Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 01-19-2013, 02:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
How to prevent leather seats from cracking?

I saw a picture of a 1997 5 series in ebay with leather seats in horrible condition. It's cracked with some tears. How to prevent this?

My guess is that driver weight, how rough the driver is, and sunlight contribute.

My guess is that one should sit in the seat gently, not carry sharp objects in one's pockets or sit on house keys. Leather conditioner might help. So is parking in a garage or sitting on a seat cushion.

Any ideas?
Ads by Google
Old 01-19-2013, 02:16 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Sun is the worst enemy. My '01 330i has the cheap leather , not their nappa leather, which was not available, still look new because it is always in the garage when it is at home. I also try to park it in the shade whenever possible. The rear seats rarely got used, and my weight is much less than the standard couch potatoes american. I think I used leather treatment on the seats only once, but never on the driver seat because I don't like to sit on any type of oily conditioner.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 01-19-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW220i View Post
I saw a picture of a 1997 5 series in ebay with leather seats in horrible condition. It's cracked with some tears. How to prevent this?

My guess is that driver weight, how rough the driver is, and sunlight contribute.

My guess is that one should sit in the seat gently, not carry sharp objects in one's pockets or sit on house keys. Leather conditioner might help. So is parking in a garage or sitting on a seat cushion.

Any ideas?
The best bet is to keep them clean and conditioned. You do not have to worry about how you sit on it as long as it hasn't been allowed to dry out. Keeping them out of the sun is also important if possible.

I vacuum mine regularly with a horsehair brush attachment on my shop vac to keep the crap out of the seams then wash them with a cool damp washcloth.

I use Lexol every 6 months and they are as soft and supple as when new.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:34 PM
Living in Fast Forward

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
Definitely keep the car clean and conditionied. UV rays are the worst, especially if you have black leather.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:32 AM
Original Owners Club

Mein Auto: '10 E93;'66 MGB;'73 240Z
Easiest way is to get the Leatherette - saves some cash as well.

Other Cars:
1973 Datsun 240Z
1966 MGB Roadster
Old 01-25-2013, 02:48 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to jacobhenry1232
Mein Auto: Hundai
Please do not use saddle soap or mink oil on your car leather. These products are not meant for the modern finishes on leather and will casue damage.

Leather care is straightforward and if done correctly will keep your leather in good condition for a long time

You need to use a good quality water based foam leather cleaner. With light coloured leather dye transfer from clothing can be a problem although using a good quality leather protector will help inhibit this. Black obviously does not show this problem.

Last edited by tim330i; 01-29-2013 at 08:11 AM.