for this) non-emotional partner. Her first question: "Where is our daughter?" That's one fine question. It certainly is different from "Are you sure it's him?" So I confessed. I'd left her on a cool night locked in the X5. She was ten feet from the door. I didn't want her to see what I was going to do. I was protecting her, you see.

"Go get her and take her in to the store. You won't do anything stupid if she's with you." Well... THAT was pretty good advice. We go round and round she and I at times odd and even about a lot of things. But I have to tell you. When she's thinking about saving lives, she's thinking well. So I did as I was told. I met the guard at the door. He looked at my 8 yr old girl and said. "So? we gonna have a problem here tonight or can I call the police and let them take care of it?"

I told him I brought her out so we wouldn't have a problem. He asked if I was certain about the man, and I just could not say I was. Not at the time. I think if I could have said I was certain, I would have killed the man. I think I'd be in jail right now on Murder charges. I think I would be wishing I could see my girls. I think a bunch of men would be trying to figure out the path of least resistance to my ass. He told me that this POS wasn't worth it. He looked at me and told me that what I wanted to do would ruin my little girl's life. That this mans life being over at my hands was not worth what it would do to the lives I hold dear.

He made sense.

So I shopped for what I needed. The man left the store. With his face. And his walk. And his car. And his... life... That fncker. He should be dead.

He left. I left. And I returned home. To the place I might never see again if I had been unable to control myself. It felt good. But that man should be dead. And I want to kill him. But I probably won't. Because I just can't bring myself to trade his worthless life for a few speed bumps in mine.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Fiver
Wow. Don't know what I'd have done. But I do know this.

Your wife is a wise woman, and the security guard deserves a tip, or a gift card for dinner or something. He likely saved you from . . . . well, God knows, but hard to put a price on it.

Did you see the kind of car the guy was driving and/or get his license? Or you just saw him walking in?
Old 02-18-2013, 05:46 AM

Mein Auto: Audi a4 quattro 6/MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dreamer View Post
Did you see the kind of car the guy was driving and/or get his license? Or you just saw him walking in?
Was curious if you got the tag info too...

And...*****....what were the odds of that happening. Thank God your wife remained level headed (I'd hate to think of how I'd react in that situation).
Old 02-18-2013, 05:59 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinSand View Post
Was curious if you got the tag info too...
That's the thing that shows how 'off' I was. I saw him exit the white Gran Marquis. The one with the stock aluminum wheels and no center caps over the lugs. With a different set on the back than the front. Rear end damage to the trunk was new/different than I recall.

But it was his gate. The way he limped to the left. I thought he was sore or screwed up from kicking in my door. No. That's his walk. His hip is screwed up. That's probably why we didn't fight. He's broken. All I could think of was him. Not the plates. Not tailing him home to see where HE lives. None of that sensible stuff. (ok, tailing him home was not sensible)

I will go back to the store and talk to the kind man who was in control of himself. He could have made a real problem for me get very big. He was within his rights to make my presence in the store a problem. But he stayed calm and he helped me. A good soul, that's true.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:19 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Holy cow.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:32 AM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: It has two dipsticks
I tell people all the time that security is more than security, they are therapist

Good job on holding back. Kids hold you back from doing stupid things when you have them in your conscience.

I know to you, your world and your families world was flipped upside down, but believe me when I say that you were just a random target of his life style. If he had it planned out, he would have known you were in the house and he probably would have killed you. Being that he left, he was not prepared for you to be there.

As you said, he's not worth being behind bars for. He's scum that has forgotten about you. You're a husband and father. Far more important.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: Porsche
Wow, that's messed up. Your wife is a pretty sharp lady. Don't know what I would have done, although I guess thankfully, we don't have concealed carry in Canada. Don't take this the wrong way, but have you "seen" anyone about this whole situation? Sounds like maybe you could use a therapist... No disrespect intended.